FBR Open (Spoilers possible!)

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
The tournament at the TPC Scottsdale began today. Golf's biggest party!

Alright, one of you fashion gurus please fill me on this Ryan Moore guy.

When I saw him at the FBR it was like the coaches reaction to first seeing Charlie Sheen in Major League:

"Look at this f----in' guy"

Sneakers, loose fitting corduroys, and a powder blue tie (partially tied, of course). The announcers were as flustered as I was.

When I saw him at the FBR it was like the coaches reaction to first seeing Charlie Sheen in Major League:

Sneakers, loose fitting corduroys, and a powder blue tie (partially tied, of course). The announcers were as flustered as I was.

lol, i saw that too. looked like a bum, lol. the guys on the European Tour sure know how to dress though. they must look at guys like RM and think "WTF???", heh...

I saw that too, interesting choice of attire. I liked the shoes. LOL
Spoiler
Tough day for Phil and AK. If they dont get it together and at least stop losing ground to the leaders, Id say its over for them. I dont think Phil hit a fairway all day and his putting was terrible.

I though Ryan Moore looked like a cross between Angus Young and Mister Rogers.

EDIT: Oh, and can someone please shut Gary McCord up?

EDIT #2: How long has Lucas Glover been a Nike staffer?

Last edited:
Man, can you believe he shot a 76??

Spoiler
Phil, that is.

The booth also mentioned that he shot 64 at Whisper Rock earlier this week, which was interesting to me because I just read an article in GolfWorld this afternoon on my flight home about that club (which requires everyone, including über pros, to pay their membership fee of $100K).

EDIT: Oh, and can someone please shut Gary McCord up?

EDIT #2: How long has Lucas Glover been a Nike staffer?

haha! that is a PERFECT description of him!

and yeah, McCord is just beyond annoying.

No kidding. Thank God for the mute button. I can only take so much of McCord talking about birds and cacti.
Did you guys see when Camillo got a quill from a cactus stuck in his hand and that lady loaned him her tweezers to get it out? Apparently he signed a glove and gave it to her and the commenters said something about how it probably had a phone number written on it.
Id agree with that. Did you guys see that lady? She was smokin' hot! :call-me:

I have to say, this tournament both shocked and amazed me. I stopped by the local Dick's after my range practice and was talking to the guy there and the tournament was on the big screen.

They were showing everyone coming through the 123 yard Par 3 in the stadium. For a second I thought I was watching Happy Gilmore! I've never seen a crowd that boisterous at a pro event, and I've especially never seen someone boo'd for their tee shot by a bunch of half-naked partying golf fans lol.

:golf::twist::party::music::egyptian:

IMO, if you are a golf pro and miss the green on a 150-yard par 3, you deserve to get booed. The, "tip your hat" chant was kind of obnoxious though, but I guess if the crowd cheers for a good shot, the least the players can do is wave or tip their hat in acknowledgement.
I think the 16th is a great idea.

The, "tip your hat" chant was kind of obnoxious though,

Totally agree B-Man. In past years, didn't the crowd have "Cheat Sheets" with something unique about each player that they would chant? That way, it was still about golf and the individual player. "Tip your hat!" just seems more like a drunken "pay attention to us!"

I don't mind the 16th. In fact, I think it's fun as a one-time thing. But what worries me is that, whenever alcohol is involved, it will continuously deteriorate as it becomes more and more of the popular event and the hip thing to do. More fans who know nothing about golf, and just want to be where the party is. Right now the booing is all in good fun, but how long before there is screaming during a player's swing, throwing of beer, and fights in the stands? This year already seems rowdier than previous years. I sure hope I'm wrong about this.

True. It would be sad if it deteriorated to the pont where it was all about heckling the players.
The players deserve a certain level of respect and while its all in fun, there is a point where it goes from being fun to being excessive and downright immature.

