Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood - Technology Q&A

I'm seeing somewhere between 3h and 4w distance with mine. Probably closer to 3h, just more consistent.

Ok. Had a chance to hit mine yesterday. My 3h is around 185 ish. The Heavenwood went around 185-200 depending on the quality of the swing. No matter what fairway wood (3 or 5) my limit is always 200 and usually includes about 15-20 yes or roll.
So it held up nicely distance wise. I loved the high flight.

I was impressed with it. The long shaft is a bit much for me (5'4") but I just tried to take a controlled swing and let the club do the work.

I did notice my longest shots were off the deck so I think when using a tee I need to keep the ball flush with the ground.

Ok. Had a chance to hit mine yesterday. My 3h is around 185 ish. The Heavenwood went around 185-200 depending on the quality of the swing. No matter what fairway wood (3 or 5) my limit is always 200 and usually includes about 15-20 yes or roll.
So it held up nicely distance wise. I loved the high flight.

I was impressed with it. The long shaft is a bit much for me (5'4") but I just tried to take a controlled swing and let the club do the work.

I did notice my longest shots were off the deck so I think when using a tee I need to keep the ball flush with the ground.

If I can find a good lie on the tee box, I don't tee mine up. I found the same thing as well and my right to left ball flight is more controlled off the deck. I am actually getting a little more distance with playing it at 42.5" than the 42.75" I started out with. Used a shaft tip weight to negate the drop in swing weight.

I LOVE this club. I swing ddec's five times today, and four of them were perfect--with the fifth being good as well. I hit the ball high and very straight (the exception being the fifth I mentioned above). It's just silly easy to hit.

I didn't really get a good gauge on distance today, but I've been chasing a 200 yard club that I can hit STRAIGHT and I think I finally found it.

One ball in particular excited the heck out of me. I was not swinging good today, and I took what felt like a really bad swipe at the ball with this, and caught it way out on the toe, and it still launched high and straight.

Want…need one…

After 6 months of trying everything under the sun to get this club to work for me the way I want it to, I have finally thrown in the towel on it. I get the same distance, just not as high of launch, from my 23* Z U45 and get plenty of launch and about 15 yards more distance from my XHot Pro 5W. May put a shaft back in it and try it again one of these days.

I am still on the fence with mine. I only game one fairway wood so I use it mainly for advancement shots on par 5’s, narrow par 4 tee’s and the occasional long par 3 hole.

I actually find its better for me off the deck than off the tee. I think what is happening is from the deck I am likely choking down a little but on tee shots I am playing it full length. I measured mine at the stock lie angle and it came out to 43 1/8”. Most of the time I play my fairway woods at 41.5” so I am sure this has to do with my accuracy issues off the tee. I haven’t blatantly duffed a ball in quite some time and the first round with the Heavenwood I actually barely made contact and hit two off the tee about 40 yds.

I think what I am going to do is take some masking tape and mark the grip at a playing length of 42” and see how the club works at that length. If I don’t lose any distance off the deck I should be in business. I really love the launch it provides. For a slow swinger like me I am actually seeing total distances that equal prior 3 and 5 woods I gamed. At my swing speed I seem to cap out around 195-200 yds no matter what loft of fairway wood I try so if I can get there with more backspin and less side spin and straighter shots I am all for that.

Cutting the Heaven Wood shorter would negate really the idea behind the Heaven Wood. You might be better off just grabbing a 7 wood or so. The link in the first post explains more about that from the people that made it than I can.

Cutting the Heaven Wood shorter would negate really the idea behind the Heaven Wood. You might be better off just grabbing a 7 wood or so. The link in the first post explains more about that from the people that made it than I can.

When I was fit for the V series woods at the CPC, they had me in -1/2" in the 3W, and we just took -1/2" off the Heavenwood to match. I've always played my 3W at 43" or a little shorter - so, given that the heavenwood is 4W length, we shortened it a little.

After playing for a while, I'm pretty sure I agree with you on this - because I'm considering going with just the Heavenwood in the bag to free up a slot, I'm thinking of going back to the original length. While the gapping works out perfectly, I think the Heavenwood a bit longer will split the difference. I tried it out again in the store, and I think with the lighter weight, the slightly longer length than I'm used to playing is less of an issue.

This is still such a fun club for me.

I definitely understand their concept so that is why I'm hestitant to shorten the club just yet.

I thought about trying the 7w but the head is substantially bigger on the HW which I like.
I'll give it a few more rounds.

If you come on out to the THP Event in Ohio in a couple of weeks we can put you on FlightScope on the range with a couple of clubs of varying lengths and see what is what. No better way than that to see what is working.

This sounds like a cool club but not sure how it would fit in my bag as I play a 2 hybrid (18) degree and hit it really well. In fact better than any 3 wood I have ever gamed. I suppose it's due to the confidence I have in the length of the club and the solid contact I make with it. With that said this heavenwood has intrigued me.

This sounds like a cool club but not sure how it would fit in my bag as I play a 2 hybrid (18) degree and hit it really well. In fact better than any 3 wood I have ever gamed. I suppose it's due to the confidence I have in the length of the club and the solid contact I make with it. With that said this heavenwood has intrigued me.

