71e812adf52674f9d970d9b56ec2d62e.jpg

And got some tattoos
a62685a795d23187b7fe19c69383c2aa.jpg

Kids off to church camp for the first time today til thursday. And I'm gone for the legacy til next Monday night. That's a long freaking time to be apart

Hopefully we keep you busy enough to take your mind off of it. I feel the same way traveling without my family this year.

Hopefully we keep you busy enough to take your mind off of it. I feel the same way traveling without my family this year.
Oh no doubt it will be all good when I get down there...they are big fans of trophies

Oh no doubt it will be all good when I get down there...they are big fans of trophies

Are you going to show them Dev's trophy case?
I kid of course, I mean the Hall of Fame at THP HQ got a formal request to change the name to Dean Hall.

So, for those of you that sleep trained, what method did you use? If you didn't, why not?

We're at that point and I'm struggling with what to do, and crying it out isn't an option.

I've tried to start the pick-up/put-down stuff on my own while Amanda is on nights, but I'm too much a baby about my baby to do it alone.

Anywho, any thoughts/convo would be appreciated.

So, for those of you that sleep trained, what method did you use? If you didn't, why not?

We're at that point and I'm struggling with what to do, and crying it out isn't an option.

I've tried to start the pick-up/put-down stuff on my own while Amanda is on nights, but I'm too much a baby about my baby to do it alone.

By sleep train I'm assuming you mean letting them cry/smooth themselves back to sleep?

Probably not the popular answer, but for us we just put them in the bed with us. We have the girls rooms upstairs and we initially tried rocking them back to sleep in the glider. Worked for my oldest as she was easier to put down, but the youngest is a light sleeper & immediately looked for one of us when we put her down. So we just used the guest room queen bed or brought them downstairs to ours and made life easier.

For us it was easier to move them to their own bed later on than let/make them cry it out. Just couldn't do it, I'm too much of a push over and couldn't stand hearing my babies cry.

By sleep train I'm assuming you mean letting them cry/smooth themselves back to sleep?

Probably not the popular answer, but for us we just put them in the bed with us. We have the girls rooms upstairs and we initially tried rocking them back to sleep in the glider. Worked for my oldest as she was easier to put down, but the youngest is a light sleeper & immediately looked for one of us when we put her down. So we just used the guest room queen bed or brought them downstairs to ours and made life easier.

For us it was easier to move them to their own bed later on than let/make them cry it out. Just couldn't do it, I'm too much of a push over and couldn't stand hearing my babies cry.

Mike, you don't know how nice it is to see someone post something like this, with all the stuff out there from "experts" I've hit that overwhelmed point where I almost feel guilty for wanting to baby my baby and enjoy her. She's only going to be a baby once. We need to mover her to her crib in her room, that isn't an option as shes at that point of too big for her bassinet, but I can't do this no rocking them to sleep thing, I adore my time rocking her to sleep. I dunno, there is so much out there that makes things insanely overwhelming.

Mike, you don't know how nice it is to see someone post something like this, with all the stuff out there from "experts" I've hit that overwhelmed point where I almost feel guilty for wanting to baby my baby and enjoy her. She's only going to be a baby once. We need to mover her to her crib in her room, that isn't an option as shes at that point of too big for her bassinet, but I can't do this no rocking them to sleep thing, I adore my time rocking her to sleep. I dunno, there is so much out there that makes things insanely overwhelming.

Dude we tried to "do it by the book" with the first one, but quickly realized with our schedules it just wasn't going to happen.

I would fall asleep on the couch with them on my chest, in the glider or flat out put them in bed with me surrounded by pillows bc that's what made them happy and calm. I never understood the "let them cry" mentality. For some it works and that's cool, but for us we valued our sleep and sanity over listening to a baby cry on the monitor.

Plus like you said they are only babies once and we enjoyed the heck out of making them happy and sleep calmly.

Dude we tried to "do it by the book" with the first one, but quickly realized with our schedules it just wasn't going to happen.

I would fall asleep on the couch with them on my chest, in the glider or flat out put them in bed with me surrounded by pillows bc that's what made them happy and calm. I never understood the "let them cry" mentality. For some it works and that's cool, but for us we valued our sleep and sanity over listening to a baby cry on the monitor.

