Which driver loft should I chose?

sabig27

Reaction score
Handicap
I know this is a broad question ahead of time, but here it goes. I found a good deal to buy a Fast 12 Adams driver for around $100. The choice I need to make is should I chose a 10.5 or 12.5? I tend to hit a strong power fade :banghead:, with about a 85 mph swing speed and a regular flex. I play at low elevation on usually moist grass. I'm sure there is other things to consider like launch angles, but I do not have this information. Thanks for your opinions ahead of time

Well what is the loft on your driver now? Do you hit it really high?

High. And most likely, higher than you think you need to.

I play a 12.5, but it feels I need more distance of a 10.5, although the accuracy of a higher loft wouldn't hurt either. Hence, my indecision.

Check out the characteristics of shafts in your current gamer and the new club. You may find they are different, in which case performance from the new 12.5 probably won't be the same as the current driver.

I know this is a broad question ahead of time, but here it goes. I found a good deal to buy a Fast 12 Adams driver for around $100. The choice I need to make is should I chose a 10.5 or 12.5? I tend to hit a strong power fade :banghead:, with about a 85 mph swing speed and a regular flex. I play at low elevation on usually moist grass. I'm sure there is other things to consider like launch angles, but I do not have this information. Thanks for your opinions ahead of time

With your swing speed I lean toward suggesting the 12.5* head. It depends on your angle of attack though. Basically we don't have enough info to make a definite recommendation for you.

The 12.5* head will give you a higher ball flight, higher launch angle and more backspin which should help you with your "power fade".

I play a 12.5, but it feels I need more distance of a 10.5, although the accuracy of a higher loft wouldn't hurt either. Hence, my indecision.

Moving to a 10.5° driver will not necesserily bring you more distance. There are alot of people who are playing 8, 9 and 10° drivers and are going out and buying the likes of the TM R1 and Nike Covert and finding they get far better results when the loft is set to 11 or 12°.

Honestly there is no easy answer to this question. If you want to get an answer the only way to do this is to go to a golf store and hit a selection of drivers on a monitor and ask for some assistance in making a choice. Trust me it's well worth doing because once you get the right driver and you know it works for you your confidence will grow 10 fold on the tee.

I would say go get a club fitting and let them help you chose your loft. I played a 9.5* for years because I play the ball high and I felt that using more loft would reduce the length of my drives. But recently when I bought a new driver they actually recommended getting a driver with more loft to 10.5* and I couldnt be happier. So I would say that if you are shopping for a new driver go into with an open mind and use what is going to work best for you.

I would say go get a club fitting and let them help you chose your loft. I played a 9.5* for years because I play the ball high and I felt that using more loft would reduce the length of my drives. But recently when I bought a new driver they actually recommended getting a driver with more loft to 10.5* and I couldnt be happier. So I would say that if you are shopping for a new driver go into with an open mind and use what is going to work best for you.

Yeah, $$$ spent is better than regrets.

Back