The height, it's gonna go way higher than the 2 hybrid. It comes in handy when you have that errant tee shot and instead of pitching back to a fairway your gonna go over trees and put it on the green.

Played a course yesterday that I've played in the past and one of the holes is an extreme dogleg left around really tall trees and every other time I've played there I've hit the trees trying to go over, yesterday I played the Heavenwood and got right over and into the fairway.

Honestly this club has become one of my most reliable. Off the tee, off the deck, even in the rough depending on the lie. It's getting to the point where I'm feeling confident manipulating ball flight and distance.

Can they make some Heavenwood irons please? Thanks.

You guys are not making this easy. I've been pondering the Heavenwood since it came out. I just can't figure out the gapping with my 5 Deep, which I also love.

You guys are not making this easy. I've been pondering the Heavenwood since it came out. I just can't figure out the gapping with my 5 Deep, which I also love.

Come on down to the event in Ohio in 2 weeks, and you can use my personal one for the round.

Come on down to the event in Ohio in 2 weeks, and you can use my personal one for the round.
I will unfortunately be travelling to California during the event. Sometime soon I'll be at a THP event though.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I hit the best shot of my life with this club on Sunday. Strong downwind and downhill par 4, 404 yards. Had 75 yards to the green. Of course I suffer my second shot.

Last edited:
Ole Gray: The difference is in the ball height. The long shafted 7W is good for forced carry, where a green is "protected" by an obstacle. The 2H is good for that low runner, ball advancement shot. While I hit my long shafted 7w and my 2H about the same distance (about 190 off the deck), the flight and risk profiles are different. The 2H is probably not going to get me into as much trouble laterally, but simply will not work into a guarded green.

erock74: I tend to agree that shortening it can take the magic out of it. I did that with a 588 7W. Those originally are 42.75 and I cut mine back to 41.5 (which is what I'd played previous 7ws at). It kind of lost some pop. I mean, some was expected given -1.25 on the shaft length, but it was then short enough that I couldn't play it as the "only" FW. It fit the gap, but I had to have the 5W "above" it.

I think the win of the Heavenwood/long shafted 7w is that you are playing it as your primary FW. You will trade carry yardage for roll yardage so you're going to give up some roll out on dry courses. You're going to get more lateral forgiveness than a 3-5W, so the FW as a whole is a lower risk shot.

Like with a high lofted wedge, the key is shot selection. I have a tendency to fall in love with 7ws because the ball flight is so pretty. A lot of times I'm better off using a hybrid because a lateral miss is worse than being short. It's still a FW, and needs to be used when the shot calls for a FW.

If you can't handle the shaft length, then I don't think the Heavenwood (or any of these long shafted 7ws) is the right club. Just go with a shorter shafted 4 or 5 wood. You'll get the same relative distance and a shot that is higher than a low lofted hybrid.

If you come on out to the THP Event in Ohio in a couple of weeks we can put you on FlightScope on the range with a couple of clubs of varying lengths and see what is what. No better way than that to see what is working.

JB, thanks for the offer but that's the weekend of my sons birthday so I can't make it down. Well I could make it down theoretically but I would probably end up divorced. LOL

Good grief I adore this setup. Deck and tee, its just so damn consistent for me, and I love that I have ZERO fear of my fade with it.

I look forward to getting my swing fixed cause right now I'm the only guy on earth that can't elevate this club and I miss it dearly

I look forward to getting my swing fixed cause right now I'm the only guy on earth that can't elevate this club and I miss it dearly

It'll happen Mike. I have faith.

Its just so damn silly fun and/or funny at times. I literally chuckle after hitting it all the time.

James is right on point with this one. I struggled with fairway woods until the Vseries. Confidence with the Heavenwood is ridiculous.

Nope, I'm there with you Mike. I've been struggling with this one off the deck and hitting low penetrating shots off the tee unless I tee it up a little higher. I guess the good news is we know it is us and not the club.

It'll happen Mike. I have faith.

Its just so damn silly fun and/or funny at times. I literally chuckle after hitting it all the time.

I had about 190 into a pin Friday in league play, I just happened to have a large tree between my ball and the green.
I tell my partner "This is HeavenWood Territory" I put a decent (for me) swing and the ball jumps almost immediately into the air and over the tree, I was short of the green a couple yards, but everyone in the group (including myself) was amazed at the shot, which left me an easy bump and run for a 2' par putt.

This club almost seems like you're cheating!

I had about 190 into a pin Friday in league play, I just happened to have a large tree between my ball and the green.
I tell my partner "This is HeavenWood Territory" I put a decent (for me) swing and the ball jumps almost immediately into the air and over the tree, I was short of the green a couple yards, but everyone in the group (including myself) was amazed at the shot, which left me an easy bump and run for a 2' par putt.

Very cool. That's what these long shafted 7ws are great for. Getting the ball up quickly or navigating forced carry from a long ways out.

I had a similar shot this past weekend. I was about 8-10 feet behind an 8 foot high mound, and about 190 yard out. The ball had to get up really fast. I don't have the swing speed or the attack angle to have gotten there with a hybrid or iron. I used my long shafted 7w, hit down hard and ended up about 10 yards short. I'll take that 10 times out of 10 given my ability level, and where I was sitting.

Back