Question For Those That Attend THP Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's be honest here, judgement does get passed. We've all been guilty of it. Hell, there have been forum testings where I've thought 'man, this person just isn't contributing at all'. It's 2nd nature, especially when there are hundreds have others who would have given a lot to be in their place.

That is part of life. If you read the OP, its a PERSONAL question. Its asking YOU as an individual, what you think YOU should do. Not what you think others should do.

Let's be honest here, judgement does get passed. We've all been guilty of it. Hell, there have been forum testings where I've thought 'man, this person just isn't contributing at all'. It's 2nd nature, especially when there are hundreds have others who would have given a lot to be in their place.
The op is nothing about passing judgement though of course we do it is human nature to judge nothing will change that what we can do is provide as much insight to JB and the oems into the issue that they can gather facts and opinions and be able to address the issue without shooting from the hip so to speak.

Posted just for Dev using Tapatalk

If you attend an event that has equipment from a specific manufacturer then I personally would feel that you should play the equipment as that is a big part of the reason you are there. After the event I still feel that you should play the equipment and give feedback on how it works, for you. If the equipment doesn't give you the same or better performance from what you were already using, then maybe it should be passed on to see if someone else can benefit and provide their perspective on the club(s)

If you are fitted for the equipment then there is no reason why it shouldn't perform for you, but if the event involved a free club(s) that was, in effect, off the shelf then it is always possible it may not work as well as it should, eg lie angle for a wedge/iron but I would want to figure out why and see if it would be possible to get that resolved once I got back home so that I could continue to play the club(s) and give feedback

I do vaguely remember some talk previously about people selling on clubs that they got and I know everyones personal circumstances are different but I don't know if I could bring myself to do that, I would rather pass it on to someone that would benefit from it, but unless/until I end up in that situation I don't feel as if I can give a definitive answer about what I would do. Having a rough idea of how much must go on behind-the-scenes to provide these amazing events it would have to be an absolute last resort to sell something that I got for free and the memories it gave me

In a situation where someone already has what they are given I can understand passing on the equipment/selling it.

Assuming the equipment is an exact match in terms of specs, I would prefer to keep the new club(s) and pass on the older ones that I already had, but that is just me

I think you owe it to give a thorough and honest evaluation over a period of time. What that time is can be totally subjective and there is no right answer (unless somehow contractually obligated).

That said, if after a period of time the USER feels is fair the gear just does not work for them, then I have zero problem with the user moving on. Again as long as it is not somehow stipulated that a specific time period is agreed upon, whatever the user chooses should be fine.

To me, I think the expectation should be to use the club and provide feedback similar to a long term forum review. Obviously the hope is that the equipment will be superior to other options and will end up as a gamer, but that's not always the case. As someone who has gotten equipment from events, I feel it is my job to bring back as much information about the club(s) to the forum, good, bad, or otherwise, but if it's not a good fit for my game, I don't feel any obligation to play it long-term as my gamer.

There's no rules in place that if you get equipment you have to play it, so I don't know if I'd call it an obligation. I would call it kind of like an unwritten rule though to play it for at least a little bit. I would say until you've provided as much feedback as your capable. At some point you're just going to be repeating yourself. And I think the amount of time would vary person to person. If one person plays twice a week, and another plays twice a month, it's going to take the twice a month person a lot longer to provide feedback.

Now all that said, if you know going into it that you don't care for some equipment I believe you should not sign up for that event. I can personally use the Cure event as an example. I am not one that is normally prone to judgement by looks, but the Cure putters I saw at Old Silo were hideous to me. I tried rolling one there as well and hated the feel of it as well. I knew they were not for me. So even though the Cure event was 3 hours away from me, I purposely did not sign up for it because that equipment is not for me. To sign up for that would be denying a spot to someone that was interested. I instead went to Branson and don't regret the choice one bit. I am also happy for those that went to the Cure event and love their putters. It worked out best for everyone that weekend.

I am curious if the equipment is not as good for everyone's game as their normal gamers then what? Do you play something that doesn't fit you just because it was given?

