Transition from cavity to blade irons

allenpc28

Reaction score
Handicap
None
When you made the transition from cavity back to blade irons did anyone gain a ton of distance on their irons shots? I love the feel and workability, but I am still getting used to the new distances for my irons. I have always heard of people losing a few yards when making the switch, curious if there was anyone else who had the same case as I have.

When I switched I didn't see much difference in yardages. Maybe 5 yards at most, but with that being said I played musclebacks, then went to blades, so I'm not sure if my experience is valid.

I actually lost distance when I went to forged blade irons, that is one reason I went back to more forgiving irons and they really compliment my game!

A lot of times the lofts of blades are a little weaker, which would be the culprit behind this. Now, are we talking transition from RBZ Max to TP MB irons, or the transition from 712CB to 712MB irons? There's suite a difference between those two which are technically both cavitybacks.

When I switched I didn't see much difference in yardages. Maybe 5 yards at most, but with that being said I played musclebacks, then went to blades, so I'm not sure if my experience is valid.

I lost about 5 yards.

A lot of times the lofts of blades are a little weaker, which would be the culprit behind this.
This is what I was thinking it was as well.

I didn't lose or gain any yards on clean strikes but your misses will be brutal. Expect 10-15 yards on shots even 2-3 grooves off.

When you made the transition from cavity back to blade irons did anyone gain a ton of distance on their irons shots? I love the feel and workability, but I am still getting used to the new distances for my irons. I have always heard of people losing a few yards when making the switch, curious if there was anyone else who had the same case as I have.

I would almost be willing to bet it's because the lofts are different in the clubs. What irons did you come from and which ones are you hitting now?

I lost distance when I switched from a pure cavity back to a muscle cavity. But that was a result of weaker lofts more than anything. The biggest change I had to get used to was the ball flew a decent amount lower with the muscle cavity's as compared to the cavity backs.

~Rock

It depends upon your ballflight. If you hit really high shots now, you may gain some distance with blades because by their nature, blades are designed to hit the ball lower.
Id be willing to bet though that you would lose distance with blades simply because of the lower launch and smaller sweet spot.

I had a similar situation happen to me when I switched. It just takes time to get used to your new clubs and the distances

I tried out a friend's blade irons a couple of times. When it flush on the sweetspot, the blades traveled as far as my cavity backs and felt great. When I missed the sweetspot on the blades, I lost about 10-15 yards and the feel was not so great.

Other than that experiment, I have no desire to play with blades out of principle, namely not making golf any more difficult than it already is (especially with my handicap of 9). It's that same principle which stops me from playing the tips when I know I can't shoot even par from even from the mid tees.

i lost 5 yards give or take with my muscleback blades vs. cavity backs i used to have, which i blame the lofts for. my ballstriking has been exponentially better though with the blades. i won't be going back to cavities any time soon....IMO.

I went from Titleist 990-B's to Nike Forged blades. The only real distance loss I notice was on off-center hits, which is to be expected. Ball-flight is lower with the blades over the 990-B's. Probably the hardest thing to get used to, is being forced to hit the sweet spot to get your exact yardage. If you play your 6 iron at 195 and you get an off-center hit, I would imagine your shot only went 180-185. But from a pure feel standpoint, when you flush a blade, there is no other feeling like it.

When you made the transition from cavity back to blade irons did anyone gain a ton of distance on their irons shots?

Usually it's the other way around-with blades you will lose some distance because of the different lofts, cg, etc.

I recently switched from the original Cleveland launcher irons to the cobra s3 pro The cobras have weaker lofts yet I gained about a half club in length two things the Cleveland's went really high and I list some distance the cobras with the same shaft go higher than my plaing partners but not like the launchers so because of that I gained the distance it is hard to trust at first but it does happen. This is just an observation from my own game.

Not exactly blades, but I get longer shots with my current Mizuno MP-57's than my last set, Burner 2.0's.
+ I get more backspin when needed, workability, and my "normal" shot is a draw instead of being a fade/slice.

I know that this can happen. I believe it has very little to do with the head and much more likely that the shafts in your new blades are a better fit for your swing. I have two set of irons, one set of blades and a set of forged cavity backs. I put a high launch shaft in my blades and have normal stock true temper shafts in the cavity backs. I hit the blades much higher and more consistent than the cavity backs. Because of that I tend to play the blades more than the cavity backs even though I know I should play the irons with more forgiveness.

I know that this can happen. I believe it has very little to do with the head and much more likely that the shafts in your new blades are a better fit for your swing. I have two set of irons, one set of blades and a set of forged cavity backs. I put a high launch shaft in my blades and have normal stock true temper shafts in the cavity backs. I hit the blades much higher and more consistent than the cavity backs. Because of that I tend to play the blades more than the cavity backs even though I know I should play the irons with more forgiveness.

Having the right fitted shaft does play a difference. But the head also plays an important factor and can't be discounted.

The shaft on the Burners (and the club, length & lie) was fitted, the Mizunos not... :)

But, I have to say that I worked on my swing quite heavily during the winter, and that's most likely the reason for longer shots. I don't want to try the Burners, as my game is improving all the time (at the moment).

I didnt have much problem transition at all. I enjoy the blades because they help me learn the sweet spot and fine tune my swing

Similar distances when I switched, factoring in somewhat weaker lofts.

Back