Question about club length

chirpy

Reaction score
Handicap
I've fallen in love with the new Callaway X Hot Pros and am going to buy a set. I had a fitting yesterday, and given my height (6'2") and arm length, the club builder at Golfsmith was recommending the +1/2" shaft and +2deg upright. However, when I hit the 6 iron that was +1/2" in length, my shots weren't any better (in fact, the dispersion and consistency was slightly better with the standard length shafts).

He said regardless, due to my height, I should get +1/2". But now I'm torn, because not only did I like the standard shaft length, but my current clubs are +1/2" and I'm not sold that it's helping. I feel that the standard length shaft gives me a little better control - but maybe it's a mental thing?

Anyways -- does anyone have any advice on whether I should go with my gut, or go with what the expert says?

Folks at Golfsmith aren't experts. If you see my post on Henry Griffits clubs, I was put in a long set and didn't do well. What you will spend for an off the rack set of name brand irons you can get a custom set from a good club fitter for the same cost and they will serve you better.

I started playing golf 6 years ago as a middle aged guy - I went through the club buying frenzy and I've come to understand that off the rack clubs are not worth it and retail 'club fitters' aren't.

I've fallen in love with the new Callaway X Hot Pros and am going to buy a set. I had a fitting yesterday, and given my height (6'2") and arm length, the club builder at Golfsmith was recommending the +1/2" shaft and +2deg upright. However, when I hit the 6 iron that was +1/2" in length, my shots weren't any better (in fact, the dispersion and consistency was slightly better with the standard length shafts).

He said regardless, due to my height, I should get +1/2". But now I'm torn, because not only did I like the standard shaft length, but my current clubs are +1/2" and I'm not sold that it's helping. I feel that the standard length shaft gives me a little better control - but maybe it's a mental thing?

Anyways -- does anyone have any advice on whether I should go with my gut, or go with what the expert says?

It's hit or miss with the information you get at B&M's for sure. I would recommend you visiting a few different locations and see if there is a common response. It took me a long time to dial in the lie for my clubs with the changes I was/am making with my swing. Don't let them fit you off of a spreadsheet, take the time (and possibly multiple stops) and get that second, third opinion.

So many factors go into this, not just how tall you are. I'm 6'3" and use a standard shaft but 3* up. Was this Golftec in Golfsmith or just Golfsmith. Normal golfsmith fittings are garbage imo. If it was Golftec in Golfsmith I go with what they say.

how did they fit you?

did you hit off a lie board?

did they have you hit demos that were your specs?

if not then i would find someplace else to get fitted

Back