I am really not a fan of selling but if something truly doesn't fit me I will try and pass it on to someone that it does and they can provide the feedback in it.

depending on the circumstances I guess dude. But let's take the Legacy or an event like that. Why would you select equipment that didn't fit your game? Certainly other events like Cure its a bit different. It wasn't a known thing that the entire group would walk away with a putter, but I still feel like each person needs to be comfortable enough with the product to speak someone intelligently and openly about it. Does that mean it needs to be in the bag week in and week out? Only if that's what it takes to get a firm baseline of information to provide feedback to the forum. Of course this is just how I feel about it anyway.

depending on the circumstances I guess dude. But let's take the Legacy or an event like that. Why would you select equipment that didn't fit your game? Certainly other events like Cure its a bit different. It wasn't a known thing that the entire group would walk away with a putter, but I still feel like each person needs to be comfortable enough with the product to speak someone intelligently and openly about it. Does that mean it needs to be in the bag week in and week out? Only if that's what it takes to get a firm baseline of information to provide feedback to the forum. Of course this is just how I feel about it anyway.
I agree which to me is why I would give something away if after a time it truly didn't fit me give another person the chance to review it properly. Although that said I think part of that you should at least provide reasoning to touch on why it did not fit you

Now all that said, if you know going into it that you don't care for some equipment I believe you should not sign up for that event. I can personally use the Cure event as an example. I am not one that is normally prone to judgement by looks, but the Cure putters I saw at Old Silo were hideous to me. I tried rolling one there as well and hated the feel of it as well. I knew they were not for me. So even though the Cure event was 3 hours away from me, I purposely did not sign up for it because that equipment is not for me. To sign up for that would be denying a spot to someone that was interested. I instead went to Branson and don't regret the choice one bit. I am also happy for those that went to the Cure event and love their putters. It worked out best for everyone that weekend.

An interesting take, especially considering the Cure Event didn't sell out.

We re of course all free to do what we want, but the way I saw it; THP + THPers + Longaberger + Interesting putter tech = worth my time.

depending on the circumstances I guess dude. But let's take the Legacy or an event like that. Why would you select equipment that didn't fit your game?.

This is my position as well. Why do through the hassle of signing up, travel and selecting gear to your specks & not game it long term.

Like I said I get we all like to tinker & like shiny and new, but dumping gear shortly after an event that provides this type equipment fitting baffles me.

We re of course all free to do what we want, but the way I saw it; THP + THPers + Longaberger + Interesting putter tech = worth my time.

This x 1000

Common sense.

Understand that your feedback is valuable not just to THP'ers but to companies also. Good, bad, indifferent, feedback matters and EVERY SINGLE OEM is on our forums reading and looking to see what members have to say about gear, particularly after events. Do you have to play it forever? Hell no. But even if it "isn't best" for you, you can still give continued thoughts and insight into the why's about that, with tact, rather than posting once or twice (or never as we have seen that happen recently) and then ditching it. IMO, when people do that (vanish, sell instantly, b*tch about it and give up on it) the odds are a company won't be as interested to be part of these amazing events and you are hosing someone else down the road from ever getting to experience the awesomeness that goes on in such events with companies, UST comes to my mind immediately and that one pisses me off to this day because that is a company that "gets it". Do you have to play it forever? No, but use your brain and realize the bigger picture of things.

Now, selling something on the forum from an event pisses me off personally, but that is a tact thing.

Additionally, I hold #TheGrandaddy in a TOTALLY different regard as no financial investment is being put in by the members insanely lucky enough to get into it. For that, you 1000% have a long term significant responsibility to you and everyone else on THP to provide not just info and insight but to realize how damn blessed you are and how many would give almost ANYTHING to be in your place. You bet your ass my gear from December will be around in my bag for a long ass time even with my review obligations throughout the year and I will keep it FOREVER.

This is my position as well. Why do through the hassle of signing up, travel and selecting gear to your specks & not game it long term.

Like I said I get we all like to tinker & like shiny and new, but dumping gear shortly after an event that provides this type equipment fitting baffles me.
It's the truth for events like the legacy but many others you may not know exactly what you are given or it may be pre release many variables go into it depending on the event.

I think people have a responsibility to play the equipment for a period of time that allows them to give an honest opinion of the product. I don't think that can be done in a weekend. For some people, it's a month vs. 3 months or 6 months for other people. After that period, if the equipment doesn't work well for that person, I don't think they're obligated to keep it in the bag.

For me personally, I feel like I need to play it and give feedback. I know others disagree, and have even seen others sell their gear immediately. I don't begrudge them, but I feel like I owe the sponsors a prolonged period of playing the gear they give me. The feedback is important to the community.

