Callaway XR Pro Driver Preview

Anyone playing this?

I spent some time with it and I couldn't find any real valid case where it would be an improvement over the standard XR driver. Spin was a but lower but I lost the forgiveness offered by the XR.

Anyone playing this?

Been reading the forum forever, registered just to talk about this driver. It's incredible.

I've had it for a month after an extensive fitting. It's not the longest driver I hit during that, but it was the second longest and by far the most consistent, with low spin. I'm happy to talk about trackman numbers if anyone really wants, otherwise I'll skip it for now. I ended up with the stock shaft and 9* set to closed (so playing as 10* I think). Up until this point, I have had an incredibly high ball flight and hit my driver ~260-270 average, with a fade if I'm lucky and a slice if I'm not (which was about 1/3 of the time). I FINALLY got outside this last 2 weeks and have played 3 rounds.

It's the best money I've ever spent on golf equipment. Most importantly I did not hit a single slice; I hit dead straight most of the time, with a slight draw a handful of times and a slight fade once or twice. It's a lower ball flight than I'm used to but it hasn't been a problem. The distance is incredible. My average has been around 290. I drove 3 par 4s today, one 270yds uphill into a 20mph wind, one 334 with the same wind, and one 293 with a cross-wind. 3 birdies help the score when you're the caliber golfer I am. If I can start hitting my irons well I'll be dangerously close to being a decent golfer.

I spent some time with it and I couldn't find any real valid case where it would be an improvement over the standard XR driver. Spin was a but lower but I lost the forgiveness offered by the XR.

Fup - did you just hit this or did you pick one up? If you picked one up, would you be interested in unloading it? I really probably shouldn't even be thinking about this, but I told Hashtag that I'm a big fan of the X2 Hot Pro, he said I had to try this one. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to ask to hit his at the range on Sunday morning.

Fup - did you just hit this or did you pick one up? If you picked one up, would you be interested in unloading it? I really probably shouldn't even be thinking about this, but I told Hashtag that I'm a big fan of the X2 Hot Pro, he said I had to try this one. Unfortunately, I wasn't smart enough to ask to hit his at the range on Sunday morning.

Nope. Just time in a simulator and outside at the local store by me.

I haven't purchased a new club in a while, since I don't get to play much since my move to NYC, but I recently picked up the XR Pro to replace my aged Titleist 909.

I got it in the 9 degrees with the stock shaft at 6.0 stiffness.

I tried the R15, 915 and the Alpha and none of them were near as long. According to the launch monitor I have about a 108~112MPH swing speed and I was hitting these with a ball speed about 158~160mph with a launch of 12~12.5 degrees and a carry of 285~290 yards. Spin rate was a phenomenal 1800-2200 rpms. I tried some shots at 10 degrees loft and the results were similar. The R15 was about 8~10 yards shorter and the 915 was probably 15 yards shorter. The club feels so hot off the face, it's unbelievable.

Also, I much preferred the stock shaft compared to the Rogue Silver and Black for feel. I hit the ball pretty squarely most of the time so the 46" length seems to be okay for me. Very, very pleased with the club. When I was purchasing clubs 4 years ago, Callaway was very low on the list, but I had heard good things and tried this out and was not disappointed.

I went back and tried the XR Pro hybrids as well. The 20 degree was almost as long and softer than my current 17 degree Titleist. I'll have to consider upgrading my hybrid sometime as well.

I haven't purchased a new club in a while, since I don't get to play much since my move to NYC, but I recently picked up the XR Pro to replace my aged Titleist 909.

I got it in the 9 degrees with the stock shaft at 6.0 stiffness.

I tried the R15, 915 and the Alpha and none of them were near as long. According to the launch monitor I have about a 108~112MPH swing speed and I was hitting these with a ball speed about 158~160mph with a launch of 12~12.5 degrees and a carry of 285~290 yards. Spin rate was a phenomenal 1800-2200 rpms. I tried some shots at 10 degrees loft and the results were similar. The R15 was about 8~10 yards shorter and the 915 was probably 15 yards shorter. The club feels so hot off the face, it's unbelievable.

Also, I much preferred the stock shaft compared to the Rogue Silver and Black for feel. I hit the ball pretty squarely most of the time so the 46" length seems to be okay for me. Very, very pleased with the club. When I was purchasing clubs 4 years ago, Callaway was very low on the list, but I had heard good things and tried this out and was not disappointed.

