Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Very windy today, decided just to spend some time on the range instead of hitting the course. I am working on building more confidence in my swing and I don't want to go out on the course on a windy day and have tough conditions hurt my score rather than a poor swing. The range session went great though. If I can hit the ball on the course like I did on the range today then I have no doubt I can start posting some low scores again. Thats the key though, I just need to get the range swing to go to the course. I am keeping things simple though so it shouldn't be hard to do. Right now my mind is hurting me more than my swing, so I just need to make my mind get out of the way and let me just swing the club. I definitely feel like I'm making progress though because I don't get as frustrated on the course as I used to. Spent some time around the chipping green with the Hex Black ball as well since I have been playing with the Chrome for over a month now. The Black spins a lot more so it is taking a little adjustment but today went very well with the wedges as well. I'm really looking forward to the match play tournament starting at my course this week. I am starting off against one of the favorites to win, so I will need to play well to win. Win or lose it is going to give me some good match play experience because I have never played in a match play tournament before.

It was a beautiful day today so after work I went up to the club to see if anyone was looking for a game.
There was nobody on the range but both courses were packed so I decided it was time to work on my short game since I had the whole members section of the range to myself.

I left my bag on the cart and the only clubs I took down to the range were my three callaway forged wedges and a putter.
After warming up I laser'ed some targets at the range at 120 yards 100 yards, 60, 40 and 30 yards.

The 120 and 100 yard flags are important for me as those are full swing shots with my wedges and I really need to be confident with them. My 50* callaway forged wedge was all over the 120 flag and that is my carry number with that wedge from this point on. My 54* wedge was also flying straight at the flag but was carrying past the 100 yard spot by about 5 yards. This is what I have been seeing lately but it was good to get some confirmation of my yardages with those clubs.

Now it was time to really work on what I have been struggling with lately, my pitching. I decided that instead of using multiple clubs I would just for now use my 54* wedge for all my pitching to get my confidence back up and really dial in that club for the next few weeks before trying to pitch wih my 58 or 50 wedges.

After 5 minutes it was clear to me what I have been soon wrong with my wedges and after that I had a great session and it really made me feel good to just hit those shots again and again. I was swaying on my pitches and not keepin my weight on my front side, also I was getting quick on the way down. I think I might simply take a page out of the gospel by TC and play most of my short game shots with my one wedge, in my case the 54* callaway forged wedge.

Now I went to the practice green and simply worked on my chips working only with the 54* wedge. I have been hitting my chips well recently but my distance control has completely disappered and again I found that this was me getting quick in the transition and in the down swing. Instead of keeping good tempo and controlling my distances with the length of my backswing, I guess I've been tryin to hit them either harder or softer to get my distances. This clearly has not been working.

After seeing some good results with my chipping, I decided that I would go out and play a few holes. I played 6 holes on the mountain course and played them at even par before I hit a road block of groups in front of me and I wasn't in the mood to play some slow golf as a single.

I will update more club details in the appropriate threads but I couldnt be happier with my game tee to green right now, especially with the Razr fit driver and 3 wood.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work, IN and Breezy!

I took a lesson yesterday. Won't bore you with details, but it was great as always. Shouldn't have waited so long. Picked up 7mph swing speed on my irons and 10mph on my driver. Swaying and shifting weight wrong again. Shocker! Subbing in a club men's league tonight and figure I'll spend an hour on the range beforehand. Hopefully with some new clubs :)

Played 3 practice holes last night at my home course. After that I played the same 3 holes again with 5 balls from 100 and then 115 yards and in. Basically, I played those holes over like a par 3 course. Really hit some good approach shots and putted pretty well. I am getting better at putting myself in position for birdies, but I can do better. I need to start hitting my approach shots closer. The shots I hit last night probably averaged about 20 feet to the pin. If I want to start piling up the birdies, that number needs to come down.

Good posts CB and IN. Good to know that things are still going in the right direction!

