Graphite Iron Shaft Users- Looking for Opinions From Steel Converts

GoIrish17

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I am considering some new irons, and I am really considering giving graphite a try. I have some elbow problems from an old injury, and have been experiencing some wrist pain the last couple seasons (I'm creeping up on 40, the body's not bouncing back like it used to!). I was hoping that the graphite could help in that regard, and I figured there were some guys out there who have made the switch in the last couple years since graphite has made some advances and become more mainstream. I am looking mainly at the heavier Recoils and SteelFibers, the 95-110 range, to keep weight consistent with what I am used to. I am a swinger of the club, with a slightly late release. Pretty athletic, former college baseball and football player, 100 normal driver swing, 107 when I go after it. This past season, I gamed a set of Apex Pros with Project X PXi 6.0's straight in, and liked them very much. I really liked the lighter weight while keeping a somewhat lower ball flight, but I'm not sure the consistency was there. I'm considering 714 AP2's, and going between Modus 3 120 X SSx1, and either the Recoils or SteelFibers. I am not going to participate much in this conversation, as I'd really be interested to hear from long time steel users who have made the switch and opinions rather than discuss them . Looking for feedback from players who have made the switch for reasons other than needing more speed. I'm most concerned with how consistent the graphite is versus steel and how the feel compares. What did you like about graphite vs. steel, and what didn't you like? Have you stuck with graphite or gone back to steel? More looking for feedback and opinions than anything else, not looking to be fitted. Thanks guys!

I am a graphite convert and find graphite to be as or more consistent than steel. I had no issues dropping some weight as the same time. Several good options out there now too. I am a fan of the Programs, Kuro Kage, and the Recoils. My swing speed is maybe a few MPH slower than yours but not by much.

I absolutely love the 110 aerotechs, great feel and very reliable though the set

I have a feeling I'm going to be an outlier here, but I gave up on my short lived graphite iron shaft experiment. After breaking my left wrist in June, I bought a set of irons with Recoil 110 F4 shafts (which were actually heavier than the steel shafts I was gaming--Ping CFS). Returning from my injury, I had much less pain than I anticipated and really swung the club pretty well--with the exception of my irons. I don't know if I developed a mental block or what, but I just couldn't find any consistency with them at all.

When I went through my fitting at the Grandaddy, we started with Recoil, moved to Aerotech SteelFibers, and then on to steel where I ended up. It STILL may have been mental, and I STILL may have been compensating with my swing some, but they just didn't seem to work for me at all...at the current state of my swing.

So...only one way to find out. Go hit them and see.

I have a feeling I'm going to be an outlier here, but I gave up on my short lived graphite iron shaft experiment. After breaking my left wrist in June, I bought a set of irons with Recoil 110 F4 shafts (which were actually heavier than the steel shafts I was gaming--Ping CFS). Returning from my injury, I had much less pain than I anticipated and really swung the club pretty well--with the exception of my irons. I don't know if I developed a mental block or what, but I just couldn't find any consistency with them at all.

When I went through my fitting at the Grandaddy, we started with Recoil, moved to Aerotech SteelFibers, and then on to steel where I ended up. It STILL may have been mental, and I STILL may have been compensating with my swing some, but they just didn't seem to work for me at all...at the current state of my swing.

So...only one way to find out. Go hit them and see.

Thanks, this (and the others responding to this thread) is exactly the feedback I'm looking for. I've never used graphite in an iron before, and was looking for feedback from others in a similar situation- good, bad, or ugly. I will certainly hit the shafts before investing that much money in a set of irons, but I really didn't want to waste time on graphite if it's not worth it- I only have so many good swings in me for a fitting in February!

Do you think that going with a heavier graphite shaft might have played as big a role as any in your experience? I see in your sig that you have s300 in your Apex now- is that what you went with coming from the Recoils? I know it would throw me off making approx. a 20g change in my shafts, regardless of swingweighting. I personally think, if I do give graphite a try, I'll probably stay in the 110g range like the PXi's, the Recoil 110 & SteelFiber 110 seem to be the best place for me to start with them. I really wouldn't want to change the swing feel any with a noticeably heavier or lighter shaft. Consistency and feel are the two things I fear sacrificing the most. And, the ability to flight iron shots high or low. I play knockdown shots into greens quite a bit from 140 yards in, I'd hate to fight my equipment in that part of my game. I think my biggest worry is that I'll notice more of a drop off in control for when I really "go after" an iron shot rather than take my normal 80% swing, with regards to graphite shafts. I'm afraid that I might get a little gun shy in that part of my game and I'd remove the shot from consideration altogether.