Plus like you said they are only babies once and we enjoyed the heck out of making them happy and sleep calmly.

Mike, thank you my friend. Seriously.

I don't have kids but my buddy has a 3 year old. They never did the let him cry thing either and let him sleep with them. One night, he was probably 2 1/2, my buddy told him it's time for bed and he said he wanted to sleep in Tom. (Thomas bed.) He's been sleeping alone ever since. He did it on his own when he was ready.

How I did it with my first was to lay her down in her crib and sit with her in a chair beside the crib. She would wake up, fuss, and I was right there to hold her and soothe her back to sleep. Kept the chair right beside her crib for the first couple nights.

Third night I was still in her room, char was a few feet away. Lather rinse repeat. She was a little fussier but was still able to get her calm fairly quickly. Couple nights here.

Couple nights later, chair in the doorway. Transition time. She was really fussy and was a little harder to get her calm. Momma had to come help a couple times in this stage.

Finally, chair in the hallway, still visible from her crib. Once we got to this point all it took when she woke and stood up was to walk to the doorway and calm her, and she would lay back down and go back to sleep.

It was easier the second time for sure.

We did the thing where you let them cry a while, soothe, let them cry more for a little longer, soothe, etc. It sucks in the present, but takes very little time to implement.

Some stuff we did was get a sleep sheep if you dont have one. For whatever reason, Anabelle loved that sound. Sitting down with her and reading and singing also helped. Doesnt matter what you read or sing, they dont know. They just know that you are there. I would just read until she fell asleep and then put her down. It will take a little time to get in a rhythm but once you get into the groove with anything, they start to follow suit.

Some stuff we did was get a sleep sheep if you dont have one. For whatever reason, Anabelle loved that sound. Sitting down with her and reading and singing also helped. Doesnt matter what you read or sing, they dont know. They just know that you are there. I would just read until she fell asleep and then put her down. It will take a little time to get in a rhythm but once you get into the groove with anything, they start to follow suit.

Yeah, we have a dohm white noise machine in our room and hers, its awesome, and no 30 minute turnoff like her sheep (but the sheep is a travelling blessing).

Thats what I'm going to do I think, its just hard because so many "experts" are on the "no sleep crutch" bandwagon and how rocking/reading/feeding/whatever them until their completely asleep is bad. I just want to enjoy her while shes this size, because its going away so damn fast.

Yeah, we have a dohm white noise machine in our room and hers, its awesome, and no 30 minute turnoff like her sheep (but the sheep is a travelling blessing).

Thats what I'm going to do I think, its just hard because so many "experts" are on the "no sleep crutch" bandwagon and how rocking/reading/feeding/whatever them until their completely asleep is bad. I just want to enjoy her while shes this size, because its going away so damn fast.

Eff the experts. You and Amanda are the experts of your kid. Everything else is suggestions but no one really knows what will work for Charlotte. Its trial and error which sucks but you guys will get in a groove. Let me see if I can find the article my wife sent me about "letting kids cry it out". If people want to do that, that's there thing but I would never let my kid just cry and cry.

It was easier the second time for sure.

We did the thing where you let them cry a while, soothe, let them cry more for a little longer, soothe, etc. It sucks in the present, but takes very little time to implement.

We did similar to Hawk with ours and it has worked really well. basically you put the child down, if they cry you let them go for one min, go in soothe replace pacifier what not, leave the room, wait 3 mins. repeat, then 5 then 10. They would usually fall asleep between the 3 and 5 min check sometime before the 10, I don't recall sitting out the 10 min.

We did similar to Hawk with ours and it has worked really well. basically you put the child down, if they cry you let them go for one min, go in soothe replace pacifier what not, leave the room, wait 3 mins. repeat, then 5 then 10. They would usually fall asleep between the 3 and 5 min check sometime before the 10, I don't recall sitting out the 10 min.

With the first one we waited until something crazy like 10 months. After it was done I wanted to kick my own ass for not doing it sooner.

Charlotte also isn't a sleeper or a napper, and was collicky which compounds the problem, soothing isn't the easiest thing in the world as she's quick to just go full on ballistic.

