Unwarranted Arrogance or Valid Point?...I Say Arrogance

The thing is the tournament is called "The Master", not "The up & comers". The inclusion of the some of these players seems a little ridiculous... & next year they're having a punt, pass & kick competition for the kids... awesome!

You should frame your comments with a sarcasm tag, people might think you're serious.

I did not read all of the posts but my thought is Bobby Jones was hands down the best amateur of all time and the Masters is his brain child. Amateurs should always be welcome IMO.

Bobby Jones was hands down the best amateur of all time and the Masters is his brain child. Amateurs should always be welcome IMO.

I completely agree with the above!

“Masters should have one amateur spot for the U.S. Am champ,” Every said. “Give the rest of am spots to more deserving players who actually have a chance.” --> Does he believe he is a "more deserving player" even though all he has is ZERO wins on tour and a drug related suspension?? I think there's simply some jealousy going on...

These two would be debiststef had they qualified for the Master's as amateurs and didn't get in. Like it was said, the event was founded by Bobby jones the greatest AM of his time and maybe ever.
I have no issue with them expressing their opinions but they are sealing their fate with Augusta national. Those guys hate being calked out

They both sound selfish, self centered and entitled

I don't agree with those guys on this and I think it's a little disrespectful to the amateurs. Who's to say the amateurs are taking "their spots?" The Masters can set whatever number of players it wants, and there are many ways to get in. If the amateurs weren't there they could just go with the same number of pros they have now.

I think it may be the mentality of journeyman pros in that they don't view The Masters in the same light that we do. To some, at least, it is an opportunity to make some money and they resent the spots reserved for amateurs. The answer is arrogance.

An amateur at our club Monday qualified for the Bell South a few years ago, this guy is good. Anyway, the pros he played with on Thursday and Friday made it very clear that he wasn't welcome as an amateur playing in a professional tournament. He actually beat both of these guys on Friday but didn't qualify for the weekend. He hasn't tried to play in any more PGA events.

It's just sour grapes.

Either of those guys would have been thrilled to play in this event as an amateur. And I'll bet if they start making regular appearances, their tune will change.

Probably 80% of the field won't have a chance to win. Does it really matter if the amateur is 25 shots back while the "deserving pro" is 15 shots back?

Idiots. What you put online is there forever and if either of them are ever lucky enough to qualify they are going to face questions about this.
I hope one of the AM's asks them to caddy for him...that's as close as those two whiners are gonna get to Augusta.

I have never in my life ever heard a tour pro complain about amateurs, in The Masters, until today.

Bobby Jones just rolled over in his grave.

This. Although, I'm not sure he rolled over. He'd channel some of that childhood rage and give them a big, fat middle finger.

I was just starting to like Beljan, and I'm all for expression of opinion, but this is stupid. And Every? Who is that guy, anyway? One of the most beautiful things about the Masters is the tournament's connection to the amateur game. Screw these two guys.

As was stated in one of the comments on the article page, The Masters is The Masters because one of the greatest amateur players of all time. These two should probably shut up in regards to blasting the amateurs.

Just what I was about to say. This is Bobby Jones's event and he was the worlds greatest amateur. If anything, there needs to be more of them in the field. Only 93 players this year, so there is plenty of room. Amateur golf is real golf.

Every needs to to stick to smoking weed instead of being bitter.

To add to JRod's comment: it's amazing that Beljan and Every can play golf so well when they always have a foot stuck in their mouths. These comments are not the first time that they have said amazingly stupid things.

To add to JRod's comment: it's amazing that Beljan and Every can play golf so well when they always have a foot stuck in their mouths. These comments are not the first time that they have said amazingly stupid things.

It makes the weight transfer easier

I think it may be the mentality of journeyman pros in that they don't view The Masters in the same light that we do. To some, at least, it is an opportunity to make some money and they resent the spots reserved for amateurs. The answer is arrogance.

An amateur at our club Monday qualified for the Bell South a few years ago, this guy is good. Anyway, the pros he played with on Thursday and Friday made it very clear that he wasn't welcome as an amateur playing in a professional tournament. He actually beat both of these guys on Friday but didn't qualify for the weekend. He hasn't tried to play in any more PGA events.

Normal PGA Tour events are different than The Masters. Augusta does not need sponsorship money. The proved that a few years ago when Martha Burke went on her rant. Regular tour events survive off sponsors and ticket sells. Local players that qualify will sell more tickets than people who buy tickets because the want to see Every or Beljan play. Every just seems to dig a deeper hole with every word he says. Beljan was a feel good story, until this comment. His PR folks better run spin control pretty fast. In the public eye, he was a good guy until yesterday.

There is always a delicate balance of qualifying spots, sponsors exemptions and those players that have their tour card. The PGA tour does a pretty good job of keeping everybody happy. But, there will always be the grumblers. Those types are never happy.

Every should be more concerned about retaining his tour card than voicing an opinion about a tourney he could never win.

Beljan just about dropped dead at Disney with the pressure at that fairly weak event. Imagine what would happen at Augusta.

This is also what is wrong with the new social media. A random thought is thrown out without much thinking or filtering and then it explodes in that persons face. I doubt either of these guys were thinking about getting on a soapbox and taking shots at the Masters. Its hard to tell what the whole conversation would have been from reading a "tweet".

I bet they have been "schooled" by their fellow pros already in the locker room.

I'm much more interested to watch Tianlang Guan play over Matt Every. But at least Every got his 15 minutes...now back to obscurity.

dumb comments, its not like either one of them were on the cusp of qualifying, I could see the 51st ranked player in the WGR being bothered(assuming he is not already qualified) but 2 guys who are not even close...:banghead:

I think reality would hit them pretty hard if officials told them "Since you don't like our rules, you have no business ever playing here".

I think reality would hit them pretty hard if officials told them "Since you don't like our rules, you have no business ever playing here".

That'd be epic. I'd love to see their reactions lol

Think both can kiss their invites goodbye as i doubt they will play their way into the Masters............:banghead:

I guess these clowns forgot where they came from first of all. Second where is the tour, the masters, the sport without the amateur presence? Not to mention all the great amateur players that have been successful on the big stage... Bobby Jones, Francis Ouimet to name just two. This really just irritates me to no end

Back