NXT Tour S / Q-star / Chrome +

Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Was wondering if anybody compared the three. Tired of paying 50 bucks a dozen

Have played the Q Star and NXT Tour S. I think they are both quality balls but the NXT Tour S was better on the greens.

Haven't played the Chrome + but I've played quite a few of the other two. I'm really not a fan of the Q star, it does everything OK but it feels like a marshmellow and I'm not a fan of balls that soft. The NXT is not a bad ball, I really don't think it's leaps and bounds above the Wilson Duo though which costs 10 bucks less a dozen and plays well without the marshmellow feeling of the Q star.

Of course this is all subjective to what feel you prefer.

I have played the Q Star and shot my PB and only paid 18 for a dozen. I will never ever pay 50 bucks for a dozen balls that's just silly to me.

NXT Tour S feels softer than the Qstar to me.

I like soft feeling golf balls. The NXT tour S is super durable as well, great spin around the greens, full shots no problem. Soft feeling golf ball off all the clubs even putter.

QStar 2013 (Stripe Left on Box) is the best ball for the money. Does it spin around the greens like urethane? No. Is it predictable? Yes. That's the biggest thing for me I know what to expect from the QStar where i don't with most other balls. The only 2 drawbacks is that it does pick up smudges of dirt easily due to spin skin and I do notice a little bit of shredding but not enough to make the ball look bad at all typically you can hardly tell. FYI I am using box grooves still.

Chrome + is good but not very durable easily made cuts in the ball with my wedges.

NXT Tour S just never really liked the balls had no spin around the greens for me.

I find the Q-Star to be too soft. To me, they're like hitting a marshmallow.
The ball performs well but I can't get past the feel of it.

I have played the Q Star and NXT Tour S and like the NXT better. The Q Star felt harder to me and I was able to get a little more greenside spin with the NXT.

Academy z stars on sale 20 per dozen load up they are awesome!

Haven't played the Chrome +, but I've played the other two extensively. As you can see by the variety of feedback you've already gotten, it's totally subjective. The only way to get the "right" answer is to play them all yourself. Personally, I love the Q-Star. I find the NXT to be alright, and I don't mind playing them, but the Q-Star is slightly less money and an all around better performer for me. I find them similar in the short game, but seem to hit the Q-Star straighter off the tee. Distance is very comparable.

I have played both the 2013 q star and the chrome+. Both are the best value balls in their respective category (mid tier and tour ball) My vote would go to the chrome + it's more durable than the Pro V1 and due to the sale going on callaway's website they can be had at $21/ dozen so that pretty much takes away the incentive to go with the q stars.

I have played the Chrome + and I liked it. I have played the NXT Tour, but not the NXT Tour S as I felt it would be too soft for me. I like how the NXT Tour works for me especially around the greens which is what a lot of people are saying about the NXT Tour S.

Very different golf balls. Two of them are surlyn covered and the Chrome is urethane covered. You will find far more greenside spin with urethane covered golf balls.

I have played both the 2013 q star and the chrome+. Both are the best value balls in their respective category (mid tier and tour ball) My vote would go to the chrome + it's more durable than the Pro V1 and due to the sale going on callaway's website they can be had at $21/ dozen so that pretty much takes away the incentive to go with the q stars.

Where are you seeing chrome+ for $21, I see it for $28.10

Very different golf balls. Two of them are surlyn covered and the Chrome is urethane covered. You will find far more greenside spin with urethane covered golf balls.

True but I'd like a bit less spin than the prov

True but I'd like a bit less spin than the prov

Why do you believe it spins less? Not in our testing for what its worth. Could just be a "mileage may vary" kind of thing. To be fair, despite what marketing is throwing out there from many companies, I find most urethane balls to offer plenty of spin regardless of manufacturer.

Last edited:
I've honestly always found the NXTs to be HIGHLY overrated. I've heard them described by some as a, "poor Nan's" Pro V1 but have never found to performance to be any better than as $20 a dozen ball.

Sent from my grain flow forged iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the Q star but I just tried the Z Star and love it. I buy all my balls on Lost golf balls or Bock bottom golf so the Z Stars were like $15/dzn and look brand new. I just got a sort of "meh" feeling from the Chrome +. I also played a dozen NXT Tour S and thought they were ok. Definitely softer feeling and a bit more bite

My favorite ball not wrapped in urethane is the NXT Tour by far. I like the Q-star but prefer a harder feeling ball. Never tried the Chrome+.

The NXT feels hard to me. Have heard great things about the Chrome + and Callaway is putting on a deal right now w/ Lefty winning The Open Championship. I too hate paying $50 for a doz. of balls, usually order online when I see a sale.

Why do you believe it spins less? Not in our testing for what its worth. Could just be a "mileage may vary" kind of thing. To be fair, despite what marketing is throwing out there from many companies, I find most urethane balls to offer plenty of spin regardless of manufacturer.

I should have clarified. Not wedge spin but driver spin is what I'm looking to cut back on. I tend to get a big fade almost slice when I get wild and I'd like a little less driver spin

I should have clarified. Not wedge spin but driver spin is what I'm looking to cut back on. I tend to get a big fade almost slice when I get wild and I'd like a little less driver spin
Perhaps what you need is to take a lesson, not look for a new ball.

Perhaps what you need is to take a lesson, not look for a new ball.

I hit the ball fairly well and find the fairway more often than not but like said I'm tired of paying 50 a dozen and like alot of good holders need a little less driver spin.

Back