I am a graphite convert and find graphite to be as or more consistent than steel. I had no issues dropping some weight as the same time. Several good options out there now too. I am a fan of the Programs, Kuro Kage, and the Recoils. My swing speed is maybe a few MPH slower than yours but not by much.

Im a convert. Did the exact same thing as Howzat.

I used a set of Apex with Recoils for a while and frankly wouldn't have known they weren't steel just from using them... except I wasn't in as much discomfort after a round. We're similar in age and SS, and frankly kind of regretting I didn't go graphite on my current irons, and I can guarantee my next set will (or I might even look at getting these reshafted).

Im a convert. Did the exact same thing as Howzat.

JB, which Recoil are you using, and what did you switch from? I'm assuming by "did the same thing as Howzat", you mean going down in weight (I'm assuming Howzat didn't mean he personally lost some weight because of the change, lol)... did you notice any differences you can attribute to the shaft change, good or bad? And, what differences would you attribute to the change in material rather than a change in shaft profile/ weight? I personally would like to find something similar in profile to the PXi if I switch to graphite, the main reason for the switch would be to help physically. And, if consistency and feel remain at least the same, then win-win.

JB, which Recoil are you using, and what did you switch from? I'm assuming by "did the same thing as Howzat", you mean going down in weight (I'm assuming Howzat didn't mean he personally lost some weight because of the change, lol)... did you notice any differences you can attribute to the shaft change, good or bad? And, what differences would you attribute to the change in material rather than a change in shaft profile/ weight? I personally would like to find something similar in profile to the PXi if I switch to graphite, the main reason for the switch would be to help physically. And, if consistency and feel remain at least the same, then win-win.

Playing the stock graphite that come in the irons.
Went from KBS Tour to much lighter shafts.
I have not had ANY issue with consistency, but have far less wrist and elbow pain after rounds.
Watch a couple of the THP TV episodes from the show on graphite shafts. I think you will find a few about graphite and weight that dispell a few myths out there.

The idea that consistency is less with graphite is a misnomer. There are guys winning at the highest level with graphite iron shafts.

I used a set of Apex with Recoils for a while and frankly wouldn't have known they weren't steel just from using them... except I wasn't in as much discomfort after a round. We're similar in age and SS, and frankly kind of regretting I didn't go graphite on my current irons, and I can guarantee my next set will (or I might even look at getting these reshafted).

This is a very interesting take, from my perspective, especially your last comment. What pain are you experiencing now? I am curious how much graphite would even help my elbow injury, and I sometimes wonder if the sore wrists are a byproduct of babying the elbow. I tore a couple of ligaments in my left elbow, and have been putting off Tommy John surgery for two seasons, but I think this coming winter it's going to have to be done. I am really curious how much, if any, difference I would see in graphite with an injury like that. I know that when I finally do have surgery, it's going to be a slow road back (if I can ever even get back to pre-injury, considering my age), and graphite might be a wise decision long-term. Which is why I'm considering it now.

I went to SteelFibers I95 last year from Nippon 950s (which I really liked )

I only got about 5 or 6 rounds in with them. I'm more of a hitter vs swinger sand only have a low 80's swing speed with a 7 iron.

But I found them quite comfortable, very stable and probably lower launching them the Nippons (also could be the TMAG CB head vs the R9's the Nippons were in.

Playing the stock graphite that come in the irons.
Went from KBS Tour to much lighter shafts.
I have not had ANY issue with consistency, but have far less wrist and elbow pain after rounds.
Watch a couple of the THP TV episodes from the show on graphite shafts. I think you will find a few about graphite and weight that dispell a few myths out there.

The idea that consistency is less with graphite is a misnomer. There are guys winning at the highest level with graphite iron shafts.

JB, could you possibly link the THP TV episode you're referring to, or at least point me in the right direction to find it myself? For some reason, I am terrible at searching for past subjects, apparently... everytime I start a thread someone points out that there's already reviews and whatnot, but never points me to where I can find them. Just for my future education, so I can save people the trouble of pointing out my redundancy.

Im mobile, so not able to at this time, but it would be in the shaft section of the forum. Lots of good videos on the subject in that section actually.

