boneheaded/freak accidents that sidelined you

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
fresh off my recent "you did what?!" injury, i figured it'd be funny to hear stories from some other thp'ers. basically, what random, off-the-wall, or "hold my beer" type injury sidelined you from golf?

two come to mind for me:
- i had finished grilling, and i was cleaning my grill spatula. it has a serrated edge for God knows what, my hand slipped and it gashed the side of my finger. so i injured myself cleaning the dishes!

- just last night, the dishes got me again! we have an antique jenn-air downdraft oven, and the steel grate for the downdraft vent is removable. i took it off to clean it last night and it was disgusting. i grabbed a scouring sponge and went to town. in one particularly aggressive downstroke, my hand slipped and some of the metal coating on the grate flaked off and jammed into the top of my fingernail. it bled a little, but it didn't actually pierce much of the nail bed. any pressure on it is uncomfortable though, so i'll just need to wait until my nails grow out or my body pushes the metal out.

so thp: what have you done?!

I was playing beach volleyball, went to pick a beer, and then tripped on the ropes that make the lines, and broke a toe!

Softball game earlier this year. Rounding the bases, took a header...bruised ribs. No swings for a month.
I had an incident while cleaning the dishes too once, damn steak knife. Happened 2 days before my Myrtle Beach trip. Awesome.

Decided at 10:30 pm December 29th, 2012 after a few beers that it would be a good time to move a 300 lb piece of furniture with help only from my skinny 15 year old son and nephew. We lost control of it on the stairs and when it landed on my arm it snapped it like a chicken bone. Had to have surgery with a 6" steel/titanium plate to put it back together. We were leaving for our annual New Years ski trip the next day so I had to sit around while my family and friends enjoyed their ski days.

Decided at 10:30 pm December 29th, 2012 after a few beers that it would be a good time to move a 300 lb piece of furniture with help only from my skinny 15 year old son and nephew. We lost control of it on the stairs and when it landed on my arm it snapped it like a chicken bone. Had to have surgery with a 6" steel/titanium plate to put it back together. We were leaving for our annual New Years ski trip the next day so I had to sit around while my family and friends enjoyed their ski days.

that's a rough one! i have a buddy who had never skied before, took a tumble on his first run down and tore his acl on day 1 of a week long trip. same guy decided to start working out about a year ago, after a few weeks he overestimated his strength and did some major damage to his back. had surgery and still hasn't fully recovered. he's a helluva golfer too.

Being tossed off a jetski and pulling my groin 3 days before The Gauntlet.

That sucked.

Oh jeez I have a few that come to mind. Others I surely don't remember.

-One time I jumped from a recliner towards a doorway with the idea that I would grab said doorway, swing like Tarzan, and then jump off. Instead I came in too high and bashed my forehead on the trim and basically knocked myself out. Cause:Drunk

-Picked up another person in a drunken lusty moment and tossed said person on a pillowy soft surface, crippling myself with sciatic pain for 10 days. Cause:Drunk/Lusty

-Opened a car door before getting out of the way and the top corner left a gash in my chest. Cause:Stupid

-Years later did the same with an SUV, but the gash was on my face. Cause:Stupid

I hurdled a tennis net once between games, which is completely unnecessary, and proceeded to land awkwardly and roll my ankle pretty bad. That sidelined me for about two weeks. :banghead:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I'm currently sidelined after running myself over with my own car. Got out to close the garage and I put the car in drive instead of park. Luckily it isn't too serious, as it is just a deep contusion on my lower leg.

I got a good Polish joke out of it though.

I hurdled a tennis net once between games, which is completely unnecessary, and proceeded to land awkwardly and roll my ankle pretty bad. That sidelined me for about two weeks. :banghead:

One of my proudest moments was actually landing a hurdle attempt over a parking lot mechanical arm in front of 4 women. None of whom were attractive. Not sure where the pride comes from, but I'm not letting it go.

Age of 13, I was taking batting practice with a group of friends. Decided to take a turn at hitting right handed and then with an even better decision - decided to try to hit a ball to the opposite field. I fouled the pitch straight back and hit myself square in my right eye. 5 seconds later everything was black in my right eye and everyone was rushing me to the doctor, hospital.

Ended up causing blood vessels inside the pupil to burst. I ended up spending close to 3 weeks in the hospital, the rest of the summer in bed and almost lost the vision in my right eye.

Hitting right handed is dangerous.

One of my proudest moments was actually landing a hurdle attempt over a parking lot mechanical arm in front of 4 women. None of whom were attractive. Not sure where the pride comes from, but I'm not letting it go.

The glory is eternal!

(petey)

Too painful for me to comment in these threads. My accident was more freak than bonehead anyway.

Too painful for me to comment in these threads. My accident was more freak than bonehead anyway.

Things worked out well for you though friend. Rough climb, but a great view at the top.

Fortunately my only "freak" accident didn't affect my ability to play/practice as it happened during the coldest part of winter last year. Went a little to hard in some workouts and ended up with a slight muscle strain. No golf for 6 weeks but it happened in mid december and was always cold so i missed nothing.

I broke the navicular (scaphoid) bone in my right wrist playing basketball in February. I spent 12 weeks in a spica cast (thumb immobilized along with wrist) to try to get it to heal without surgery.

