Cobra FLY-Z+ Driver Preview

Looking forward to spending some time with this one on Saturday.

Interested to hear your thoughts and comparing to the 815. I've enjoyed the Cobra drivers and this one is intriguing.

Interested to hear your thoughts and comparing to the 815. I've enjoyed the Cobra drivers and this one is intriguing.

It will be fun to get some hard numbers. Going to take my BiO Cell+ as well to compare. Based on the course results my 815 is a better fit but I want to see what flightscope has to say about it.

I'm looking forward to it in 3 Saturdays. Very very much looking forward to hearing all about it straight from TO.

It will be fun to get some hard numbers. Going to take my BiO Cell+ as well to compare. Based on the course results my 815 is a better fit but I want to see what flightscope has to say about it.

Interested in how spin compares. The E9 face should be awesome in terms of forgiveness/ball speed retention. The spin is the interesting part.

I'm looking forward to it in 3 Saturdays. Very very much looking forward to hearing all about it straight from TO.

That is going to be a lot of fun and likely info overload which is awesome.

Interested in how spin compares. The E9 face should be awesome in terms of forgiveness/ball speed retention. The spin is the interesting part.

Most are going to find the Fly-Z more forgiving than the + regardless of where weight is positioned. The + will spin a bit lower however.

Just wondering what "didn't work" with the FlyZ+

No doubt it was my LOFT (lack of freakin' talent). I am attempting to improve the quality of my strike and speed. I could not do anything with it, and it was too much driver for my swing. Did not get a solid hit as it felt "hollow."

I enjoyed the FlyZ, although if I went from my current driver brand, it would take time. I was switching drivers between Callaway and Cobra, and I finally started getting decent numbers with the FlyZ, would try the FlyZ+, get nothing from it, and move on, then move back. In the middle of lessons, I need more of a game improvement driver.

Nice looking stick. Enjoy it.

Now that my swing is coming around and driver confidence is growing want to get my hands on these again...just a couple weeks until LIITA.

Birthday is coming up and I am swapping out some older heads into my existing shafts (1,3,5,7).
I am very interested in this driver, however I am killing my DBD (Fujikura F3 60x @ 46.25, 1g/3g heal) 280-300y right now. I was looking at the XR head to see if that would get me a bigger sweet spot for the odd miss during the round, until hearing the good reports about this head.

I am a x flex player (104-108ss/low 2k spin #'s), usually with low mid launch due to the fact I play the ball back a tad and load hard to impact de-lofting the strike, and hit center to low on the face (my miss), I usually plays at 10.5 deg lofts...
What stock shaft in X have you had success with Fly Z+ head... I am thinking the Tour Blue X, however whats the Matrix VLCT like in X. Can any of you comment on this...Thanks

Spent some quality time with the Fly z+ today (11* neutral, weight forward, and the stock shaft in x) I didn't realize they put in the x shaft until after I hit a bunch of great shots with it. Really stable, solid, and a joy to hit. No numbers because it was just on the range, but the distance seemed good, and solid, but high flight. A couple of small pushes and hooks after I discovered that it was x flex and starting swinging harder, weird how that affects your mind, since I was hitting it great at first. Settled down and hit a bunch more good ones. I imagine, if I had numbers to compare, that I would probably be losing some distance with the x, but I did like the stability. I'll have to do a head to head between this and the G30 ls tec, because they are easily the best drivers I have hit so far this year.

Today I tested the Cally XR, Fly-Z+ against my DBD in two stores. The first store Edwin Watts had a antiquated launch monitor that really only gave minimal data, second was GS.
My goal is to get longer distance period nutting it, with concern to 'slight to moderate' off center hits ...were talking 3/4 inch max!, but good swings

First was XR the face felt firm like my DBD, distance was very similar, as well as the peak height. The miss hits were better, the head was 12* open 1* (10.5 dbd was +1 / n).
The XR framed the impact zone to inside center from the crown graphics...my eye noticed this. It was shafted with the 6.0. For being a larger cc head I was expecting a G30 type honey sweet spot...well NO! it was firm, giving less feel of sweet spot when you did not hit dead center...if you know what I mean. It was more forgiving but still felt hard...like my old Adams XTD Ti a bit. The fitter said stick with your DBD it spins lower

Next was the Fly Z+ @ 45 (not 46) at stiff in a matrix shaft. set at 10 deg/weight back. I got the bigger drives by 5y and equal distance on slight mishits. the impact felt like a forged to cast difference, the feel was softer and the miss hits felt almost like center hits, pushes seemed to fly straighter on line than leaking more. Its now about Launch Angle.

