kuyaariel

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just curious if anyone here uses a 7 hybrid. I have Callaway XR 3-6 hybrids and hit them great. Definitely better than their iron counterparts. I'm thinking about getting a 7 hybrid. I've used super game improvement irons in the past (Big Bertha, etc) and didn't get along with them.

Just curious if anyone here uses a 7 hybrid. I have Callaway XR 3-6 hybrids and hit them great. Definitely better than their iron counterparts. I'm thinking about getting a 7 hybrid. I've used super game improvement irons in the past (Big Bertha, etc) and didn't get along with them.

My initial reaction is maybe you should be playing different irons if you have trouble hitting your 7 iron but then again why is it any different thany someone who plays a 7 wood or SGI irons? If you can give it a try and it works for you, go for it.

Wilson Staff D200 has a 7 iron and it's really solid.

Odd that you enjoy the hybrids, but did not get along with the larger club heads, but it is what it is. Hollow body and oversize is what you are looking for here in a general sense. Check out the Cleveland Altitude hybrid irons.

+1 to what JB says.

At a certain point it comes down to shear economics. If you are going to get down to about a 5 hybrid, then it's cheaper to just buy a whole set of Altitudes even if you only play the ones you want. If you are going down to the 6 or the 7, then it's really a no brainer.

One thing about the Altitudes, is that they start looking increasingly normal as you go down. The 6 is about the last one that really exposes the black cavity from looking at them top down. They just look like slightly larger faces.

My swing changes when I get down to the 7...much less wrist and elbow involved with a lot less lag unless I really need to step on it. As such, I would never want a hybrid at that loft. But play what you like. Outside of the Cleveland Altitudes, though, it might be tough to find a 7H to try out...pretty sure I've never seen one in a store.

The Adams 2014 New Idea line goes from 3-5 hybrid, to 6 & 7 hyron/transition irons, to traditional irons for the bottom of the bag. I game the 6 hyron and it segue's nicely into my 588 MTs.

Ah yes, the good old 7 hybrid.
Definitely well versed with this one.

I get along very well with my Tour Edge Trilogy Hybrids. I play a 20*, 23* and 26* all shortened 1”. Unfortunately they don’t make a 29* so I was on the lookout for a 29-31* hybrid to bridge the gap between those and my 7i.

It was tough to find a 29-31* hybrid. I briefly owned a Ping G10 32* hybrid and it was actually a very good club but because of the shaft length (it was slightly longer than my Trilogy 5h on a very clean hit I barely had a gap with it). Dummy me should have just shortened the G10 but I sold it before I thought of that. Cobra makes the Bafflers that come in a 31* but it was tough to find those in R flex. Nor could I find one to demo. Wilson also made the RS hybrids a couple years ago in a 32* I believe but once again could never find one to demo.

A few years ago I had purchased a Reva hybrid from Giga Golf and actually was surprised by it. I noticed they offered a 6h/31* so I spent the $24 and had it built with their proprietary True Temper steel shaft.
It immediately became my favorite club in the bag. It was very easy to hit. It was an awesome get out of trouble club because I could hit it higher than both my 5h and my 7i so it was great for going over top of trees and getting back into play. My only knock on it was on very windy days it just got hung up in the wind too much. It would still be in my bag but this season I switched the Cleveland Altitude irons and I play the 6i on down and the 6i gaps perfectly with my 5h.

I also briefly played the G20 31* hybrid this season. This is also another good one to try. But when I decided to take my Ping irons out of the bag this one came out with them.

My initial reaction is maybe you should be playing different irons if you have trouble hitting your 7 iron but then again why is it any different thany someone who plays a 7 wood or SGI irons? If you can give it a try and it works for you, go for it.

I second this.

Wishon 775HS bent to 32 degrees?

If it works, go for it. I carried up to 4 hybrids for the past four or five years but dropped them all for irons on my newest setup. Nothing at all with a bag full of hybrids.

I have the G20 31 hybrid. Mine is bent to purple dot (1 1/2 flat). Works just fine, good club. I have seen the new Tour Edge Hot Launch hybrid irons. Hybrids all the way down to SW as I recall. True hybrids, not hollow irons like the Altitudes. I have seen the Altitudes, I think they look nice. I'd love to have a set in carbon regular flex.

I'd say look for these and maybe the older HighBores. I think Adams made some Idea OS's down that far with hybrids and hollow irons. A12OS comes to mind. Get out there and hit them and see what works for you.

Mark Shuman

I play a 4H and a 5H and when the new irons come I will be adding a 6H. I say 100% play what works for you. Not sure why but i hit my 7i quite consistently yet my 8i is very very hit or miss.

I've only seen them at demo days, but the 2014 Big Bertha hybrids went down to a 7 hybrid, and are adjustable. They are expensive, but great club and shaft.

Back