I went back and tried the XR Pro hybrids as well. The 20 degree was almost as long and softer than my current 17 degree Titleist. I'll have to consider upgrading my hybrid sometime as well.

Welcome to THP! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the XR Pro as you spend more time with it. This one is definitely on my radar and it doesn't seem like many people are playing it.

Welcome to THP! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the XR Pro as you spend more time with it. This one is definitely on my radar and it doesn't seem like many people are playing it.

Thought I'd post an update. I've had about 6 rounds with this driver and I love it. The shaft was starting to feel a little long the more I played with it as I'm only 5'10" but I'm choking down on all my clubs about an inch these days for better ball striking and control. I don't seem to be losing distance.

The distance gained from my 909D2 seems to be about 10 yards to so, not as dramatic as on the launch monitor. I'm fine with that, I already hit it about 290~300. However, sometimes I get it with lower spin that I can see this thing taking a big bounce/roll from the landing spot.

This club seems to be made for me. It flies straight and is surprisingly easy to work with. I had some doubts about the club so I went back to the shop and tried the Alpha Double Diamon, R15 and 915D2 again and on the monitor the XR Pro was easily the better fit. I like the shaft and the sound it makes on impact as well.

One thing I've noticed and my friend noticed on his Callaway hybrid is that the hosel of the club, below the adjustable pieces seems to have dropped a bit onto the shaft. I had this happen a bit with my Titleist 910F fairway so I don't know if this just happens on these adjustable clubs.

Likely going to buy the XR Pro hybrid sometime in the next few weeks.

I kinda really want to hit this for some reason all of the sudden.

Just to say I did maybe?

Thanks to the badass that is Kang, I'm going to get to tinker with one of these heads for a bit, totally just for grins and to add it to my list of drivers I've spent time with. Will be really interesting to get the numbers off of it, I'm betting low and low, hahahahah

Thanks to the badass that is Kang, I'm going to get to tinker with one of these heads for a bit, totally just for grins and to add it to my list of drivers I've spent time with. Will be really interesting to get the numbers off of it, I'm betting low and low, hahahahah
It's definitely lower launching than xr. That's for sure :)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Jman. I'm still really intrigued by this one.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, Jman. I'm still really intrigued by this one.
Im sure I've got no business hitting it, but I want to anyways hahaha

Hit one again today playing with a 3wood shaft 60g fujikura 60gx weighted to like C3 was a monster and felt super solid as well, mid boring piercing trajectory all day

Yeah, that's deep.
6ed9be1640b50f6e95243c3bfdfbedca.jpg

James I want to know how that head does with reign black :)

James I want to know how that head does with reign black :)

LOL! How'd I know you'd be curious about that?

Its going to get plugged in there today on the monitor, it and the LZ HC, I'm kinda antsy/anxious to be honest.

Such a damn good looking head.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd suggest checking out the XR Pro fairways woods... You'll be quite happy you did.

Thought I'd post an update. I've had about 6 rounds with this driver and I love it. The shaft was starting to feel a little long the more I played with it as I'm only 5'10" but I'm choking down on all my clubs about an inch these days for better ball striking and control. I don't seem to be losing distance.

The distance gained from my 909D2 seems to be about 10 yards to so, not as dramatic as on the launch monitor. I'm fine with that, I already hit it about 290~300. However, sometimes I get it with lower spin that I can see this thing taking a big bounce/roll from the landing spot.

This club seems to be made for me. It flies straight and is surprisingly easy to work with. I had some doubts about the club so I went back to the shop and tried the Alpha Double Diamon, R15 and 915D2 again and on the monitor the XR Pro was easily the better fit. I like the shaft and the sound it makes on impact as well.

One thing I've noticed and my friend noticed on his Callaway hybrid is that the hosel of the club, below the adjustable pieces seems to have dropped a bit onto the shaft. I had this happen a bit with my Titleist 910F fairway so I don't know if this just happens on these adjustable clubs.

Likely going to buy the XR Pro hybrid sometime in the next few weeks.

I hit this...incredibly well today.

On the range ended up a 13.9 and 2800 LA/Spin avg in 15 balls with it.

Balls went far.

Back