Next I go to GS and start wacking my DBD, a Fly Z+ in X matrix, Nike Vapor/ speeder 757 x (non TS), Aeroburner 9.5 white tie x tp.
I hit 280, 290, & 295, 297, 303, 300 all out with Fly z+ 14.5 launch 1600 spin. I have always been a low spin number with drivers around 2k, but never 1600 with approx 14 deg launch. The balls were srixon range balls not my XV's which fly better. The fitter at GS is a X college player and knows his stuff and equipment.
The Fly-Z+'s nutted shots go further period, and miss hits are very hot. At this point the fitter asks me to take the club outside on the back swing to tame my draw (I do this with irons to hit fades so its easy) and I start hitting straight lasers, from there we work on some fades looping the club like Jim Fyrik! The Fly Z+ is clearly longer, I am swinging it fuller and better being shorter length, and the miss hits are very good, better than my DBD, and XR!. With my dbd & XR I might have to hit 2-3 shots to nut it... Vs 1-2 with Fly Z+ to get my attention that that was a number to chalk up a comparison with

Next a Major league ball player / pitcher steps up with 118/121 ss and some staff flock around to see this athletic move...Wow!. he is hitting the Nike Vapor/757 300 at first then 310y...nice!, as well as the Fly Z+ the same, then he hits a FlyZ+ 322y (1 inch shorter!). I see that his best drive was 326y with Flyz+ and all his strikes overall were better with FlyZ+ especially on dead center. From there he hits a 915 D3 / 110msi Rogue X 330y however the shaft was more solid for his swing transfering more kahoones to the ball and he was swinging it harder too, but not getting much more for distance was my observation for the effort

I will say the flyz+ matrix x shaft torque feels loose twisting the head and grip...only on course drives will prove dispersion/Traj Vs LM

I did like the high launch of the 9.5 Aeroburner TP but was hooking it!...with a better shaft suited to me this could be very good too, so its not out of my interest, but kudos to Fly Z+ for out slightly numbering the others at 1 inch shorter! To me the FlyZ+ feels like a driver you can crush with confidence on the back 9

Other clubs that pick up my interest were the Aeroburner 16.5 HL looks like a good loft to hit greens, with a speed channel that can catch thin shots well, then the Cally XR 3 deep pro 14, the head looks small/nice to hit off the FW but not sure how it would launch off the deck, hopefully higher than my Ping G30 14, the new Mizuno mp-t5 58-08 wedge has a nice grind

Last edited:
Hit this several times during the #LiveDriverTesting, today. Tried it with the weight forward, and re-confirmed that's not a good fit for me. Slid the weight back, and it was like a completely different club. Sound is excellent, and the pairing with the Matrix shaft is really good. Good mid-high flight that I prefer, and had plenty of forgiveness for my swing.

Also saw this work really well for SHIFTY. He was really enjoying the FlyZ XL, but gave the + a try... Best distance and dispersion I saw from him during our round together. You better go ahead and buy one, bud - such good results for you.

The Fly zed plus and I will spend some time together this year!

I still really need to hit this one too.

I have had a Fly Z+ for a couple of weeks now and absolutely love it! It is very controllable and the distance is great. My swing speed is in the 100-105 range, so I am not a really long hitter. I played 9 with my daughter last night and hit a strong fade on a 525 yd par 5 and was left with just over 200 to the green. I have never hit that green in two! I hit a good 5 wood and was over! I am hitting more fairways than ever! I love hitting shorter irons off of the fairway into greens! I wasn't considering Cobra at all until the fitter put one in my hands.

Got the Fly-Z+ Driver from Terry out local Cobra Rep yesterday. Bill brought it over to North Palm Beach Country Club and off we went to #1.
So I guess it better preform right out of the bag never been hit before, pull the plastic off, peel the stickers off, weight back, set to 10.5 (X flex stock vclt)and tee it up with players all waiting to get back on the course after a rain shower...Jheez...just swing thru it like Rickie...right?!

Bam its out there in a low trajectory BOMB that hits a up-slope next to a bunker positioned in the middle of the FW, so it killed the first bounce a bit, but was 282y. The feel at impact was soft / solid with a nice 'thwack' sound, and I got the feeling the head wants to be cranked with a little bit extra. The feeling at impact is what I like about this driver, it feels like the difference from say...mizuno forged to cast in irons, its a superior softer feeling instilling confidence at impact

I keep launching low/medium traj bombs that seem to fly lower like a 9.5, the shaft feels like its N1 to target or I can feel it load like a stiff-stiff+ flex, not a x flex. Twisting the head and grip apart I feel it has a bit of torque give. I know its a 4 deg torgue shaft so its not as tight as some Fujikura's that I swing. Shafts like this usually spray balls with me. I am finding its very forgiving on miss hits, soaking up any head twisting on toe shots. I should feel a jerk in my hands, and a solid feeling of a miss hit...No the head/shaft 'soaks up' the miss and ball speed is not down much with a push to right FW but still long.

I keep bombing low straight ropes & baby draws hole after hole. Some drives I know my DBD would NOT accept these swings so well, however the Fly-z+ is a lot better being a 455cc Vs 440cc. The point n shoot ability is easier than my DBD and I am swinging harder through the ball with confidence.

Bill said I did not miss one drive... (well #2 was right rough trying to power fade it around a corner deliberately with a not so usual square setup...and it should have been OB). but other than that it was FW after FW Looong!

