The 2015 Grandaddy - Chance Of A Lifetime

I'm surprised at the direction this has gone. maybe some perceive citing an equipment change as a reason for inconsistent or sub-par play is rooted in being ungrateful for the amazing opportunity and gracious time and equipment callaway and the thp staff put in. I don't perceive it that way.

I am about 10 rounds and a few range sessions deep into new equipment, and I'm still mis-clubbing and having some "issues" as I get used to the equipment. and some of the worst results are from equipment for which I was professionally fitted. sometimes it's a matter of not knowing how the club will react from unique lies that you cannot recreate in a fitting. sometimes it's knowing what the ball will do in the wind.

guys on tour struggle with equipment changes (Rory was done when he switched to Nike, right?!). heck, they even have to strategize in foursomes when they're used to playing different golf balls. it's not a matter of the equipment exposing swing flaws in the best players in the world; it's about trusting something new in a pressure situation.

quite frankly, some people's comments have been downright rude, specifically the word "comical." I respect and understand where the thought about an equipment change is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No offense here but what you are citing is quite different than not knowing what club goes 150 yards.

I said before my post was not to call anybody out but instead to nip any "equipment caused our loss" things right where they were. Guys got fit by the best in the world. Guys got given a full bag of gear and got instruction by roger effin Cleveland. Day 1 there were no issues. Day 2 we flat out got beat by the better team that day.

Roger. Cleveland.

It makes my mind ache to try and grasp that awesomeness.

Roger. Cleveland.

I may have name dropped a little at dinner last night. "Yeah so when I was getting a bunker lesson from Roger...."

I just got out of church and is it wrong that I lit a candle and asked for # TheGrandaddy blessings?? ?

Just catching up here and the "competition" golf I've learned played one thing I know is you have to stay loose. Each player is motivated differently and your captain should learn how to tap into that and nurture it to keep you loose.

Also bad shots will happen. Even the pros have bad shots. It's how you bounce back and react that matters. Have a short term memory.

Last, but not least, be honest. Be honest about your game and your abilities. There's no shame with whatever game you bring, just be honest so the team can adjust and pick you up when needed because no matter how bad you think you are or how much you think others are better than you, a time will come when one of your shots will make a difference. Be honest & be ready.

Have I said how much I want this? Hahaha. This is going to be unreal. Whether I get lucky enough or not, this is motivating me to work on me and my game. Really something special that this event exists.

No offense here but what you are citing is quite different than not knowing what club goes 150 yards.

knowing and trusting are different. maybe I'm putting words in somebody's mouth, but when my 7i used to be my 150, and now it's a smooth 8 or hard 9, I know that, but when I have to pull off the shot over water when it matters in a match, that's a trust issue.

I hear what you're saying, and I think you're absolutely right. but I'm validating what has been said by a small minority, and I've experienced it too.

I guess I'm just surprised at the mocking tone some (not you) have taken. it's a departure from what I've come to expect and appreciate about this awesome community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roger. Cleveland.

Just when you think it couldn't get any better and then Roger Cleveland shows up to give a lesson... Who will it be this year? Short game magic from Phil Mickelson?

I may have name dropped a little at dinner last night. "Yeah so when I was getting a bunker lesson from Roger...."

Yesterday, I thanked Roger a few times myself!
The knowledge bombs dropped on us, and the clarity and simpleness of his instruction is amazing.
Standing over a bunker shot, a flop, or anytime you have a wedge in your hand makes you feel like he is right there with you.
Pretty neat really!

Thanks Roger!

Roger. Cleveland.

I'd do a whole lot of things if it meant that lesson from last year repeated this year. It would do wonders for my game, I'm sure.

knowing and trusting are different. maybe I'm putting words in somebody's mouth, but when my 7i used to be my 150, and now it's a smooth 8 or hard 9, I know that, but when I have to pull off the shot over water when it matters in a match, that's a trust issue.

Personally, I trust my swing, and the club you put in my hand matters much less. But that's just me.

I'd do a whole lot of things if it meant that lesson from last year repeated this year. It would do wonders for my game, I'm sure.

Personally, I trust my swing, and the club you put in my hand matters much less. But that's just me.
Whoa I definitely do NOT want to discount the equipment. Callaway gave each participant the tour level treatment with a full bag of gear professionally fit for them. It was awesome! The entire event was awesome.

So I'm curious about not being Richard Cranium. Why is this a bullet point? Who were the RC in the past that required this to said. I heard nothing about behavior at the Grandaddy so is this an inside thjng?

So I'm curious about not being Richard Cranium. Why is this a bullet point? Who were the RC in the past that required this to said. I heard nothing about behavior at the Grandaddy so is this an inside thjng?

It has been Harry's rule since before the first event, just don't be a dick.

It was a play on jdtox and his last name. Harry had a field day with poor Jeremy! "Don't be a D--K! Except you Jeremy, you already are!" Or something along those lines. It backfired because Jeremy brought the pain all weekend!

It was a play on jdtox and his last name. Harry had a field day with poor Jeremy! "Don't be a D--K! Except you Jeremy, you already are!" Or something along those lines. It backfired because Jeremy brought the pain all weekend!

It was actually a rule well before that, FWIW, but that is funny.

Whoa I definitely do NOT want to discount the equipment. Callaway gave each participant the tour level treatment with a full bag of gear professionally fit for them. It was awesome! The entire event was awesome.
I certainly didn't mean it to come off that way. What I was saying is that given the quality of equipment we will be playing (I guess assuming we will be playing the Callaway gear like they did last year, which we don't know for sure) and that it will be fit to me by amazing fitters, if you tell me a 9 iron goes 150 yards with my swing, I will trust that to be true and plan accordingly.

Thought about this event during my round today. Just thinking about the courses and thinking of being on the same grounds as call away is just amazing: the fact that there's an opportunity like this continues to blow my mind

It was actually a rule well before that, FWIW, but that is funny.

Yes, absolutely. I remember hearing it during GD1 coverage. Tough to be a dick when hanging with the zoocrew and laughing your butt off all day. Except for Jeremy, he had no choice.

Whenever this thread pops up I get that feeling a kid gets when he thinks about Christmas coming. Ill train myself to a pulp for a chance at this. But I WILL be ready if my number is called, the ZooCrew ain't winning this year.

Adding the buzz of this event is kind of cool. I know with the innaguaral event it was pretty much a sleeper event till the glorious weekend in Southern California. It's awesome to see it continue to grow, and people want to be part of something so special.

Off topic, but this is great advice from a seasoned vet.
Thanks!

I should have put an ***** on that one. I tend to look at things from my perspective when I post here, and in this case, I've been through countless fittings (a lot of stupid ones and a few really good ones) so I know exactly what works and what I game.... But I also see a lot of different equipment between attending events, writing reviews, and being curious when I play.

Hard to remember that some members who will attend play a much more casual version of the game than I do.

Didn't you say he was 85?

Back