Club head weight and spin

deleebar

blargh
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a razr fit and was looking at the weight kit. I just had a general question as to how weight (heavier or lighter) affects spin? I see pros with tungsten tape, even on their irons, so just wondering what the logic behind that is. Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I should add by saying the reason why this piqued my interest is that i was just messing around at a big box retailer (not really looking to buy, but just looking around), and he said something like the i20 driver would produce less spin than something like the g20 due to the weighting of the club. true? i mean the numbers showed it was true.

I have a razr fit and was looking at the weight kit. I just had a general question as to how weight (heavier or lighter) affects spin? I see pros with tungsten tape, even on their irons, so just wondering what the logic behind that is. Thanks in advance for any help.

EDIT: I should add by saying the reason why this piqued my interest is that i was just messing around at a big box retailer (not really looking to buy, but just looking around), and he said something like the i20 driver would produce less spin than something like the g20 due to the weighting of the club. true? i mean the numbers showed it was true.

It's more the position of the weighting than the physical amount. A lot of guys use tape to offset a particular flight. For instance, if you tend to draw the ball (right to left shot) then some weight near the toe would offset the club's tendency to close during impact. Vice-versa for a fade. Weight near the face would produce a higher trajectory and spin rate, while weight toward the rear of the club would produce a lower trajectory and spin rate.

The i20 has rear weighting system with both heel and toe. That is why the head is very low spin.

You would need a lot more weight then just tape on a clubhead to change anything discernable about the original club design. This will not move the CG.

Typically from what I've seen, pro's just generally use heavier clubs across the board. Adding tape to a club IMO shouldn't change anything drastic on the club other than swing weight which is personal preference based on feel and your tendency to miss.

IMO a heavier clubhead and heavier by more than just a little could cause less spin in two possible ways. 1) Heavier head=slower swing speed which equals less spin but less carry distance also 2) heavier club will help you keep the angle of the club thus increasing lag and that should help you realease later which should decrease spin. Just my thoughts on heavier clubheads. Remember a much heavier clubhead could weaken the shaft flex and lower the balance point of the shaft. I'm not sure you could get enough weight with a weight kit to make as much difference as I am talking about.

Back