Just used it yesterday for the first time with a group of 30 in two flights. It is awesome and made me look like a genius with our group, none of whom had ever heard of it.

I looked at live scoring apps like Gamebook and Lynx, and Scrolf is incomparably easier for setting up tournaments. For example, the Gamebook app is slick and even easier to enter scores with, but the scorers have to all download the app, sign in, and every single player in the outing has to establish a Gamebook account ...you gotta be kidding. It can't even handle flights. Scrolf is totallly browser-based, no app required. You can set up your player list in a spreadsheet and import it as a CSV file. Easy, peasy. Then if you need to add or delete players, it's a breeze to do through any browser. It is also very flexible in what kind of live leaderboards it shows or not. Front nine, back nine, total, gross, net, stroke play, match play, flights, teams, best ball, closest to the pin, longest drive and on and on, all based on the options you select. When you enter your foursome's score the leaderboard updates immediately.

As part of the setup, you enter the par and handicap of each hole. Also each player's handicap. It's a simple calculation for Scrolf to figure out how many strokes each player gets on each hole. Yet it is amazingly cool to see that simple intelligence implemented on the course so you can see a live leaderboard based on hole by hole net score on your phone. Oh, and you can press any name on the leaderboard and that player's individual scorecard appears, hole by hole gross and net score, with scores highlighted in colors to show birdies, bogies, etc.

Yesterday was intended to be a test (this same group plays every week) but went way better than I expected. Still, one scorer's phone ran out of juice. This was not due to Scrolf since my Iphone5 still had 84% at the end of the round that I scored. But all phones should be fully charged and probably the scorers should turn off their phone's location services if practical.
You need to allow time to identify smartphone users willing to score each foursome, and to show them how to access the tournament and select their foursome members on the mobile site. Our start was a bit chaotic because I did not allow enough time for this. Still, all scorers figured it out in less than a minute as it is very easy. In our case, as tournament director I learned that in the future I will set up my foursomes by first assigning a smartphone scorer to each group and then adding players to the scorer's group. I also had set up a couple dummy tournaments to test things a couple weeks prior to our event and that was very helpful if you have the time. I was concerned that it might slow down play but this was not an issue at all. I would not do away with the paper score sheets yet, but at some point we'll probably be able to do so. I don't see us abandoning a hardcopy scorecard though.

In sum, I can't rave enough about Scrolf and the excitement it's generated with our weekly group.

Last edited:
thank you for the feedback....we're going to use it for our buddies trip, which this year is a little light. Which I think would be a good year to test it out...Did you find people staring at their phones the whole time? That's my only worry.

Our group stresses fast play and it wasn't an issue. But it's something we'll be keeping an eye on. Half the guys weren't paying any attention to it on the course but once they got in and heard the raves, most everyone was talking about it and looking at their phones. It will be interesting next week.

Back