The iron swing really came alive from the lesson. Driver was good on the range but I couldn't take it to the course. I was diving at the ball and either popping up or massive slicing it. I was eventually pretty happy though because I was swinging hard and the last two drives I had were very close to what I was looking for. Just need a little more practice I think.

Posted via tapatalk

Has clinic last night, which was perfect as it coincided with the arrival of my MC irons. It is with the pro I am working with so as he is walking down the line he gets to me, looks at my bag and immediately says "New weapons...(pulls one)...Nice, now lets see what you can do with them." I proceeded to stripe 4 in a row, and he says "well those seem to work" kinda laughs and starts to walk away. Then he comes back and says to me "by the way, your backswing is perfect and you aren't collapsing your front side anymore. Why haven't you been in for your second lesson?" This time it was my turn to laugh, because I couldn't tell I had fixed it. It still felt the same to me. So, I have a lesson scheduled for 11am Saturday. I am interested to see what we will work on this time.

Can't wait to get back home a d get back to my prep!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i took to the range last night (finally). but i figured it would be a very good idea to get a good swing going with the new Cleveland 588 CB irons and the M3 & M4 Mashie hybrids. the wind was blowing right in our faces, so it made it very hard to judge distances which didn't make me too happy since that's one of the main reasons you goto the range...to dial in your distances. but i figured that will come with time and usually the more accustom i get to a club and the better i start swinging it, the farther i end up hitting it anyway.

i started off with the old faithful 6 iron and was striking the ball pretty well. from there i moved up to the 5 iron, and then back down the set to the PW...hitting enough balls to where i was comfortable with each club. i hit less balls with the 9 and PW because i was immediately pleased with the first few results.

i wanted to get a good swing going to identify my goto and misses. after this session, it would appear that my goto will be a high accurate fade. my misses were when i picked up too quick on the club and top it a little, creating an ugly little low pull/slice.
i was able to work the irons pretty well, hitting a nice draw at ease most of the time....just have to work on my transition and getting my hands to turn over at impact at just the right time.

i moved on the hitting the M3 and M4 Mashies as well as my Cleveland Classic 310.

i was able to immediately identify my misses with the hybrids and that was a big high slice. i tried to commit to a consistent ball flight with those but it was tough. i was hitting them pretty solid and i don't want to say that i was spraying them cuz it wasn't that bad...but i'll have to get used to them if i plan on using them in tight situations.
one thing i did like is that they were pretty workable. i had no problem hitting them right-to-left.

there's no doubt that i will be making more trips up to the range to get everything dialed in quickly.

i'm super pumped for tonight's prep which will be playing 9 holes of league play with a complete set of Cleveland gear!!

i took to the range last night (finally). but i figured it would be a very good idea to get a good swing going with the new Cleveland 588 CB irons and the M3 & M4 Mashie hybrids. the wind was blowing right in our faces, so it made it very hard to judge distances which didn't make me too happy since that's one of the main reasons you goto the range...to dial in your distances. but i figured that will come with time and usually the more accustom i get to a club and the better i start swinging it, the farther i end up hitting it anyway.

i started off with the old faithful 6 iron and was striking the ball pretty well. from there i moved up to the 5 iron, and then back down the set to the PW...hitting enough balls to where i was comfortable with each club. i hit less balls with the 9 and PW because i was immediately pleased with the first few results.

i wanted to get a good swing going to identify my goto and misses. after this session, it would appear that my goto will be a high accurate fade. my misses were when i picked up too quick on the club and top it a little, creating an ugly little low pull/slice.
i was able to work the irons pretty well, hitting a nice draw at ease most of the time....just have to work on my transition and getting my hands to turn over at impact at just the right time.

i moved on the hitting the M3 and M4 Mashies as well as my Cleveland Classic 310.

i was able to immediately identify my misses with the hybrids and that was a big high slice. i tried to commit to a consistent ball flight with those but it was tough. i was hitting them pretty solid and i don't want to say that i was spraying them cuz it wasn't that bad...but i'll have to get used to them if i plan on using them in tight situations.
one thing i did like is that they were pretty workable. i had no problem hitting them right-to-left.

there's no doubt that i will be making more trips up to the range to get everything dialed in quickly.

i'm super pumped for tonight's prep which will be playing 9 holes of league play with a complete set of Cleveland gear!!

