My day at the Women's US Open

soxngolf

back to the season
Reaction score
So I spent the day at Saucon Valley Country Club the site for the Women's US Open. (there is a separate thread for the pictures!) The course itself is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. It seems like it is a lot longer than the 6,7400 they are saying! I started out the day at the first hole with Morgan Pressel and Christie Kerr. It was a lot of fun to see them putting on the green to get the speed, the break etc. These greens were moving fast. I watched them tee off on #2, both hit great drives, and then later caught up with them again on the 9th and 13-15. (although Kerr had left before the 9th and was chipping in the practice area) Morgan was pretty funny entertaining everyone on the green talking about the CVS Charity tournament she payed recently. Initially, I stayed at #1 to watch Kristy McPherson, Brittany Lincicome and Meredith Duncan play the hole. Let me tell you, Brittany is L-O-N-G! The hole is a 549 yard par 5 and she had about 40-50 yards to the hole for her third shot. She was easily 50 yards in front of both McPherson and Duncan. Brittany is also very tall! I didn't know that, but when you watch her swing you can see how she hits the ball so far. We walked with them on the second hole as well and again Brittany had at least 50 yards on the girls. At that point we were by the first and tenth holes where the groups were starting off and near the putting green. Just some random thoughts on players. Lorena is tiny and I mean tiny. Not just in height, but her arms etc, I can't believe she can hit the ball like she can. Christina Kim looks awesome! She is really looking good and had both her Iphone and Blackberry in her back pockets while playing! She, of course, was great to spectators and came up and hugged the USGA lady announcing on the first hole. I also saw her doing an interview later with a Japanese reporter and she tried a few words in Japanese. Momoko Ueda is another tiny one and had on a fabulous dress today. She also had a ton of Japanese press around her. I literally ran into Meaghan Francella and Yani Tseng (at two separate times). I thought Meaghan was very brave wearing a NYGiants hat in Eagles country. Helen Alfredsson was all business and teed off on the 16th tee before the rest of her group was even off the previous green. She never looked up at the spectators. Stacy Lewis and Laura Diaz seemed to be having a good time and complimented each other on their shots and chatted a little. Anna Nordqvist practiced for at least 3 hours after her round. Annika's coach Henri Reis was there practicing with her. I didn't see any of Paula's round or Juli Inkster's because they had teed off in the morning (8:30), but they were some of the few golfers to finish all 18 holes, most turned it in after 9. It was really hot out there in the sun, but perfect in the shade. I have to say that all the players were very impressive about signing autographs and taking pictures. Kristy McPherson was really nice to a young girl (one of the pictures) and chatted with her a little after the first hole. I saw Christina Kim running to catch up to her group a few times after stopping to sign hats, etc.
Just a little fashion discussion on the USOpen merchandising tent. Very impressive. Honestly more women's golf clothing than in a normal store, plus a very nice juniors and little ones section too(and men's). I bought two adidas shirts with the USOpen logo for $50 each, that is less than the shirt without the logo would be in a store!
It was a very fun day, a very impressive course and some very impressive golfers. When you see it in person it is amazing how far they hit the ball, how precise they are with their wedges and their accuracy putting. I had a fantastic day and am really looking forward to the tournament.:blob:

If anyone has any questions about specific golfers feel free to ask!

Last edited:
I agree about how amazing they are in person. I still remember Yani Tseng's 3wood off the first tee at the McDonald's. She just wound up and crushed it. Same impression also about Lorena -- she really is much more petite than I thought from TV. And Momoko is just as cute as a button.

Glad you had a good time. I assume you'll be there all week?

Thanks Soxy. Great report.

Glad you had a good time. I assume you'll be there all week?

No WSE, I wish I were going during the tournament, but I have to be in NYC. Claire is there today so I am sure she will report back on day #2 action.

Bummer! I love having you and Claire on staff for these NorEast events, though. Did you get any sense about the players' reaction to the escalating situation with the Biv? Did you watch Alexis Thompson (a) hit at all? Any buzz about her chances to do something spactacular?

I didn't hear any discussion about Bivens. However, most of the media there was from Japan for just the first practice day. I know Ron Sirak just got there today and GMA will be there tomorrow. I think as more media converge on Saucon Valley there will be more discussions. Of course, the Japanese media could have been all over it yesterday, I just couldn't understand them!

I did watch Alexis Thompson hit on the driving range area. She puts a lot into her swing, kind of like Michelle Wie used to when she was younger. Every muscle in her body is working to get that ball out there. She had two men with her watching her hit, I am assuming her dad and a coach?
Anna Nordqvist was the one who impressed me the most in the practice area, she was there forever! I first walked up mid afternoon and she was in the chipping area and had obviously been there a while by the shear amount of balls on the green. She then moved to the driving area and I watched her for a while there. She has such a smooth swing. Anyway, I then went and watched some of the action on the course. To finish my day I went back to the practice area, about 2.5 hours after I had first been there...she was STILL hitting. And she had been out on the course earlier in the day!

It was amazing to see all these professional golfers still getting lessons and correcting their swings even three days before the US Open. A lot of amateurs will comment they don't want to go to an instructor because they are afraid to change something and mess up their swings...I think we can all take a lesson from the professionals, keep working to improve!

A lot of amateurs will comment they don't want to go to an instructor because they are afraid to change something and mess up their swings...I think we can all take a lesson from the professionals, keep working to improve!

You got that right. We have a whole thread about it. Great info Soxy.

Very interesting. I saw Anna at McD's as well. Now there is one tall drink of water. It would be fun to see her, or any of these young guns really, do well out there this week. It's going to be amusing watching the LPGA staff and principle players duck the questions about Bivens "out of respect for the USGA." I heard Sirak mention that Christie Kerr actually read a statement today saying she would have no statement. That's funny.

Maybe the attention about Bivens and the letter will bring in some viewers! They of course will then be won over by the women of the LPGA and be hooked forever!

Back