So, I am considering some new irons, and I am really considering giving graphite a try. I have some elbow problems from an old injury, and have been experiencing some wrist pain the last couple seasons (I'm creeping up on 40, the body's not bouncing back like it used to!). I was hoping that the graphite could help in that regard, and I figured there were some guys out there who have made the switch in the last couple years since graphite has made some advances and become more mainstream. I am looking mainly at the heavier Recoils and SteelFibers, the 95-110 range, to keep weight consistent with what I am used to. I am a swinger of the club, with a slightly late release. Pretty athletic, former college baseball and football player, 100 normal driver swing, 107 when I go after it. This past season, I gamed a set of Apex Pros with Project X PXi 6.0's straight in, and liked them very much. I really liked the lighter weight while keeping a somewhat lower ball flight, but I'm not sure the consistency was there. I'm considering 714 AP2's, and going between Modus 3 120 X SSx1, and either the Recoils or SteelFibers. I am not going to participate much in this conversation, as I'd really be interested to hear from long time steel users who have made the switch and opinions rather than discuss them . Looking for feedback from players who have made the switch for reasons other than needing more speed. I'm most concerned with how consistent the graphite is versus steel and how the feel compares. What did you like about graphite vs. steel, and what didn't you like? Have you stuck with graphite or gone back to steel? More looking for feedback and opinions than anything else, not looking to be fitted. Thanks guys!

I went graphite for much of the same reasons you did. I went through a fitting and ended up with the Recoil 95/F3 & have not been happier. I was coming from a KBS Tour 90S shaft and the difference I felt after the round was incredible.

UST and others are making what I call the "next gen" graphite shafts, you will not miss any benefits you think you might have with steel and your body/joints will thank you for it.

Last edited:
I went to SteelFibers I95 last year from Nippon 950s (which I really liked )

I only got about 5 or 6 rounds in with them. I'm more of a hitter vs swinger sand only have a low 80's swing speed with a 7 iron.

But I found them quite comfortable, very stable and probably lower launching them the Nippons (also could be the TMAG CB head vs the R9's the Nippons were in.

I thank you for your response, but I'm not sure I follow.. for clarity- you switched from Nippon 950's to SteelFiber 95's, but have only played them 5 or 6 times? Or you played them 5 or 6 times and got rid of them? I'm assuming the former, judging by your sig. Would you say that the SteelFibers launched lower than the Nippons due to the bend profile of the shaft, or the material they are made out of? I know the weights of the two are very similar, I'm just curious if the launch results were because the Nippons are a mid-high launching shaft and they're designed to launch a little higher than the SteelFibers are intended to.

JB, could you possibly link the THP TV episode you're referring to, or at least point me in the right direction to find it myself? For some reason, I am terrible at searching for past subjects, apparently... everytime I start a thread someone points out that there's already reviews and whatnot, but never points me to where I can find them. Just for my future education, so I can save people the trouble of pointing out my redundancy.

This is one I. Know there is one with KBS as well I'm pretty sure.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67191

This is a very interesting take, from my perspective, especially your last comment. What pain are you experiencing now? I am curious how much graphite would even help my elbow injury, and I sometimes wonder if the sore wrists are a byproduct of babying the elbow. I tore a couple of ligaments in my left elbow, and have been putting off Tommy John surgery for two seasons, but I think this coming winter it's going to have to be done. I am really curious how much, if any, difference I would see in graphite with an injury like that. I know that when I finally do have surgery, it's going to be a slow road back (if I can ever even get back to pre-injury, considering my age), and graphite might be a wise decision long-term. Which is why I'm considering it now.

Let's put it this way. I had a stress fracture in my right hand. Pain hurt so much that I couldn't make contact with a ball or it would just shoot up my arm. I was fortunate enough to get a good deal off some Apex Irons with recoils that we literally the only thing that allowed me to play on a corporate Hawaii trip I was on. Once my hand got better, it was a financial decision on which clubs I could resell for more, and I got rid of them...and I do regret it. Then I compounded the issue by getting steel in my current irons, which I love the irons...but ultimately I went with the steel because there was no where around me where i had the option to actually test my irons with other shaft options, and I'm leery of buying clubs i can't actually hit ahead of time. But if/when I do end up with a new set of clubs, I will make the effort to get graphite, even if it means i need to drive down to NC to find a reputable fitter with options.

My last 4 iron sets: 2008 Callaway BB with stock uniflex, RocketBladez with RocketFuel shafts, Bridgestone DPC's with PXi 5.5, Ping i25's with the stock TFC graphite shafts.

