Secret Grip by Boccieri Review - Forum Testing

As long as your username is not indicative of your body shape, you'll be fine.

I've been extremely busy with work and such over the past week or so but I managed to get in 2 range sessions and 1 round last week. I have been trying to put myself into situations where I can use the clubs with the Secret grips on them. Just a reminder, I have this on my 5i, 4w and 55*.

Here are my thoughts:

What Secret says about the grips is true. I really feel like they help you get a great rhythm and feel the club handle get into the correct slot. The extra weight is weird though. Like I mentioned previously, on some clubs it doesn't make the club head feel any lighter and the club overall just feels heavier, but on other clubs, it totally takes the feeling out of the club. I am thinking this is my feeling on the irons. I struggled with it on the 4 iron, and have not played well with the 5 iron either in the 3 rounds since I moved to it. To that extent, I feel comfortable hitting my 5 and 6 iron anywhere and I think it takes a bit of the perception of weight out of the club and my miss with it has been massive hooks. This is not the case with the 4w or the 55*. I think it is just OK on FW's and my thinking is that I may try it on the driver although I don't know what that would accomplish as I hit my driver the best out of all my clubs.

I think the Secret grips shine brightly when put on wedges, especially if you don't take full shots with them. I have not had a bad shot with it on my 55* since I installed it. I love the feeling it provides on 1/2, 3/4 and chips. It really is amazing because this is the club I was most hesitant to install it on but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

To conclude, I feel that it really helps to take smooth swings, especially if you need help with going OTT or have casting issues. I typically am not one of those players and feel that to a certain point, the huge difference in SW could possibly cause issues with "Feel players" or players that like to feel the club head throughout the swing but if you aren't' worried about that and just like a lighter feeling club or don't worry about where the club head is in your swing then they might be worth a try.

I agree with what runpuddrun in that there are a couple of my clubs where I can say that I've lost some feel for the club head. Strangely enough I only notice it in my hybrids. Driver, irons, and wedges have retained close to the same feel.

Something trivial I've noticed that is a plus is that the Secret Grips don't seem to get very dirty as I suspected they would with their prominent texturing. In a tropical climate I play some fairly sloppy conditions and have yet to have to wipe the grips down. I usually wipe my grips down after every round but wanted to look into this. They definitely get dirt on them as it has rubbed off on and ruined my glove but it hasn't clogged the texturing and doesn't degrade the amount of grip friction they provide.

I've found that the Secret Grips provide me with a little "swing thought" if you will. It's subconscious really but the extra weight in my hands has been reminding me to swing the club with my core and shoulders more and less with my arms and hands. I guess my mind has found a way to turn that little extra weight in my hands into kind of a deactivation trigger for my smaller muscles.

One thing that is really starting to build up on me is my wrist. My left wrist as a result of the way I swing is always just a tiny bit sore after I play a good bit of golf but here lately it has been progressively getting worse. And where I usually feel 100% after taking off a day I can still feel quite a bit of pain irking me even after a good rest since putting the Secret Grips on my clubs. It might not be the grips causing this. It might just be something that's been building up and has decided to rear its nasty head at a poorly chosen time. Only time will tell.

I continue to see a mixed bag of ups and downs with the Secret Grip. If my wrist heals up and stops hurting so bad when swinging these around I'll be able to say that the positives outweigh the negatives.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I talked to one of my buddies who's an orthopedic doctor or DO just a little bit ago since I know he's on call tonight and never sleeps when he's on call. (one of the few perks of working in medicine)

He set me up for some scans and tests tomorrow to get me the DL on my wrist complaints. Maybe we'll be able to tell if it's long term build up "chronic" or if this is due to recent trauma.

I sure hope that the nature of the beast with these grips isn't too much for my sissy wrists. :alien:

Great updates fellas. COLT, hope you figure out your wrist problems.

I want to give a big thanks to c0ncept, He PM'd me last week saying he would send me a Secret Grip. Well I came home from League last night to the grip sitting on my table. I cannot wait to get it on my R11. Thanks again c0ncept.

Am I seeing that you guys are really noticing the loss of the feel in the longer irons? I wonder what effect a little lead tape would have.

The Amp has been loaded up in the bag. Now to get the courage to ask Erica if I'm playing golf this weekend haha. She's a little burned out due to all the MC golf I've been playing.

I am really thinking about getting a Secret Grip for my Amp 3w. Love the club so far but want a little more weight and was thinking the Secret Grip might help that.

Am I seeing that you guys are really noticing the loss of the feel in the longer irons? I wonder what effect a little lead tape would have.