Were you hitting off of grass, or mats? I only ask because it is really difficult to hit the mashie hybrids off of mats IMO.

Were you hitting off of grass, or mats? I only ask because it is really difficult to hit the mashie hybrids off of mats IMO.

straight grass brother!

straight grass brother!

Hmm...I guess you will just have to leave the Mashie swings to me for the first round. hahaha

At a bit of a loss after my range session this afternoon. I am hitting 13 clubs in my bag pretty well right now but can't seem to find my groove with the driver. My local pro dosen't seem to be much help and I am more than a bit frustrated. Will have to see if I can find the swing thread Kmac posted quite a while ago. Freddie gave some great advice to Kmac that had be hitting the ball fairly well after I put it in play.

Playing 18 tomorrow morning- first 18 with my new Callaway sticks!! Can't wait. Will update this thread after.

I'm on Injured Reserve until at least Tuesday. Tendinitis in my left elbow and I aggravated it today. I shouldn't have played because it hurt anyway, but I just got the Razr X's in yesterday. Just going to take it easy until the pain is gone.

I was hitting them soooo well today too, until the fateful swings. Ouch.

I'm on Injured Reserve until at least Tuesday. Tendinitis in my left elbow and I aggravated it today. I shouldn't have played because it hurt anyway, but I just got the Razr X's in yesterday. Just going to take it easy until the pain is gone.

Take it easy smalls, you are really working hard and your scores are showing and your new clubs will be working out for you good luck and don't hurt yourself eh.

Take it easy smalls, you are really working hard and your scores are showing and your new clubs will be working out for you good luck and don't hurt yourself eh.

Yeah. Dumb thing, but when you get new clubs, you gotta play them! haha

Yeah. Dumb thing, but when you get new clubs, you gotta play them! haha

Yeah I know what you mean, I had really bad hand pain when I got my mashie but I still played haha.

Back home from LA....new irons will be here tomorrow afternoon...I smell lots of golf in my future this weekend....normally I would go play Friday morning...but I am stalking the UPS guy tomorrow till my sticks get here then headed to the course.

Sorry to hear about that elbow, Smalls.

I'm getting in a bonus range session tonight with the new irons/hybrids. Hoping it's not too windy, so I can get an idea of distances to start with out on the course. I'll spend the other half or more working on the shorties.

Played in my match play round yesterday. I got off to a good start with 2 pars to my opponents 2 bogey start. 2 up thru 2. I hit a good drive on 3 but I took too aggressive of a line and found water. Dropped and hit a good shot to have a chance to save par, just missed and made bogey to his par. 1 up thru 3 and played the 4th poorly, opponent made another par. AS thru 4. On the 5th a shorter par 3 he hit a horrible tee ball, I hit it to 18 feet. My opponent proceeds to almost hole out from 60 yards, par for him. My birdie putt slipped just below the hole, par. We both bogey the par 5 6th. He wins 7 with a birdie and I fire back with a birdie on the par 3 8th. On the 9th I go first and am in the right rough but with water all down the left that's not bad. Opponent hits one down the middle. My shot into the green was so/so but I'm on the green first. What happens next is crazy, he came what looked like a foot away from sinking his 2nd shot, conceded birdie. I gave my putt a good run but it lipped out and I lost 1 down. I like to think if we were going 18 I could have outlasted him. I felt good about the game and match the entire time until that putt on 9 stayed out. Great prep work though, match play is great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take it easy man! you don't want to go backwards in your prep work!

Jake- it's good to see you back in the saddle with what you've had going on recently, nice job!

Played in league yesterday. Shot a miserable 46 with 16 putts including a 4 putt. I hit 5 out of 7 fairways and I forgot how many greens I hit. My short game was really off, but I was also on a conference call for the first 3 holes. Really messed me up I think.

Off to the course...wish me luck

Back