Fairway wood decision

Mav281

Mr Inconsistent
Reaction score
Handicap
I find myself stuck trying to make a decision on which way to go with my fairway wood.

I currently have an RBZ 3 Wood which to be perfectly honest I find to be too long off the tee (only 10 yards shorter than my driver), and unless I am swinging really well I can't hit it off the deck so more often than not find myself falling back on my Rescue 11 3 hybrid from the middle of the fairway which when well struck is good for 220-225.

I game two hybrids at the moment (Rescue 11's) which are set on the closed position, so effectivley play to 19° and 22° respectivley.

So the decision I am trying to make at the moment is wether to opt for a "swap" to an RBZ 3 Wood but the HL version which is 17° which I know I can hit off the deck having tried one before OR go for a Callaway Razr Fit 5 fairway wood at 18°?

I know the RBZ 3 wood is likely to be longer, but I'm just wandering if the Razr Fit 5 wood would be long enough and perhaps give me slightly more versatility off the tee if I needed to get "up and over" things.

All suggestions and comments welcome :)

What if you went for the RBZ 5 Wood? I will give you that little bit less distance that you want, but it'll be easy to adapt to since you already own its "brother", so to speak, and it will have a smaller head so you can hit off the deck even easier than the HL 3W.

My $0.02

What about a shallower faced 3 wood? Some like the Adams Super S or the xhot series.

What about a shallower faced 3 wood? Some like the Adams Super S or the xhot series.

Good advice!

So the decision I am trying to make at the moment is wether to opt for a "swap" to an RBZ 3 Wood but the HL version which is 17° which I know I can hit off the deck having tried one before OR go for a Callaway Razr Fit 5 fairway wood at 18°?

I think blugold is steering you in the right direction.

I was in the same quandary as you. My 13.5* was great off the tee but I didn't get reliable results off the deck. I decided to go with a 17* X Hot Pro. So far, fills the gap perfectly. It's plenty long enough off the tee and easy as a hybrid to hit after that. I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least give it a look...

G20 3W. Money off the tee and deck. Super easy to hit. And now that it is a whole one season old it can be had for a song.

Go for the xhot. It's one of the easiest fairway woods to hit off the deck...at least it was for me. It's definitely my go to club now

Watch the RBZ 5 wood I have one and it's only 1/2" shorter so your going to have the same problem, personally I can hit both off the fairway ok but I found the R11 or R11s easier to hit off the deck and a wee bit shorter to boot.Not a bad alternative to have.

I have both the RBZ 3W and 5W and have no problems hitting either off the deck, but if I had been able to make the outing in a couple of weeks you could have tried hitting my 5W to see if it would be worth a look for you

Not knowing what your yardage gap is between your 3w and 3h, but have you considered a 2H? If you have alreadyand decided against, I would go with the X-hot.

How about an R11 3 wood ...some adjustibility so you may be able to dial it in to fit the gap you want , easy enough to hit off the deck , and pretty cheap to find now....

Or even an R11 5 wood ...adjustable and cheap...

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and input on this one.

I took the comments onboard about the shallower face, and thought back to the middle of last year when I tried my mates 4 wood down the range. He had a Callaway Razr X Black 17* 4 wood. Even after a few swings, I was hitting that really well off the deck, and off the tee I was getting the sort of high ball flight I am looking for in a fairway wood. I don't need it to be stupidly long off the fairway, just something to bridge the gap between the driver and the 3 hybrid - so a 4 wood is ideal for me.

So I've done a little bit of internet shopping this morning and managed to get hold of a brand new Razr X Black 4 wood with headcover at a stupid price - just too good to pass up. I will probably even end up making a few quid getting rid of my RBZ and making the swap. Club should hopefully be with me in the next few days :)

Thanks again for the suggestions guys :)

You need something with a shallower face for sure.

My only piece of advice is if you have a club in your bag you either find yourself not using or avoiding, then take it out and replace with something that you'll use more!

I liked the R11 Fw over the RBZ

You might try the RBZ tour 5 wood it was as long as my old R7 3wood and it is super easy to hit off the deck

I took the comments onboard about the shallower face, and thought back to the middle of last year when I tried my mates 4 wood down the range. He had a Callaway Razr X Black 17* 4 wood. Even after a few swings, I was hitting that really well off the deck, and off the tee I was getting the sort of high ball flight I am looking for in a fairway wood. I don't need it to be stupidly long off the fairway, just something to bridge the gap between the driver and the 3 hybrid - so a 4 wood is ideal for me.

So I've done a little bit of internet shopping this morning and managed to get hold of a brand new Razr X Black 4 wood with headcover at a stupid price - just too good to pass up. I will probably even end up making a few quid getting rid of my RBZ and making the swap. Club should hopefully be with me in the next few days :)

You have made an excellent purchase. The RAZR X Black 4 wood is my club of choice and I see exactly what you saw with it. Great club off the fairway and when teed up, an excellent high ball flight. There is a pretty good thread on here with plenty of us raving about the RAZR X Black, hopefully it will hold you over til the club arrives.

Look forward to hearing how you like it. I've never even considered a 4-wood before this. My only other suggestion would have been a lower lofted hybrid than your 3. Maybe a 17? I've never hit one lower than my 19-degree Cobra, but have wondered how they compare to fairway woods in terms of how easy they are to hit off fairways.

I would have said the RXB as well i've gone from never hitting woods from the fairway to having enough confidence to go after par 5's in 2.

Great choice.

Nice bit of feedback guys appreciate it.

I will get some feedback up on this FW wood once I have it in my hands and againstad a chance to hit it again.

I liked the R11 Fw over the RBZ

Franklin's right for what it sounds like what you're looking for. I have an R11s that I'd trade you. PM me if interested. Or anyone else that's interested as well.

i used to game the r11 rescues then got hold of an RBZ tour spoon (13.5*) 3W that bombs with a nice gradual flight after swapping out the stock shaft,i also got hold of a cheap RBZ 7W which is awesome,my go to club if all else fails,im toying with the idea of getting a 4/5 wood to bridge the gap between 3w and 7w..after realising there re woods other than 3 and 5 i think i wont be going back to hybrids.

What shaft do you have in your tour spoon? Hw far are you hitting it? I was thinking of ditching the driver and getting it but I want a stock shaft, not the tp shaft because I hit my other rocketballz fairways so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What shaft do you have in your tour spoon? Hw far are you hitting it? I was thinking of ditching the driver and getting it but I want a stock shaft, not the tp shaft because I hit my other rocketballz fairways so good.

i have the aldila DVS 60g ,off the tee the best ive had is 230 but ide say 215/220 is a good average,from the fairway its not far off the same (maybe nearer 210 than 220) i love the flight of it now,the original shaft (if memory serves) was a 75g stiff matrix ozik which flt like i was swinging lumber,the times i did hit it it was low and right,now its a low gradual traj which is great fro rollout on long par 5s and if i have to battle the wind.if you play a heavier shaft already you might like the stock offering,i prefer them lighter,also i had it cut down to 43" same as my 7 wood,so standard if you used to it might get you more distance (im a 96mph avg swing speed with a ball speed of 143 mph avg)

Back