Wilson D200 Irons Review Thread

Looking forward to how you get on with these as the season goes on. I'm on a bit of a forgiveness kick myself. The D200s were some of the most fun clubs I tested at a recent demo day. As you said, they go high, but as far as anything I hit.

I know the SGI, GI and Blade labels are going away. But they are truly packed with forgiveness and they look great at address. Perfect combo IMO.

I had the Di11s and am now on the D100s. To me, there was definitely a move up in forgiveness, especially on fat shots which is my big miss. I can only imagine the increase in playability from the Di11s to the D200s.
I'm still looking to try these, but there is nearly zero Wilson staff presence in NE Wisconsin.

I'm still looking to try these, but there is nearly zero Wilson staff presence in NE Wisconsin.

Too bad you can't make it to MSP. Have a set you could have tried.

I hear that. I bought the D100s sight unseen but I don't regret that one bit. Very tough to find W/S gear here in MA as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another round with the d200's

Another round with the d200's

I was able to get my first round of the year in yesterday with my D-200s. I have a completely stock setup, with the steel shaft pairing in stiff. I will probably eventually be switching out the grips, but I am giving everything a fair shake to start the year.

First thoughts from the look department is they are not bulky or "Altitude/Bertha-like." To be honest, they aren't much bigger, from a top line perspective, than the XR irons or the Speedbladez. You do notice the cavity from address on the longer irons, specifically the 4-5, but it's in no way distracting.

I didn't really get a chance to see exactly how far I was hitting every club, but I estimated, from where I was with the Apex irons, that I was hitting the Wilsons at least 5 yards longer, and sometimes close to 10. But I would say, right now, that I am for sure 5-6 yards longer with each iron. That threw a wrench into a few holes yesterday as I flew the green a couple approaches and on one pr 3 where flying the green is bad news.

Launch is high, as it has been stated in this thread, and I'll reiterate that it comes at no expense to distance. Very soft landing approaches, even with the the 5-6 iron.

Forgiveness is out of this world TBH. I kind of made it a goal this year to take the ego out of my bag and play the most forgiving equipment that also was comfortable to stand over. I've never been a huge fan of an Altitude or Bertha-Like shape. Hybrid-irons have always played tricks with my mind and swing, and it would turn into thin and blade city. The D-200's pack the forgiveness of those type of clubs, along with the shape of a more "traditional" iron. It's the perfect combination for me TBH and it exudes a ton of confidence when standing over the ball.

My miss is a out on the toe, in fact, probably 80% of full iron swings favor the toe side of center or are completely out there on it. There were a few shots today that flew very nicely and with expected distance, while the ball mark was half grooves-half toe. It was very impressive.

It was only one round, but I am excited about the results in this small sample size. I will keep this thread updated as the season goes on. I'll try to post some pictures of wear as well as we get later into the season.

Great review DC. I just had my 2nd round with the D200's today and I am in love with them. These D200's have made me a believer in WS technology. On at least two occasions I over shot the pin by at least 10 yards on a course that I am very familiar with and also familiar with my pervious distances with the D100. Like JB said earlier, the D200 is a completely different iron. I ordered my D200's with the stock UST EC graphite shafts and although they feel a bit light, they are incredibly forgiving. I'm glad to read that you really like the stock SL85 steel shafts. It seems that it's the head that really performs for everyone here.

Great review DC. I just had my 2nd round with the D200's today and I am in love with them. These D200's have made me a believer in WS technology. On at least two occasions I over shot the pin by at least 10 yards on a course that I am very familiar with and also familiar with my pervious distances with the D100. Like JB said earlier, the D200 is a completely different iron. I ordered my D200's with the stock UST EC graphite shafts and although they feel a bit light, they are incredibly forgiving. I'm glad to read that you really like the stock SL85 steel shafts. It seems that it's the head that really performs for everyone here.

Glad another "D200er" is along for the ride. Will be getting back out Monday night for another round. Mother's Day weekend this weekend, so golf gets put on the back burner!

4 rounds of golf planned between tomorrow and Monday, so I'll have quite a bit to digest by the beginning of next week. Weather is going to be touch and go so we may see how the stock grips perform in wet conditions.

I finally got to hit these inside on a flightscope today at a W/S demo day. I didn't have my clubs with me (D100) as a comparison, but they were easily 15 yards longer and straighter than the C100s I was hitting alongside of them.

I don't need new clubs right now, but holy cow were those things easy to hit.

D200 Reviews

D200 Reviews

4 rounds of golf planned between tomorrow and Monday, so I'll have quite a bit to digest by the beginning of next week. Weather is going to be touch and go so we may see how the stock grips perform in wet conditions.