I pray the second kiddo has my sleep habits, and not her moms like Lotte does. Hahahaha

Eff the experts. You and Amanda are the experts of your kid. Everything else is suggestions but no one really knows what will work for Charlotte. Its trial and error which sucks but you guys will get in a groove. Let me see if I can find the article my wife sent me about "letting kids cry it out". If people want to do that, that's there thing but I would never let my kid just cry and cry.

I can't thank this enough. Absolutely correct, Eff the experts bc this is YOUR child and you know what's best.

Enjoy the heck out of her right now & worry about it later.

Charlotte also isn't a sleeper or a napper, and was collicky which compounds the problem, soothing isn't the easiest thing in the world as she's quick to just go full on ballistic.

I pray the second kiddo has my sleep habits, and not her moms like Lotte does. Hahahaha

Here is the article I was talking about earlier. Put things in perspective for me in terms of "Letting her cry it out"

http://parentingredefined.blogspot.com/2010/12/letters-from-baby-please-dont-let-me.html?m=1

We got a sleep sheep with Cole and would turn it on when we put him down for bed, it would stay on for 45 minutes and that helped him figure out how to fall asleep. When he was pretty young, we would swaddle him and rock him a bit before putting him in his crib. We switched him from the bassinet to a crib at 2 months. We also did the cry it out method, up to 10-15 minutes at a time. You'll be able to figure it out whether a kid is crying just because they're in-and-out of sleep or because they are hungry. Our son was sleeping through the night at 4 months and has been ever since then. Again, just our experience, sleep training is highly individualized. Letting him cry it out was hard at times on my wife and I, but we were committed to it.

Natalie was a challenge. It wasn't our plan but one of our parents gave us an old school reminder about letting her cry it out. We didn't have any other ideas and we were freakin' tired so we went with it and it worked. I know that's not the answer you were looking for.

FWIW a pediatrician friend says let them sleep with you as long as they want - we are the only mammals that separate from our kids...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son climbs out of his bed and comes into ours every night. We had to put him in a full size bed because he would not sleep in a crib. We are trying to break him of it but at 19 months it is a challenge. Also he now is starting to point and say words really well so we are trying to get him to start saying the word instead of pointing and grunting or whining. He seems to be getting better about the tantrums but he still throws at least 1 a day.

Well, after not getting plunked once all season, in the first game of the playoffs tonight my son got drilled right in the ribs. Every coach in the dugout went "oooooooh" and winced it was so loud. He got a bit teary eyed, but stayed on his feet and walked it off with one of the other coaches while I stayed in the dugout. He ended up belting a single into the outfield in his next at bat and told me he was mad that he got drilled since he thought he could get a hit off of the kid who was pitching at the time.

The team was down 6-2 after 3, and ended up winning with a walkoff hit 7-6. Our next game is Wednesday night, it's double elimination so we won't know who we're playing until tomorrow morning. I can't believe how much fun tonight was for all the parents watching the kids mount a big comeback, it's nights like these that make coaching so worthwhile.

Well, after not getting plunked once all season, in the first game of the playoffs tonight my son got drilled right in the ribs. Every coach in the dugout went "oooooooh" and winced it was so loud. He got a bit teary eyed, but stayed on his feet and walked it off with one of the other coaches while I stayed in the dugout. He ended up belting a single into the outfield in his next at bat and told me he was mad that he got drilled since he thought he could get a hit off of the kid who was pitching at the time.

The team was down 6-2 after 3, and ended up winning with a walkoff hit 7-6. Our next game is Wednesday night, it's double elimination so we won't know who we're playing until tomorrow morning. I can't believe how much fun tonight was for all the parents watching the kids mount a big comeback, it's nights like these that make coaching so worthwhile.

It never ceases to amaze me how resilient kids are. In the district playoff's for my daughter's softball team (league age 9-10, so there were some 11 y/o calendar age girls playing) our pitcher, who is 9, took a line drive to her left thigh. It was a shot off the bat and she had no chance. It seemed like the impact reverberated over everything and the whole crowd reacted with the same gasp...silence. It took her a few minutes to get back on her feet, but she gathered herself and finished pitching the inning and the rest of the game.

Pretty good composure on your part not coming out of the dugout yourself and letting another coach handle it.

Back