Florida vacation help needed

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
May 7th is my 10th anniversary. Wife and I are kicking around a 3-day getaway for just the two of us. She has abdicated everything to me for this.

Here are our requirements:

1. A good beach (where she will be most of the time) - a hotel on the beach is preferable.
2. Affordable golf (I should be able to get in a round while there) with club rental. A chance to play with THPers maybe?
3. Restaurants/Nightlife that caters more towards people in their late 30's/early 40's.

Based on this, I am thinking Florida is where to look. But I know next to nothing about where is actually a good place to go.

I can probably use miles for the flight and maybe the hotel which will help out a lot.

We are not wedded to the timeframe around May 7th, but for the moment that is where I am looking.

Thanks in advance!

Budget?
High end - Palm Beach or Hammock Beach
Middle of the Road - Siesta Key or Clearwater Beach
Affordable but still spectactular - St Pete Beach or Madeira Beach

To me, the prettiest beach in Florida is Siesta Key.

To me, the prettiest beach in Florida is Siesta Key.

Hammock Beach by a landslide for me, but Clearwater and Siesta are extremely solid.

We go to Marco Island..very nice beach and plenty of golf courses around Naples.

I'm partial to the Bradenton/Sarasota beaches. Siesta Key/Longboat Key/Anna Maria Island for me.

Do you guys think those beaches (Naples and Sarasota) during this time of year is conducive for that each bracket? I would think many times its perfect, but right now its very crowded and quite older demographic. Just my opinion however in comparing to Clearwater, St Pete, Madeira, etc.

My wife and I love St. Pete Beach. One thing we like is that the Hotels are actually on the beach. There are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance and we never felt like we were too old for the crowd. Clearwater only has one or two hotels actually on the beach if I remember correctly. The rest are on the other side of the street.

We go to Marco Island..very nice beach and plenty of golf courses around Naples.
I'll second this. The Marriott is pricey and they have two golf courses just outside the island (Rookery and Hammock Bay). I think it's one of the best beach resorts in the state and very relaxing.

If you guys want to party, come down to South Beach hehe.

My wife and I love St. Pete Beach. One thing we like is that the Hotels are actually on the beach. There are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance and we never felt like we were too old for the crowd. Clearwater only has one or two hotels actually on the beach if I remember correctly. The rest are on the other side of the street.

Correct. Hyatt is on the opposite side, but Hilton and what used to be Adams Mark are right on the water. Tradewinds in St Pete is a great spot as is the Loews Don Cesar. Madeira, Treasure Island and Indian Rocks all have options on the beach too.

Do you guys think those beaches (Naples and Sarasota) during this time of year is conducive for that each bracket? I would think many times its perfect, but right now its very crowded and quite older demographic. Just my opinion however in comparing to Clearwater, St Pete, Madeira, etc.

He's talking May, which is a nice lul between the snowbirds and the early summer when there are tons of families coming down. I probably would skip on Longboat now that I think about it if you are worried about an older crowd. But I was on Anna Maria last week and it is the usual mixed lot of some older, some younger, and quite a few families. I was there with my wife and we met other people down who were between our age and the OPs.

Not that the Pinellas beaches aren't a good choice, but I've always gravitated towards the beaches down there.

Correct. Hyatt is on the opposite side, but Hilton and what used to be Adams Mark are right on the water. Tradewinds in St Pete is a great spot as is the Loews Don Cesar. Madeira, Treasure Island and Indian Rocks all have options on the beach too.

We have stayed at both Tradewinds and Guy Harvey(which is owned/operated by Tradewinds) and they were both fantastic in my opinion. Though Tradewinds is larger and is more kid friendly. We stayed at Guy Harvey in November and actually preferred that location without the kids. Its smaller and not as busy and they have some cool fire pits and tables outside in the sand by the bar area. I haven't stayed at the Loews Don Cesar but you can't miss that big pink hotel at the end of the strip. I have heard very good things about it as well, though it is a bit pricier I believe.

As far as golf though, from what everyone here has said you'll have to drive a bit. I haven't played anywhere down there yet but I plan to in early April.