Wow...4 rounds planned...great....keep us posted.

I played another round with the D200's today. Didn't have a good swing today and struggled a bit. But my iron play with these babies was the strength of what was otherwise a bad round. I bag the D200's with the stock Elements Chromes and I'm starting to reconsider my choice with the EC's. They do indeed launch REALLY high and as much as I like to hit high iron shots, I'm beginning to think that they are a bit too high. I'm going to purchase just one 4 or 5 iron in the stock steel shaft and see how it compares to the graphite. I'm curious to see if the stock SL85 steel feel as soft as the EC's. I have to say that the D200's feel SO good when you hit it anywhere close to flush. They feel so soft and the are LONG. Again today, I overcooked a couple shots to the green that had me looking at the number on the sole to see if I had mistakenly picked up the wrong club. But nope.....these babies fly!

Finally got the chance to try these today and boy are they fun to hit! Truly a worthy successor to the mighty DI-11's! I tried the regular flex EC shafts and the stock stiff steel. Ball go high, ball go far! I hit a lot of straight shots, but also a lot of hooks. The hooks are all me though as that's my current bugaboo with any irons. I think that I may have hit the XR's a little better, but that could be down to the shaft.
At any rate these are going to get some serious consideration by me this year. Almost nothing would make me happier than having Wilson Staff irons in the bag again!

Had a such a good round with my D200s today that I've decided to commit to them for the Legacy.

The forgiveness & distance are no joke, but today I was more impressed by the accuracy on well struck shots. I think the main contributor to this was that I made wiser club selections.

The distance these irons generate can be intoxicating and makes me want to test the limits with each swing. Today was the first time I played with them that I was able to resist the temptation to smash every shot & just swing smoothly. The result netted me 10/16 possible GIR. 2 holes I had no shot at a GIR due to dunking my ball in the water hazard of the tee box. The 6 I missed were all right around the green where I at least had a good chance of getting up & down.

Had a such a good round with my D200s today that I've decided to commit to them for the Legacy.

The forgiveness & distance are no joke, but today I was more impressed by the accuracy on well struck shots. I think the main contributor to this was that I made wiser club selections.

The distance these irons generate can be intoxicating and makes me want to test the limits with each swing. Today was the first time I played with them that I was able to resist the temptation to smash every shot & just swing smoothly. The result netted me 10/16 possible GIR. 2 holes I had no shot at a GIR due to dunking my ball in the water hazard of the tee box. The 6 I missed were all right around the green where I at least had a good chance of getting up & down.
I like it dude. Go with what you know and comfortable with.

I'm going to try and get to a fitter this week and try these. They'll be gauged against the G30 I demoed yesterday.

I expect them to be very close in performance. I hit these once in a net with no LM so I only had the feel and sound to go by. But I liked what I was seeing.

Which shaft?

Which shaft?

Shakey,
Which shaft are you playing, steel or the EC's? I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to compare each one and which they prefer.

Finally got the chance to try these today and boy are they fun to hit! Truly a worthy successor to the mighty DI-11's! I tried the regular flex EC shafts and the stock stiff steel. Ball go high, ball go far! I hit a lot of straight shots, but also a lot of hooks. The hooks are all me though as that's my current bugaboo with any irons. I think that I may have hit the XR's a little better, but that could be down to the shaft.
At any rate these are going to get some serious consideration by me this year. Almost nothing would make me happier than having Wilson Staff irons in the bag again!

Which shaft are you playing, steel or the EC's? I'm curious if anyone has had a chance to compare each one and which they prefer.

I'm not the right person to ask really since I only hit a small bucket with them yesterday for the first time. I liked the feel of the EC's, but found the steel to be more stable directionally. I would have to spend more time with them to give you a clear answer. I would also like to try them with a different shaft, but is not going to happen here, since no one has a W/S fitting cart in these parts that I know of. Makes me sad because I may be the biggest W/S homer ever, but that's the way it is.
Maybe some background on yourself and what you are looking for would help.

Shakey,
Stock steel in stiff.

I was in a smaller golf shop yesterday that sells some of these, and I have to say WS is making some pretty good looking irons. The owner of the shop said he thinks the WS irons are the best deal in golf right now. I never considered getting WS iron but I really enjoyed the look of them.