Come to find out, the navicular bone is one of the hardest bones in the body to heal, and surgery meant a bone graph from my hip and a rod and pin device that ran outside of my arm from below the elbow to the wrist.

I missed an entire golf season, and the next year, hitting out of deep rough, would cause my wrist to hurt.

I guess it has healed by now cause it doesn't cause me pain, but it really sucked trying to do everything left handed for 3 months.

I broke the navicular (scaphoid) bone in my right wrist playing basketball in February. I spent 12 weeks in a spica cast (thumb immobilized along with wrist) to try to get it to heal without surgery.

Come to find out, the navicular bone is one of the hardest bones in the body to heal, and surgery meant a bone graph from my hip and a rod and pin device that ran outside of my arm from below the elbow to the wrist.

I missed an entire golf season, and the next year, hitting out of deep rough, would cause my wrist to hurt.

I guess it has healed by now cause it doesn't cause me pain, but it really sucked trying to do everything left handed for 3 months.

I should have added the doc said 99% of people's ulna and radius (arm bones) break before the wrist when falling backwards. Thanks doc, I appreciate that.

6 years ago. Bicycle crash ended with fractured elbow and no golf for 12 weeks. That sucked. So did having to do everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, left handed when I'm a righty.

I was playing beach volleyball, went to pick a beer, and then tripped on the ropes that make the lines, and broke a toe!

Sorry Martin, but this kind of gave me a chuckle.

Eight weeks ago today I was walking my dog and another Lady was walking hers approaching us. Well the ladies dog was a miniature Doberman Pincher and the little fellow thought he was gonna come over and whup our arse. My large dog was having none of this shat so she bulked up like a bull in mating season and jumped around me snatching my butt to the payment which broke my hip. I had my two month post op today and my doc said I was wayyyyyyyy ahead of schedule on my healing. He said my xrays were excellent and he gave me the green light to play golf as or right now. I just have to listen to my body and take it easy. If I get sore after nine or anytime I have to pack it up. The good thing is I'm FREE!!!!! :bomb::blob::clapp::bananadance::banana::drinks::golf::guitar::golf2::thumb:

Last year a spider crawled across my hand while reading in bed, I jumped up and tore something in my shoulder.

I hate spiders.

fresh off my recent "you did what?!" injury, i figured it'd be funny to hear stories from some other thp'ers. basically, what random, off-the-wall, or "hold my beer" type injury sidelined you from golf?

two come to mind for me:
- i had finished grilling, and i was cleaning my grill spatula. it has a serrated edge for God knows what, my hand slipped and it gashed the side of my finger. so i injured myself cleaning the dishes!

- just last night, the dishes got me again! we have an antique jenn-air downdraft oven, and the steel grate for the downdraft vent is removable. i took it off to clean it last night and it was disgusting. i grabbed a scouring sponge and went to town. in one particularly aggressive downstroke, my hand slipped and some of the metal coating on the grate flaked off and jammed into the top of my fingernail. it bled a little, but it didn't actually pierce much of the nail bed. any pressure on it is uncomfortable though, so i'll just need to wait until my nails grow out or my body pushes the metal out.

so thp: what have you done?!
Nearly cut the tip of my glove hand index finger. Had to wait a while because every time I tried to swing it would open back up and bleed

Where do I even start?

· My ex moved our bed to the other side of our bedroom. I came home at night, and left the lights off not to wake her. Walked right in to the corner (which was sharp and pointy) with my knee. Tore the meniscus in my left knee, which required surgery to fix. Left me sidelined for 4 months, and I still have pain on a regular basis.

· Winter ’98. Thought it was a good idea to ride a friends snowboard down a flight of stairs to impress a girl. Please note I had never even touched a snowboard in my life. Wasn’t such a good idea; board got trapped, and I fell forward face first. Luckily I did put on a helmet, or things could have been a lot worse. Ended up with a pretty bad concussion which left me in bed for a couple of weeks. The girl did give me a kiss on the check so it was totally worth it.

· Was playing football/soccer, when a friend kicked the ball on to the roof. Unfortunatly, not only the ball came back down, a couple of roof tiles came with it, and one of them hit me in the head. Concussion, stitches to the head, and didn’t have to go to school for a week. Still have a dent at the top of my skull.

· Was playing football next to an industrial complex when I kicked the ball over the fence. Decided to climb the fence, which had 3” long steel spikes. Getting on to the complex was easy, but when I climbed back I tripped and got one of the spikes stuck in my thigh. Had to be freed by the Fire Department, which was pretty cool. Luckily the spike missed all blood vessels, only damaged my muscle. Left me out for about 6-8 weeks.

· Was doing my hockey warm up and was on the floor stretching. Heard a loud “PING” from the goalpost and saw something flying towards me from the corner of my eye. Before I knew it, it hit me above the eye. Started bleeding pretty bad. Left me with 16 stitches on my forehead and a concussion, think I was out for about 3 weeks.

· Was playing hockey and a guy tripped in front of me. His skate caught my leg just between my shinguards and my breezers, slashing my thigh. Started bleeding like an idiot. Left my with stitches and a nice scar, unable to play for 3 weeks.

· Was trying to save a shot while playing soccer, came in contact with the goalpost quite violently. Tore my shoulder muscle, wasn’t able to lift my arm for about 6 weeks.

Pretty sure I'm forgetting a couple.

Back