We have stayed at both Tradewinds and Guy Harvey(which is owned/operated by Tradewinds) and they were both fantastic in my opinion. Though Tradewinds is larger and is more kid friendly. We stayed at Guy Harvey in November and actually preferred that location without the kids. Its smaller and not as busy and they have some cool fire pits and tables outside in the sand by the bar area. I haven't stayed at the Loews Don Cesar but you can't miss that big pink hotel at the end of the strip. I have heard very good things about it as well, though it is a bit pricier I believe.

As far as golf though, from what everyone here has said you'll have to drive a bit. I haven't played anywhere down there yet but I plan to in early April.

It really depends for golf. Bardmoor is Public and only about 10-15 minutes away. Isla Del Sol is public and about 5 minutes from Don and 10-15 from Tradewinds. There are options depending on what you want.

First off, thank you to everyone!

Based on some initial searches, I think I found a perfect place in Siesta Key. But I am going to look at some others as well. I think I am settling on the Sarasota area though.

How far is it to there from the Tampa airport? I want to include Southwest Airlines in my search and that looks like the closest airport. Also would allow me to pack and travel my clubs.

Step 2, golf... We are looking at the 5/5 - 5/6 timeframe as full days there based on what I am currently trying for. That is a Tuesday and Wednesday. If you had one round to play in the area there, where would you go? I'd be willing to go up to $75 for the round. Also, consider this an open invite to join me!

First off, thank you to everyone!

Based on some initial searches, I think I found a perfect place in Siesta Key. But I am going to look at some others as well. I think I am settling on the Sarasota area though.

How far is it to there from the Tampa airport? I want to include Southwest Airlines in my search and that looks like the closest airport. Also would allow me to pack and travel my clubs.

Step 2, golf... We are looking at the 5/5 - 5/6 timeframe as full days there based on what I am currently trying for. That is a Tuesday and Wednesday. If you had one round to play in the area there, where would you go? I'd be willing to go up to $75 for the round. Also, consider this an open invite to join me!

Its far from the Tampa airport. In current traffic, about 90 minutes. Golf is going to be about 30 minutes away if you want someplace decent. Think University Park, Waterlefe or RiverStrand. You will be playing in offseason, so price should not be an issue.

Clearwater, St Pete, Madeira and the like would all be closer to that airport by about 45 minutes to an hour.

Beach wise i agree with JB on the beaches. I don't know about golf in the area.

All of JB's reccomendations are great for golf. I also love Sarasota National Which is about 45 minutes from Siesta Key.

All of JB's reccomendations are great for golf. I also love Sarasota National Which is about 45 minutes from Siesta Key.

Maybe. It took me over an hour about a month ago but some of the traffic will subside. Early in May can still be tough. That area of Sarasota is an absolute logjam at times. I made that exact drive (Siesta to Sarasota National) not too long ago. Worth the drive however.

Although to be fair, if I am only coming down to the area for a few days, I wouldnt fly into Tampa to stay in Siesta Key however...But that is just me. Good thing is there are choices to be had for just about anybody.

What about the Panhandle area, I know there are some nice resorts in the Fort Walton Beach and Destin areas. The beaches up there are some of the prettiest around.

But the downside is golf is probably not as good as the west coast area of Central Florida, and I dont' know about any THP'ers in that area.

I lived in Destin and loved it. Golf is there not too far from Pensacola airport or Panama City. Little more laid back, beautiful beachs, and more towards family, not a ton of night clubs or anything but a cool place none the less.

I can only speak to Sarasota and Longboat Key, but we were the youngest people there by about 40 years on average.

while I love Sarasota, where the golf, beaches and restaurants are great, it is heavily weighted toward the senior set.

Traffic in May should not be bad as Easter marks the completion of the exodus.

Siesta beach & St. Pete are nice.

Tons of great courses around, throw a stone in any direction and you should be able to find one.

Best of luck finding your destination and have fun when you get here!!

Well, the plans got put on hold. My mother-in-law may have a cracked spine (osteoporosis) and she is the primary option for overnight child care. But I will hang onto these. Question, when does the "off season" end down there?

Back