I sometimes think the TFC's feel a little bit like the RocketFuel shafts - just a solid lighter weight shaft option. I have never once felt they weren't consistent or reliable or that I couldn't step on a swing if I needed to. The biggest difference I notice is that my body feels better and I have gained a little SS (7i = 87mph; driver is @100mph). I am not necessarily in a camp that says I'd never go back to steel; its more that they are good enough that I don't even think about them being graphite and there's no reason to move on to anything else.

IMO the most important is to demo as many as possible, there is a pretty big difference in the way they feel. At least that was my experience, and what works for one person might not work for you.

For example the Recoils did not feel good to me at all but others love them, the Aerotechs just fit my swing better and I tried just about all of them from the most expensive on down and was prepared to get what fit the best. I only have a couple of rounds with them but no wrist or elbow pain at all after playing.

I am about two months into my first ever go around with graphite shafts in irons (Recoil 95 F4 iron set, Recoil 110 F4 wedges). As others have said, I really don't tell much of a difference from steel at all except that the arthritis in my upper left arm no longer flares up about the 13th hole. Just as stable as any steel shaft I have ever played. I went to lightweight steel two iron sets ago so the weight of the Recoils is consistent with my last two shafts (Nippon 950 and TT GS95).

I think recoils are fantastic shafts. Benefits of graphite super stable shaft great ball flight etc. I did not think the aero techs were bad shafts but I see none of the benefits of graphite with them, you might as well play a Nippon, a "softer steel" shaft and save money. The arerotechs to me are a steel shaft, one that is pretty stout. For a older golfer suffering from joint pain this seems to me the worst choice

I think recoils are fantastic shafts. Benefits of graphite super stable shaft great ball flight etc. I did not think the aero techs were bad shafts but I see none of the benefits of graphite with them, you might as well play a Nippon, a "softer steel" shaft and save money. The arerotechs to me are a steel shaft, one that is pretty stout. For a older golfer suffering from joint pain this seems to me the worst choice

I'm not sure how stout a shaft feels, graphite or steel, holds any bearing on how much vibration is transmitted through it. I do have to believe that a shaft made of graphite is going to transmit much less of these unpleasant vibrations than steel would, though. So, you are saying that the SteelFibers are less comfortable to play than a steel shaft? I'd like to hear any other's opinions of this post, as well. I would like to say that I disagree with a lot of it, in theory/ principle, but I don't have the experience or knowledge to do so.

I'm going to be honest. I had a set of clubs just like the ones I own now except they had graphite shafts . Long story made short, my current ones have the GS95 shafts snd they feel just like the graphites did except for a bit more control. Don't rule out the lighter steel shafts unless you have the higher swing speeds .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think that going with a heavier graphite shaft might have played as big a role as any in your experience? I see in your sig that you have s300 in your Apex now- is that what you went with coming from the Recoils? I know it would throw me off making approx. a 20g change in my shafts, regardless of swingweighting. I personally think, if I do give graphite a try, I'll probably stay in the 110g range like the PXi's, the Recoil 110 & SteelFiber 110 seem to be the best place for me to start with them. I really wouldn't want to change the swing feel any with a noticeably heavier or lighter shaft. Consistency and feel are the two things I fear sacrificing the most. And, the ability to flight iron shots high or low. I play knockdown shots into greens quite a bit from 140 yards in, I'd hate to fight my equipment in that part of my game. I think my biggest worry is that I'll notice more of a drop off in control for when I really "go after" an iron shot rather than take my normal 80% swing, with regards to graphite shafts. I'm afraid that I might get a little gun shy in that part of my game and I'd remove the shot from consideration altogether.

I really don't think weight had anything to do with it. I played 99 gram Ping CFS shafts, then was selected for TaylorMade SpeedBlade testing with stock 85 gram steel shafts and made that transition (and back and forth) without issue. During my Grandaddy fitting, I simply told the fitter that I was playing the Apex with Recoils and that "I just didn't seem to connect with them." That makes no sense, and didn't help him at all, so he simply said "ok, lets get some numbers." I didn't pay much attention to such numbers, but the transition I made was Recoil - Steelfiber - KBS C-Taper - DG S300s which is where I ended up. I still have my Apex/Recoil combo, and due to a mixup in California (my fault) I did not get an AW with my new set. So in the meantime I put the Apex/Recoil AW in my bag...and literally could not hit it. I'm sure there's some mental block issues there as well, but for me, they just...didn't work. For MANY others, they are great.

Back