So this is relevant. I called the shop above to schedule a fitting for Wedmesday night. I told Bryan that I wamted to be fit for the G30's and D200. Now, he is one of the biggest PING advocates around. As soon as I said D200, he said, "Yep that's what I switched to"

Wow,really? That is saying something about them. I remind Bryan Im a friend of Steve H--a long time PING customer of his-- Bryan says, Steve just put these in play. (Now Steve is a solid 4 HC and one of the best iron players I know. He has been a long time I10 and I20 guy. He used to mock some of the GI irons I had.

I said to Bryan, I'm sorry I must have mumbled or something. I said Steve H. He laughed and said, he hit them and said, they go far, they go straight and they are cheap (cost wise). Put an order in. I was floored. This coming from a devout players iron guy who can handle just about any stick you give him.

I emailed Steve right after the phone call and he confirmed, it's the best and most fun iron he has hit in years.

So I honestly don't know which of the two irons, I'll order on Wednesdsy. But I know its going to be fun finding out

Last edited:
So this is relevant. I called the shop above to schedule a fitting for Wedmesday night. I told Bryan that I wamted to be fog for the G30's and D200. Now he is one of the biggest PING advocates around. As soon as I said D200, he said, "Yep that's what I switched to"

wow really, that is saying something about them. I remind Bryan Im a friend of Steve H--a long time PING customer of his-- Bryan says, Steve just put these in play. (Now Steve is a solid 4 HC and one of the best iron players I know. He has been a long time I10 and I20 guy. He used to mock some of the GI irons I had.

I said to Bryan, I'm sorry I must have mumbled or something. I said Steve H. He laughed and said, he hit them and saod they go far, they go straight and they are cheap (cost wise). Put an order in. I was floored. This coming from a devout players iron guy who handle just about any stick you give him.

I emailed Steve right after the phone call and he confirmed, it's the best and most fun iron he has hit in years.

So I honestly don't know which of the two irons, I'll order on Wednesdsy. But I know its going to be fun finding out

W/S has a big time performer in these irons, but they also have 2 huge stigmas to overcome... 1) They're SGI & 2) The general snobbery towards the W/S brand.

I struggled with #1, but got over it because of the performance. I have no idea what to do about #2.

I learned that my dad just switched to these irons. I'm pretty excited to see how he does with them. He's been looking at a new set of GI/SGI, and I think the D200s will fit the bill rather well.

I'm also looking forward to taking a few swings with them along the way...

W/S has a big time performer in these irons, but they also have 2 huge stigmas to overcome... 1) They're SGI & 2) The general snobbery towards the W/S brand.

I struggled with #1, but got over it because of the performance. I have no idea what to do about #2.
As for No.2? I get what you're saying. But back when I was in HS, girls in glasses were considered nerds and geeks. Now they are considered hot.

So just think of them as a todays high school girls..ok maybe not exactly ��. But you know what I mean.

So this is relevant. I called the shop above to schedule a fitting for Wedmesday night. I told Bryan that I wamted to be fog for the G30's and D200. Now he is one of the biggest PING advocates around. As soon as I said D200, he said, "Yep that's what I switched to"

wow really, that is saying something about them. I remind Bryan Im a friend of Steve H--a long time PING customer of his-- Bryan says, Steve just put these in play. (Now Steve is a solid 4 HC and one of the best iron players I know. He has been a long time I10 and I20 guy. He used to mock some of the GI irons I had.

I said to Bryan, I'm sorry I must have mumbled or something. I said Steve H. He laughed and said, he hit them and saod they go far, they go straight and they are cheap (cost wise). Put an order in. I was floored. This coming from a devout players iron guy who handle just about any stick you give him.

Thanks for all the input in this thread guys. CAA_beat, I think I needed to hear this last post. I've been all geeked up following the Srixon Z545 thread, and while those are beautiful irons, I think the D200's are a better fit for someone like me who currently struggles to make consistent contact. I think I'd be foolish not to give these a try before anything else. Keep up the good work everyone - this is a great thread!

Thanks for all the input in this thread guys. CAA_beat, I think I needed to hear this last post. I've been all geeked up following the Srixon Z545 thread, and while those are beautiful irons, I think the D200's are a better fit for someone like me who currently struggles to make consistent contact. I think I'd be foolish not to give these a try before anything else. Keep up the good work everyone - this is a great thread!

if you haven't hit the z545s or bought something by time Pitt comes around you can hit my 545s if u wish during the practice round.

if you haven't hit the z545s or bought something by time Pitt comes around you can hit my 545s if u wish during the practice round.

Aprreciate it bro! Ya, I'm not in the market for new irons - unless my boys suddenly want to start playing (then I could justify new clubs for me & they can use the Di11's lol!). still, I want to be prepared & hit different clubs to see what feels good & what works for me

Back