True. It would be sad if it deteriorated to the pont where it was all about heckling the players.
The players deserve a certain level of respect and while its all in fun, there is a point where it goes from being fun to being excessive and downright immature.

^^^ A much clearer way of saying what I was trying to say in much fewer words. :good:

(I'm tripping over my tongue as usual.)

I would like to think that someone wouldnt yell during a player's swing. The marshals are in the stands holding up the, "quiet" signs, but when you throw alchohol into the mix, you never know. I know that Ive done some things when I was drunk that I likely wouldnt do if I were sober. :D
You would think though that if someone is causing problems that the marshals would make them leave.
Did anyone else hear the comment that someone made to the leader on 17 or 18? I didnt catch exactly what was said, just something about his pink shirt. It was bad enough that one of the commentators said, "Oh, dont say that..."
I guess though, that if you are going to wear a pink shirt, youve almost gotta expect someone to hassle you about it.

Did anyone else notice that Crown Royal passed out Quiet signs that looked like the ones the marshals had. They also showed a crowd hovering around a girl chanting something on the Friday round, I couldnt really make out the chant.:act-up: It looks like a good time and I think its good for the game, im with you though, it would be annoying if we had to sit through that every tournament. I think if I remember, I will head out next year.

Well, some moron just screamed in the middle of Ryan Moore's backswing on 16 and Moore, who is currently only 1 shot out of the lead and trying to get his first win, hit it left.

Well, some moron just screamed in the middle of Ryan Moore's backswing on 16 and Moore, who is currently only 1 shot out of the lead and trying to get his first win, hit it left.

Wow....not cool. How did he react?

Funniest part of this tournament was McCord describing how the stands on 16th were situated:

"here are all the corperate stands, and here (Camera points to yahoos) are where all the.. idiots are sitting"

Wow....not cool. How did he react?

Just a big sigh and an eyeroll. He couldn't get mad otherwise they would really have gotten all over him.

I'm surprised the announcers didn't pick up on it.

Okay, I think Peter Oosterhaus just farted really loud. I'm on a bit of a delay because of my DVR but, at the 1:56 mark, Oostie was describing a James Nitties chip. He suddenly paused and . . . fwaaaaaap, then started talking again.

Specifically,

"If you don't get it in that . . . fwaaaaap . . . light brown area, the slope in every direction taking the ball away from the cup."

I swear he was trying not to laugh too.

That was some crappy golf for a couple of professionals.

what awful golf. nobody wanted to win. no wonder Tiger eats these guys up.

No kidding. That playoff was an exhibition of crappy golf. It was almost like neither of those guys wanted to win.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/notebook?page=weekly18-090202

16 Quote of the week

809.jpg

"He looks like he covered his body in glue and ran through a thrift shop."
-- CBS commentator David Feherty on the nattily attired Ryan Moore.

Wearing his own duds -- no freebies here -- Moore dressed himself in trademark painter's cap while adding a skinny tie throughout the FBR Open, looking "like a cross between Justin Timberlake and Ellen DeGeneres," said Feherty's tag-team partner Gary McCord -- which may or may not be a compliment.

But this underscores a bigger story, namely the fact that one of the game's better young talents is currently without any sponsorship deals that would put logos on his clothes. Though it could be taken as another sign of the economic downturn, consider it a matter of personal choice that the former PING-sponsored pro is now without any contractual obligations.

"I love that old-school look," Moore told the Arizona Republic. "To be honest, I did a lot of thinking in the off-season. I just wanted to go back to playing golf because I love playing golf. It has nothing to do with wanting sponsorships and stuff like that. … I just love playing and going out to the course every day, and some of that stuff can get in the way. This year I wanted my focus to be golf and golf only, and to not even think or worry about that other stuff. Good golf takes care of itself. That is where I'm at this year. I just want the focus to be on that."

Whatever he's doing, it's working. Moore shot 69-67-68-69 to finish T-6 at the FBR, and collected $194,250 in the process.

Back