Filling R11S with Cotton

CharlieMoy

Reaction score
Handicap
Dice
I have read online and throughout the net that filling drivers with foam(and cotton balls) is an easy way to completely deaden the sound of a driver. Everyone here knows or should know that the sound is one of the largest factors in determining feel, so seeing as the R11S doesnt feel awesome and sounds terrible, I will be filling it with cotton balls. I will update this thread accordingly.

[video=youtube;fKhpBH-2DdI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKhpBH-2DdI&feature=plcp[/video]
[video=youtube;8-YbO4Dl_Sc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-YbO4Dl_Sc&feature=plcp[/video]

[video=youtube;nMyh356-1nI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMyh356-1nI[/video]

Has anyone else done this with any other drivers?

Last edited:
interesting notion...

Interesting concept.

Question though; Do you like the performance you get from the R11s, but hate the feel and sound?

Couldnt stand the feel and sound long enough to determine it to be honest, so this is what I am going to do. I cant see anything terrible going wrong and I can always pull it out with a little hook.

EDIT: No chance of the cotton ever coming out with a little hook, its in there for good.
Interesting concept.

Question though; Do you like the performance you get from the R11s, but hate the feel and sound?

Last edited:
If you get a chance can you make a little before and after video or sound clip?

Thainer, how are you doing the fill exactly?

I will be pulling out the weight ports, unravelling the cotton to the best of my ability, and going one by one, rotating through each hole to ensure the cotton fills the clubhead evenly.
Thainer, how are you doing the fill exactly?

The pre is done.
If you get a chance can you make a little before and after video or sound clip?

I will be pulling out the weight ports, unravelling the cotton to the best of my ability, and going one by one, rotating through each hole to ensure the cotton fills the clubhead evenly.

Props on the patience...that's gotta be painstaking, can't wait to hear it though!

I think Hotmelting produces similar results. I am interested in how this works for you.

Have you considered that if this worsens the problem removing the cotton will be near Impossible?

regardless, that cotton will not be coming out of that driver ever, does this effect performance of the driver at all?
It wont worsen the problem, I can guarantee you that.

FIRST POST UPDATED with 2 videos.

No, its not coming out ever. And no, it shouldnt effect the performance of the driver.
regardless, that cotton will not be coming out of that driver ever, does this effect performance of the driver at all?

I too hate the sound and feel of this driver, but the results are good.

Keep us posted on how things work out.

I have also read that people do this to their iron shafts, to get away from having to pay for sensicore inserts. If I like the way this goes, I could be into a new project.

I heard you talking about doing this before when you were playing the supertri or the superdeep. Looking forward to hearing about how much it changes the sound.

Interesting, I guess it is possible to add quite a bit of weight with the cotton but with the wide array of weights available I imagine you would be able to go with a lower weight and keep the same ratio you had before provided you knew the weight of the head before you added the cotton.

How bored are you btw? lol

Interesting, I guess it is possible to add quite a bit of weight with the cotton but with the wide array of weights available I imagine you would be able to go with a lower weight and keep the same ratio you had before provided you knew the weight of the head before you added the cotton.

But, in a swinging motion wouldnt the cotton move around or get "packed" to one side causing the weight to be off? I know we are talking about cotton here, and the weight isnt significant, but still has me wondering.

Im pretty bored. I have 5 balls in the toe and its full. 5 balls in the heel and it appears I can still fit a little more in there, so I will put another half ball in there and see how it works. I must admit though, just manoeuvring the clubhead with my fingers and the pin, the sound change is really drastic. Im excited.

Before you do this to iron shafts ask. There are easier and almost as cheap ways to do it.

hackin

But, in a swinging motion wouldnt the cotton move around or get "packed" to one side causing the weight to be off? I know we are talking about cotton here, and the weight isnt significant, but still has me wondering.

Im packing it full, I dont expect it to move around, ever.

Kind of interesting: About 20 years ago, my law firm represented Taylormade and I worked on some of their patents. Back then, they were experimenting with various foams to pack inside the driver heads. Metal drivers were still kind of new, and people didn't like them sounding like aluminum baseball bats, so Taylormade was trying to find a fill that would best replicate the sound of a persimmon driver.

The Ping ISI driver was the first one I recall where the manufacturer just decided to let the driver have whatever sound it was going to have.

I would have tried filling it with Coke

the carbonation would create pressure inside the head which could increase COR and distance!

plus, if it didn't work you could just pour it out

and slowly but surely the coke would eat away the head. lol

Back