Puma Faas Lite Mesh Shoe Review

RonMexico

Reaction score
Handicap
I have been considering the purchase of a spikeless shoe for a while. I just wanted something that I could throw on at home and not have to change into or out of throughout the day. This way if I need to go to run some errands before or after my round or range session I can do it without having to swap out shoes. I also wanted something light since I try to walk the course whenever possible.

After some research, I finally decided on the Puma Faas Lite Mesh in Brilliant Blue/Limeade. The color name makes them sounds a lot brighter than they are, but they definitely still have some flash to them:

2256801-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I ordered a 13 and they fit true to size. They were a little wide in the forefoot area, but I have really narrow feet so this was to be expected. The first thing you notice about these shoes is how incredibly light they are. I would imagine they would compete with some of the lightest running shoes out there in the weight department. In addition, they are extremely flexible and you can almost roll them up into a ball. Even with their minimal structure, they are still very comfortable and don't feel much different than a traditional golf shoe when walking over rocks, sticks, etc. In fact, I actually enjoy the low profile, zero angle sole especially when putting. It almost feels like playing in bare feet.

The one area that took a little getting used to was the lateral support of the shoe. I felt like my front foot tended to roll over more during my follow through than it does with a traditional golf shoe. Because they come up low on the ankle, they just don't feel quite as solid laterally. After some time I got used to this feeling and actually started to like it as it provided feedback when I was sliding too much over my front foot and not making a solid turn at the ball.

If I had one concern going into buying a spikeless shoe, it was that the traction was going to be severely diminished. Having played this in both bone dry/sandy conditions and a quick rain storm, I can tell you that this is not something to be concerned about whatsoever. I was shocked at how well these shoes gripped the turf and have yet to feel any slippage. Will this change down the road as the bottoms start to wear? Maybe - but by that time I'm sure it will be time for a new shoe anyway.

At $89, I honestly don't think these can be beat.

Back