Unwarranted Arrogance or Valid Point?...I Say Arrogance

Beljan must have been getting hammered in order for him to result in deactivating his account. What did they expect by making such stupid comments against the most revered club and tournament in the U.S.?

I'd say so. Every apparently was getting hammered pretty hard after sending out his Tweets, because he later apologized, but sent out a few Tweets hinting that he was getting called out for it pretty hard. They didn't make many friends and help their chances much, that is for sure.

Good for the AMs to get a shot to play Augusta Nat'l. As the writer says, 'play better.' Every wouldn't get in even if the AMs weren't allowed. The story of Guan walking up to Tiger and ask to play with him yesterday was just awesome. Much rather seem them AMs get a shot instead of a professional ranked 137, who has only made 6 out of 12 cuts and Beljan, who will be remembered as the guy who had panic attacks on the course more than anything else.

That's pathetic. Their opinions don't matter when it comes to the Masters. They need to shut up.

They earned their shot, beljan and every didnt. They should've succeeded when they were AMs, they gave up those benefits by going pro

Oh and don't forget, Bettinardi Putters are amazing!

I hope someone wears this shirt and gets some TV time this weekend:

jr-sorry-charlie-tuna-shirt-t-shirt-80stees.gif

I love how Every and Beljan think they have a better chance then the ams to win. IMO, you have the same chances they do, which is none. Not against that elite field.

Good for the AMs to get a shot to play Augusta Nat'l. As the writer says, 'play better.' Every wouldn't get in even if the AMs weren't allowed. The story of Guan walking up to Tiger and ask to play with him yesterday was just awesome. Much rather seem them AMs get a shot instead of a professional ranked 137, who has only made 6 out of 12 cuts and Beljan, who will be remembered as the guy who had panic attacks on the course more than anything else.

Absolutely agree and the fact that Tiger invited him to go out right then was pretty impressive. That alone has probably made this the best month of this kid's life and will be something he'll never forget.

Beljan looks to be regretting his Tweets. He has since deactivated his Twitter account. Every apologized.
I wondered why I couldn't find it!

Shut it Charlie and Matt...

Moral of the story . . . play better.

One of the amateurs, Michael Weaver, is a local guy here in Northern California and was recently on the local news talking about how his father brought him to the Masters as a teenager and told him that one day he'd be on the other side of the ropes. He said he was more nervous about the semi-final match of the US Amateur because making the final was worth entry to Augusta.

I like that the masters has a number of amatuer spots, i'm sure other posters have gone to into why it's important in greater detail.

I do like that these pro's actually came out and gave their opinion and weren't afraid to make waves (although I expect they will be apologizing for this). I think there is some point there, Beljan won a pga tournament a few months ago, he has probably shown more of an ability to win the tournament than some of these ams.

However % chance of winning is not a requirement to be in the masters, that's not the intent of the event which is why you have former champions shooting 80's and 90's every year. The Masters is about honoring the history of the event, of the sport, and so on.

I like that the masters has a number of amatuer spots, i'm sure other posters have gone to into why it's important in greater detail.

I do like that these pro's actually came out and gave their opinion and weren't afraid to make waves (although I expect they will be apologizing for this). I think there is some point there, Beljan won a pga tournament a few months ago, he has probably shown more of an ability to win the tournament than some of these ams.

However % chance of winning is not a requirement to be in the masters, that's not the intent of the event which is why you have former champions shooting 80's and 90's every year. The Masters is about honoring the history of the event, of the sport, and so on.

He may have won a few months ago, but the tournament that he won didn't meet the criteria for warranting an invitation:
Winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters

So, whoopsie. Better luck next year Charlie.

I really respect people whom voice their opinion. But I think these comments are pretty stupid and childish. Maybe they should be out on the field "practising" rather then on twitter.

Punch line "Play Better"

I know who I'm rooting against whenever I see them in an event now.

It's not like Augusta just woke up one day and decided to take away a dozen tour pro slots and hand them out to their friends and family. Amateurs in the Masters field is a long standing tradition. Considering what amateurs have done for the game of pro golf, these guys obviously don't know and respect people who paved the way for them.

I bet someone will shout "Play better!" next time Every or Beljan is hitting from the first tee, instead of get in the hole!

Seriously...not so savvy from Every or Beljan.

There's nothing wrong with them having an opinion about it but to put it out there publicly about the biggest tournament in golf on the same week that it takes place?! Yeah - unwise. Talk about a Fuzzy moment.

It is Augusta National's tournament and they can run it how they see fit.
That has always been my opinion on The Masters. It's their show, they can do what they want. Heck, they could send me an invite if they wanted. It baffles me how fans and players alike haven't got that figured out by now.

It is Augusta National's tournament and they can run it how they see fit.

Not only that, I'm sure that if they wanted to, they could come out and say that their new list of requirements to play in The Masters is now amended so that anyone named Charlie Beljan and Matt Every are only allowed to watch on TV.

The other things is that the Masters says decently in advance what all the avenues of getting in are. There are 19 different ways to get in and periodically some change. Every player knows the avenues in which they can qualify.

Talk about stupid comments, just the fact that these two would make comments about amatuers in a tournament founded by the greatest amatuer of all time just shows their lack of respect and knowledge of the games history.

#playbetter

If I were in their shoes, I'd probably feel the same way as Beljan and Every, but it's the Masters. It's tradition and it's one of many, many awesome things about that championship.

The worst part of all is that amateurs being in has nothing to do with them being out. That was their biggest mistake.

As for Beljan, the guy could have pretty easily said, "I'm disappointed my win doesn't allow me entry to The Masters, but I'll be spending this weekend working on my game to make sure I qualify next year."

Nobody would have made a peep about it, and it would be a great attitude. It's not like winning a silly-season event is easy, and I don't blame him for being disappointed that ANGC has set the policy the way it has.

As for Every, WTF? Dude hasn't done anything to warrant the attitude.

Beljan needs to be kicked in the nuts anyway, so who cares what he has to say?

I have never in my life ever heard a tour pro complain about amateurs, in The Masters, until today.

Bobby Jones just rolled over in his grave.

Maybe Beljan and Every should gripe about past champions taking what is so rightfully theirs, apparently. You know, guys like Watson, Crenshaw, Jose Maria and others. Heck, maybe they can add Charlie to Jack, Arnie and Player in hitting the opening shots. These two are Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

The thing is the tournament is called "The Master", not "The up & comers". The inclusion of the some of these players seems a little ridiculous... & next year they're having a punt, pass & kick competition for the kids... awesome!

Back