do you hit ground with practice swing/s and what are you looking for from the swing

I like to brush the grass and find the bottom of my swing so to speak.
This.

My practice swings are rarely full and mostly for tempo and what was stated above. Usually just looking to find the feel for the impact zone

"I don't always take a divot with my practice swing, but when I do, I accidentally hit my ball."

I just brush the grass on a practice swing. All I'm looking for is tempo.

I do a variation of the drill halfway through the video to get the right distance from the ball at setup. That's it.

I usually take one full practice swing per shot.

But to me I want it to feel like a real shot so I take a divot and everything. Just like I plan to on the next shot.

I do not take a divot... I will lightly brush the grass.

I pretty much use my 2-3 partial practice swings just to get loose and comfortable. I never take a full practice swing.

I take a practice swing most every time. It's about trying to get the right tempo and ground interaction for the shot. It's the one part of the game that I admittedly do slowly.

I try to feel my transition on a practice swing. I want the feeling of my elbow dropping into the right spot. Not necessarily trying or not trying to hit the ground

I have to brush the grass with my practice swings. For the most part I am just practicing tempo and making sure i have the bottom of my swing plane in my head.

I take two sets of practice swings. Before I step up to the ball I take a couple of quick swings just to get the feel of the club. Once I am over the ball I took a couple of quarter swings over top of the ball to make sure I'm keeping my clubface square for the impact zone. That's what I'm looking for.

with so many practice swings it must take you 4 1/2 to 5 hours to play 18 holes

Take one practice swing (kindof) just to feel the bottom of the club clip the grass. Get the feel down and go

Before it's my turn to hit I usually take a couple swings to get loose. Then after I address the ball I take 1-3 practice swings at about 80-90%, taking a slight divot each time, generally in the same spot. If I'm getting the right feel and turf interaction I step to the ball and fire away. I practice swing until I have the right feel. If it doesn't happen in those first few swings I step out and reload. Does it take few extra seconds? Perhaps, but i take other measures to afford me the time.

I think hitting the ground is important as very few shots are the same. With the ball above/below your feet, you need to insure that you are set up properly for success. IMO not doing so is just a huge gamble.

do you hit ground with practice swing/s and what are you looking for from the...

do you hit ground with practice swing/s and what are you looking for from the...

I wouldn't call it a practice swing, and I don't want to get too caught up in positions, but I want to feel a certain way with my hands and come down into the ball as square as possible through the impact zone so I practice above the ground in slow motion through to release (turning over) of the wrists which is about 30cm past the impact zone. It's a part of my pre shot routine so I'm over the ball when I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I only have a practice swing on wedge shots, chips and pitches. I only hit the ground on chips/pitches practice swings. Just looking to get a feel for the distance really and trying to force myself to accelerate on the short shots.

I like to brush the grass just one time to make sure I know where the bottom of the swing is, and I like to attempt to get a feel for where the clubhead is based on the club length.

I don't do full practice swings except to stretch back out after waiting. Mostly its half wedge kind of swings exaggerating body turn to remind myself to turn through with my hips.

I don't understand those who say that they need 2 or 3 practice swings to find where the ground is. I do that when I take my stance. As long as my head stays fairly level, the ground is still going to be where it was at address - it isn't going anywhere. If your grip and stance are good, finding the ground should be automatic.

I can understand a quick swing to get the feel of the club - I used to do that too. When you go from driver to iron or FW wood to hybrid to wedge, the feel of each club is different and until I started playing a lot, I needed that. I used to take a quick wave to feel the weight of the clubhead while standing behind the ball getting my target. That's about as much of a practice swing as I've ever taken, and I might just go back to that as part of my pre-shot routine this year while I'm trying to get my game back on track after nearly a 3 year hiatus.

I don't understand those who say that they need 2 or 3 practice swings to find where the ground is. I do that when I take my stance. As long as my head stays fairly level, the ground is still going to be where it was at address - it isn't going anywhere. If your grip and stance are good, finding the ground should be automatic.

I can understand a quick swing to get the feel of the club - I used to do that too. When you go from driver to iron or FW wood to hybrid to wedge, the feel of each club is different and until I started playing a lot, I needed that. I used to take a quick wave to feel the weight of the clubhead while standing behind the ball getting my target. That's about as much of a practice swing as I've ever taken, and I might just go back to that as part of my pre-shot routine this year while I'm trying to get my game back on track after nearly a 3 year hiatus.
For me it is getting the right distance from the ball so I am not reaching. It is a relatively new part of my swing so my distance isn't ingrained yet.

I like to brush the grass just one time to make sure I know where the bottom of the swing is, and I like to attempt to get a feel for where the clubhead is based on the club length.

This^^^^^^^

Jack

Back