Something my pro said to me.

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Wednesday night my Father in law was having his lesson with the pro we use. I'm in the bay next to them I was going for the 75yard marker which normally is a full *60 wedge for me with the range balls, but I was coming up really really short. Simon (the pro) says that its not unusual for the ball to hold up in such cold temps and to just drop, now I know you lose distance in the cold but hold up and drop?? anyone else heard this before?

Wednesday night my Father in law was having his lesson with the pro we use. I'm in the bay next to them I was going for the 75yard marker which normally is a full *60 wedge for me with the range balls, but I was coming up really really short. Simon (the pro) says that its not unusual for the ball to hold up in such cold temps and to just drop, now I know you lose distance in the cold but hold up and drop?? anyone else heard this before?

I'm not sure I'm buying any of what he is saying. Maybe if it were like 50 degrees below zero........

I'm not sure I'm buying any of what he is saying. Maybe if it were like 50 degrees below zero........

Yeah I don't buy that either. Just normal distance loss in the cold.

He may be referencing the air being heavier and more dense when it's colder. Therefore the ball will not carry as far.
Coupled with the ball being colder and not compressing as much and the golfer being a little colder and bundled up against the cold, the ball just doesn't travel like a 70 degree day.

Never heard of it...but not smart enough to know if there is any science in it.:clown:

Since I have been hitting it better and putting more backspin on the ball I seem to lose more distance in the cold, I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it, i'll ask him when I see him next.

I would never underestimate the weather Britain.

never heard it put exactly that way.

Yep the colder and denser the air is, the less the ball will travel in the air. Really does make a difference here in the UK during the winter, temps drop to 1 o r 2* c and the range balls literally just fall out of the air like they have run out of fuel.

Some ranges use limited flight/spin balls that will actually knuckle-ball once the initial velocity and spin drops below a certain point. We have a driving range here that uses limited distance balls that are about 10 yards less off of the irons and with a driver they fly out about 210-220 yds and then just kind of knuckle ball out of the sky (There are houses at the end of the range at about 270). Not sure if that's the deal with your range but these balls do exist.

I played in 30* today with like a 19* windchill and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in terms of distance loss!

Maybe he just worded it wrong, but there will be distance loss in the cold. How far were you coming up short? 5-10 yards is probably normal distance loss from a normal 70* day.

Something I never worry about at the range is distance.... Unless I'm entered in a PGA tourny. Ball flight and fundamentals are what I'm looking at.

I've always felt that I loose distance when playing in the cold. I wish I would have gotten a more accurate reading with my yardage when it was really cold out.

Old timer i play with often says ball doesnt travel as far in cold, i personally thought it was BS:bulgy-eyes:

I think he just worded it wrong, trying to explain to your
Father in law.
Next time you see the pro, just ask him to explain.

Old timer i play with often says ball doesnt travel as far in cold, i personally thought it was BS:bulgy-eyes:

Well, I have heard this from a scientist as well as a couple instructors, and they say on average you will lose about 1 yard for every 2 degrees under 70. I think that is probably pretty accurate, although humidity, etc is a factor as well. The worse weather as far as distance is cold and humid I have been told.

Playing in the cold I definitely hit the ball shorter with my irons. I notice especially on par 3's where I have had to club up 3 times just to reach the green and also on approach shots. Driver is shorter to but nowhere near as much on irons.

I think that he is just saying the ball does not fly as far when it is cold do to a combination of factors. It is just the terminology he used that is confusing. You should go in and ask him how much distance he loses per 10 degrees of difference and see if he has any thoughts, also if range balls versus regular play balls makes a difference. I think that you will get better clarity and piece of mind.

Back