2012 US Open Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

Nothing better then golf, yard work outside and then go HAM on mexican (remember that TMex guy?) beers while watching awesome ridiculous conditions at the US Open.
QFT! same schededule for me, except I don't get to play golf and will instead go to the pool with my 2.5 yr old.

Haha, don't mind me I'm just grouchy today. Carry on!

haha dude its US Open saturday. Are you working today or something? Profess your love for Gmac duey.

QFT! same schededule for me, except I don't get to play golf and will instead go to the pool with my 2.5 yr old.

Well, Im not playing today just hitting up Golfsmith and hopefully the range before doing the yard. Then its US Open coverage time.

haha dude its US Open saturday. Are you working today or something? Profess your love for Gmac duey.

Well, Im not playing today just hitting up Golfsmith and hopefully the range before doing the yard. Then its US Open coverage time.

I love his putting, but the pink slacks just make my knee's weak, lol. Got the whole weekend off ..... Oh, I see what's up, you have me messing up the thread now!!

I love his putting, but the pink slacks just make my knee's weak, lol. Got the whole weekend off ..... Oh, I see what's up, you have me messing up the thread now!!

LOL come on Due stop derailing the dang thread haha. I wasnt feeling the pink slacks either dude.

Will DJ make a charge today? LOL!!!

Rickie Fowler made the cut. That's something.

I think I'm worn out on hearing the word "stinger" every time Tiger hits the tee box.

Will DJ make a charge today? LOL!!!

Rickie Fowler made the cut. That's something.

Dufner has this in the bag, but I'm wondering about Bubba. Will he go home, or stick around in the gallery and play on his phone against the rules?

LOL come on Due stop derailing the dang thread haha. I wasnt feeling the pink slacks either dude.

Little late to the party here today, but some observations of what I read.

I agree, Tiger won't be the 54 hole leader...I like Gmac chances.
Gmac had the best pants of the day yesterday, I will probably find me a pair of those pants for next years Outing.
Low round will probably be someone random. Maybe a Bo van Pelt, DL3, ZJ, someone like that who gets out early while the course is still playable and put down a number.

Things are looking really interesting heading into the weekend and all of my picks made the cut.

Kuchar +1 (T9)
Garcia +4 (T18)
Rose +4 (T18)
Stricker +4 (T18) - after playing the last 2 holes in -3

I think I'm worn out on hearing the word "stinger" every time Tiger hits the tee box.

He hits it a lot. And with the dry fairways, it's working. #1 in fairways hit on the week.

He hits it a lot. And with the dry fairways, it's working. #1 in fairways hit on the week.

It's the perfect shot with the wind and these fw's that slide everything side ways, it's funny how far right he aim's though. I wish I had that shot, people would say "Get in the hole"!

I'm not talking about the shot itself, I mean the announcers talking about it on every tee box.

Can we talk about this golf course for a second. I'm not a fan at all. The fairways are stupidly narrow and stupidly sloped. Add to that the rough that looks like some hay field and it's almost just stupid. I don't mind firm fairways and greens but there has to be somewhere for guys to miss. Watching dudes hit their 2nd out of the right rough on #17 to the extreme left of the fairway and then watch the ball roll all the way down into the right first or second cut is just dumb. I understand having a 3 shot par 5, but when guys can't keep a lay up shot in the fairway, that's just idiotic. Sometimes there's no reward for hitting the green in regulation either. If you miss a 5 x 5 section the ball rolls off into oblivion. I guess that's the US Open though.

These are supposedly the best players in the world... It should be hard... Really nasty hard.

Can we talk about this golf course for a second. I'm not a fan at all. The fairways are stupidly narrow and stupidly sloped. Add to that the rough that looks like some hay field and it's almost just stupid. I don't mind firm fairways and greens but there has to be somewhere for guys to miss. Watching dudes hit their 2nd out of the right rough on #17 to the extreme left of the fairway and then watch the ball roll all the way down into the right first or second cut is just dumb. I understand having a 3 shot par 5, but when guys can't keep a lay up shot in the fairway, that's just idiotic. Sometimes there's no reward for hitting the green in regulation either. If you miss a 5 x 5 section the ball rolls off into oblivion. I guess that's the US Open though.

I agree. This is a tricked up course IMO. That silly shaved slope that Tiger missed yesterday was stupid. He hit in front of the green for cripes sake and should have been rewarded.

I agree with this, TC. Im all for a challenging course, but this is just a bit ridiculous. Doglegs where the fairway is sloped the opposite direction, not being able to hold greens with a 3rd shot in to a Par 5, etc.

This is a set-up resulting in last years destruction by Rory, the fact that its 7100, and nothing they can do with terrian. Do I think its a good course for an open, no. Do I like how they have it setup, yes. This is a problem the USGA will always have. Old courses don't play well for todays game in major settings. They either have to grow the rough up and make the greens like parking lots or make them play 8000 yards and older courses were designed to be streached out like that. So we get parking lot greens, 25 yard wide fairways and 5 inch rough. They don't want the winning score to be more than 5-under and they have acheived that this year. This also is why if I ever designed a course it would be designed with expansion and length in mind.

I'm not going to lie, I like the course. Sure it's very difficult and there are some areas that are suspect. But I'm enjoying the open more this year than last year. The area on the side of 17 isn't great, but heck Tiger hit one hell of a shot to give himself a look at bird from there, which he missed. Is it my favorite US Open venue? No, but I do like it. The greens are firm, but not as close to what some where at Shinnecock last time it was there. Hell they were watering that one Par 3 after every group just to give the guys a chance. I was lucky enough to be at that one all 4 days and it was crazy to see that.

46a42550-ab6b-3f9d.jpg

Today's pin locations. Looks tough.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

46a42550-ab6b-3f9d.jpg

Today's pin locations. Looks tough.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using Tapatalk 2

Looks very tough. 17 looks like it is the only hole with a mod green location.

This tapatalk sig line for sale.

I love this course and the setup. The doglegs with the fairway sloping the other way remind me of my school course which has 2 such holes. And I loved watching Tigger's ball roll all the way down after hitting the green. It makes it about missing in the right places.

I'm enjoying the course. The walk up to 18 green is so cool looking.

I love this course and the setup. The doglegs with the fairway sloping the other way remind me of my school course which has 2 such holes. And I loved watching Tigger's ball roll all the way down after hitting the green. It makes it about missing in the right places.

That's the silly part, he hit the green and it still ended up there.

The pin on 17 is tricky today, I bet anything right of that pin rolls down the hill.

Sent from Tapatalk

Just saw the location for 16. That pin is awesome. Right over that bunker. I wonder how many guys will attack it.

I agree it's stupid hard. But how many times do they face a course this tough? Once a year? Let's see who can fight through some golf adversity!

Back