I haven't noticed a loss of feel in my longer irons. The longest iron I hit is a 5-iron but I haven't noticed a difference in feel really. Same goes for the 4-wood, 7-wood, or the Mashie.

Right on. It's such a personal thing, so no surprise that you all have slightly different thoughts.

Hawk, I was especially worried about loss of feel due to these grips since I have the Aerotech composite steel/graphite shafts. I was very concerned what effect changing the balance point with the extra weight in the grip might have in the consistency of the shafts. Basically I was worried it was going to make them feel too light and I was gonna lose accuracy/consistency, which is what I saw over time when I had tried the Miyazaki graphite shafts in my 2.0s. So far I haven't noticed any change in ball flight or consistency.

Very nice. I can't wait to take the driver to the course.

I wonder what adding the Secret grip to an ultralight shaft or light graphite or steel iron shaft would feel like. I don't use UL shafts as I prefer a heavier feel but wonder what having a heavy grip on a light shaft would accomplish.

My shafts are 85 grams. They are not ultralight but they are also not near the heavy end by steel standards either. As stated, I haven't had a problem YET.

Man, I cannot wait to take this driver to the course. I stopped by the range today and was striping it. Only one miss right (push) and everything else was the pretty draw or straight ball. Ball flight seems higher than I remember the AMP being in the past, but that was a while ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343948134.863023.jpg
Heavy R11! Can't wait to get it to the range!!

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Awesome. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

The more feedback the merrier. I think it will be interesting to hear you guys' take on how the grip feels and what impact you see.

Not a Secret Grip testing but I did go to the range with my i20's last night. (they needed love) And now that I've grown accustomed to the Secret Grips nothing I tried could get me to stop flipping through the ball and jerking back my takeaway. Aargh! I see this as a positive and a negative. Positive, the Secret Grip works as advertised. Negative, I might not ever go back from counterbalancing and non-taper grips again...

Not a Secret Grip testing but I did go to the range with my i20's last night. (they needed love) And now that I've grown accustomed to the Secret Grips nothing I tried could get me to stop flipping through the ball and jerking back my takeaway. Aargh! I see this as a positive and a negative. Positive, the Secret Grip works as advertised. Negative, I might not ever go back from counterbalancing and non-taper grips again...

That is very interesting. Its like grip crack and you cant stop.

Just finished reading through the updates over the last few days and you guys are doing a great job, this is not the easiest golf item out there to test.

I really like what I am reading about the grip helping to get the club into the slot on the down swing. I think that is a critical point in the golf swing - the start of a good transition. After seeing a few guys (not official testers) mention just putting one onto a driver, I thought I would like to try the same. Well, I went out to the site and knew the grip was $17 but the cheapest shipping brought it to $26.37 so I think I will hold off and maybe try Hawk's in Iowa. Really want to give it a go, but $26 for 1 grip ($9.38 being shipping) is a bit overkill IMO.

Just finished reading through the updates over the last few days and you guys are doing a great job, this is not the easiest golf item out there to test.

I really like what I am reading about the grip helping to get the club into the slot on the down swing. I think that is a critical point in the golf success - the start of a good transition. After seeing a few guys (not official testers) mention just putting one onto a driver, I thought I would like to try the same. Well, I went out to the site and knew the grip was $17 but the cheapest shipping brought it to $26.37 so I think I will hold off and maybe try Hawk's in Iowa. Really want to give it a go, but $26 for 1 grip ($9.38 being shipping) is a bit overkill IMO.

Wow, that is a lot for a grip.

Anyone at the NC Tour Van Stop going to have a Secret Grip. I agree with cookie, hard to spend that kind of money on a grip without first testing one.

Yea, I saw that too, Cookie. I wanted to get 5 of them, which does make the shipping a little more realistic, but I'm so damn cheap. It's hard for me to spend $100 on grips. I still might do it though. I'm going to try out jacob's this weekend and see what I think.

They are pricey I will say that but when I talked to the company and asked if they were worried that the price point was gonna keep sales down he said that they don't have much choice because the metal insert molded into the grip process is not cheap. I think I mentioned earlier that they cut 20% of the list price when I got my extra 10 so that with shipping the total was $145, which is still way more than normal grips. I will have to take a couple of irons from an earlier set to the range to see if I get the same results as Colt. Crack Grip - I like it. Maybe they should've gone with that name instead of the Secret Grip.

Yea, it's not like they are much more than something like the NDMC and the benefits could well be worth it.

Yea, it's not like they are much more than something like the NDMC and the benefits could well be worth it.

I agree - I think they just need to figure out a way to ship a grip for $2 instead of $9. Unfortunately, that alone will keep more people from trying it out.

Back