I guess I'm old school. If someone gives me something, I'm going to use it. These companies don't hand it out for sh!ts and giggles. There is an unspoken idea of an ROI. Even if it's not written in stone, it's something that does not require a big leap to figure out.

I know people sign up for free gear and that's fine. Don't review the gear, there is no binding obligation. It used to really bother me but not any longer. People will do what they want to do.

I think there is an unwritten obligation to play and review equipment that is given. You're given this oppertunity and should provide the forum with feedback good or bad. Im personally not a fan of selling equipment given to you but support giving it to another THP member if it might fit their game and they can add feedback. As far as how long you play it for depends on the individual and the circumstaces of how the equipment was given. I am getting a double of most of my bag for Legacy outside of shaft options. So i will review and compare the clubs with different shafts.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Common sense.

Understand that your feedback is valuable not just to THP'ers but to companies also. Good, bad, indifferent, feedback matters and EVERY SINGLE OEM is on our forums reading and looking to see what members have to say about gear, particularly after events. Do you have to play it forever? Hell no. But even if it "isn't best" for you, you can still give continued thoughts and insight into the why's about that, with tact, rather than posting once or twice (or never as we have seen that happen recently) and then ditching it. IMO, when people do that (vanish, sell instantly, b*tch about it and give up on it) the odds are a company won't be as interested to be part of these amazing events and you are hosing someone else down the road from ever getting to experience the awesomeness that goes on in such events with companies, UST comes to my mind immediately and that one pisses me off to this day because that is a company that "gets it". Do you have to play it forever? No, but use your brain and realize the bigger picture of things.

Now, selling something on the forum from an event pisses me off personally, but that is a tact thing.

Additionally, I hold #TheGrandaddy in a TOTALLY different regard as no financial investment is being put in by the members insanely lucky enough to get into it. For that, you 1000% have a long term significant responsibility to you and everyone else on THP to provide not just info and insight but to realize how damn blessed you are and how many would give almost ANYTHING to be in your place. You bet your ass my gear from December will be around in my bag for a long ass time even with my review obligations throughout the year and I will keep it FOREVER.

Exactly what I was trying to say, but you have put it much more eloquently James and I agree with your comment about the selling of event equipment on the forum

As to #TheGrandaddy, I said in that thread but I will say it again here - you will have to pry that equipment from my cold dead hands before I give that up, assuming I was lucky enough to be one of the priviledged few

I get the point for sure if it's a sold out event, but Dan makes a good point about there being spots available and the tech. You said you didn't like them, and that's understandable, but maybe hearing the specifics about the technology from the creators could have changed something. And then add in playing them for mini golf, a full round, and then getting one for yourself (admittedly no one knew about that), maybe something with it could have clicked.

So if Cure was sponsoring the granddaddy would you pass on that too?

I dont want to pile on Rbarthle, but its an interesting take. Cleveland Event, the Gauntlet and the Wilson event will have signups before the equipment is known. Rbarthle has expressed interest in the Gauntlet without knowing what equipment will be out at that event. So I say this not to pile on, but its an interesting equation into the discussion.

Especially since I have yet to attend an event that didn't cost more to attend then the equipment I received.

If I had tried it like Rob had and not liked it ? Also not liking the looks then nope wouldn't sign up for the granddaddy. Leave the spot open for someone that wants the cure. Now if they were a small piece then it is different but it is the persons choice if they like the look and feel of the equipment. Me personally all the tech talk in the world couldn't get me over the cure look and sound/feel so I didn't and won't look at any future events involving them. I am glad they are supporting THP and so many members get along with them however.

At the end of the day what I like and for what reasons will be different from you and everyone else we will be all different and we shouldn't have one way of thinking of force our own way of thinking on others.

I dont want to pile on Rbarthle, but its an interesting take. Cleveland Event, the Gauntlet and the Wilson event will have signups before the equipment is known. Rbarthle has expressed interest in the Gauntlet without knowing what equipment will be out at that event. So I say this not to pile on, but its an interesting equation into the discussion.

I don't mean to pile on him either. Because I'm willing to bet there are a number of others that have the same take. Just sort of interesting to me. I don't sign up for events for the gear. Honestly it would be cheaper to just buy the gear and not pay for travel. Events to be are about THP, THPers and amazing courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back