Both my wife & Bill said don't change a thing!. I was cutting doglegs over water etc, fear full stuff to some golfers...ha this thing sure grows Kahoones on your confidence, and was setting up many great birdie approach shots, actually from the blue tee's I was eating the course up too easy leaving me short iron / wedge shots in. I am getting good roll

At 45 I found the driver very controllable delivering say 46' like distances low/mid bullet straight,

I got the blue head...what a lovely paint job, it has a pearl, like little stars glistening in the sun...super awesome, I had to back off a drive as I was gazing at it

I will add to this post later when I get my score card and deduct some of my approach yardages to post my driving distances
-------------
update:
They were on 'straight holes' 310y, 290, 270, 285, 305. The 310&305 were downwind (10mph), 290 side wind, 270 into wind uphill!...all low traj
Today I will get my bushnell and pace off a tree at the tee box then laser back to it and get it to the exact, also I may click to 11.5 as I want the launch up more, at the house on the hardwood floor it looks smidgin open, also the 10.5 looks the same or very square. I have been setting up open a tad to negate my draw. Most clubs that I manipulate open at address never sit quite right in terms of sitting there on the grass without moving. Fly-z+ sits good. I was worried about this head not having a open setting, but its working fine and natural.
Also my buddy Bill was stoked at my driving performance and is at GS today honing his LM numbers with Cobra...
I will order some tips and start testing some shafts soon

My advise is to look at your budget and make this driver purchase HAPPEN!!! it will drop 2-3 strokes per round, and if you sink the putts that it set up by shortened approach shots then you could have your best round ever!...Just get fitted

Last edited:
You may want to consider using GPS. Deduct approach distances left is definitely not accurate to determine driving distance.

I've had my Fly Z+ for a couple months now and although I like it, I don't love the stock matrix shaft. It is long and forgiving but no more so than my Callaway X2 Hot, Taylormade Jetspeed, or a half a dozen other drivers that I have. I took 4 of my favorite drivers to the range over the weekend for some extensive comparison and wound up putting my old Bridgestone J33R with Diamana x flex Blueboard back in my bag. It's a little less forgiving than most of my other drivers but it's certainly straighter and also longer because of more roll out. My point is that there are many drivers that work great but finding that magic head/shaft combination that works best for your swing is part science, part art, and part luck to actually find the right combo. I'm going to experiment with a couple different shafts to see if I can configure the Fly Z+ so I actually love it.

I've had my Fly Z+ for a couple months now and although I like it, I don't love the stock matrix shaft. It is long and forgiving but no more so than my Callaway X2 Hot, Taylormade Jetspeed, or a half a dozen other drivers that I have. I took 4 of my favorite drivers to the range over the weekend for some extensive comparison and wound up putting my old Bridgestone J33R with Diamana x flex Blueboard back in my bag. It's a little less forgiving than most of my other drivers but it's certainly straighter and also longer because of more roll out. My point is that there are many drivers that work great but finding that magic head/shaft combination that works best for your swing is part science, part art, and part luck to actually find the right combo. I'm going to experiment with a couple different shafts to see if I can configure the Fly Z+ so I actually love it.
Funny how different things are for different folks. I have hit the + with the stock x shaft a bunch of times now and really like it. I could even love it if the numbers are right. I don't have any numbers on it yet, but it seems to be a little better than my current driver. A head to head is a must before buying though. Plus I still have to compare it against the g30 ls tec, and r15, among others.

Cobra offers free shaft upgrades for those who'd prefer them -- Aldila Tour Blue, Green, Matrix White Tie etc...

Dave

Hoping to get some time with this next weekend. I'm thinking 10.5 head, weight back with tour green or blue.

Getting used to the stock shaft VCLT X flex, and I can say the flex really feels like a S+/tour stiff, I am launching low for the head loft. I have tried 9.5, 10.5, 11.5 and still a launch that is low to med.
I find if I smooth it I get the launch up more. Basically the shaft is loading more than it should for my swing and I feel its de-lofting. I am still getting my straight to draw shots and big distance. The feel is soft to muted with this forged head / shaft combo. I feel I need 1/2 a flex stiffer and lower torque.

I just installed a Fujikura Speeder 7.1x at about 45'. This shaft I have played before, and know it transmits beef to the ball, and is much stiffer in profile. I set it at 10.5 and set it open during the epoxy setting with the bit of slight wiggle room in the shaft/hosel when setting...basically I hold the head and shaft and tweek/flex it into a face angle that sits open till it cures...
I will be back with more info...if I would buy again perhaps the Aldila tour blue or green shaft

I have the stock Matrix VLCT X flex shaft cut to 44.5" and hit it medium high. I haven't been hitting the driver well this year until a few days ago when I fixed my driver set up and alignment. I have the weight forward and now I am killing this Fly Z+ !! Very forgiving and as long as any driver I've owned.

Last edited:
I have the stock Matrix VLCT X flex shaft cut to 45.5" and hit it medium high. I haven't been hitting the driver well this year until a few days ago when I fixed my driver set up and alignment. I have the weight forward and now I am killing this Fly Z+ !! Very forgiving and as long as any driver I've owned.
Love hearing this! This one else still very much on my mind after the testing in MN.

Back