The Car Shopping Thread

Ah. Yeah, I hear you on that one. Before I bought my Accord, I looked into buying used but I would have only saved a few thousand dollars buy used, so I figured I might as well buy new and get the warranty.

You might want to look at the recently released J.D. Power IQS study. VW finished near the bottom of the list. I actually really like VWs, I think theyre beautiful, wonderful driving cars but for as long as I keep a car, Im not sure that Id feel confident owning a VW. Other than the GTI, they dont get very good quality ratings and you hear a lot of horror stories about VW owners whose cars nickle and dimed them to death.

Torque.

Couldn't resist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We typically stay in warranty so that doesn't matter that much to me. I'd be surprised if the TDI or the GLI (same engine as the GTI) were among the bottom dwellers of that list - Which are the only two cars we're interested in.

It's also to each their own. I've never spoken to a single person face to face who said they hated their VW or that it was falling apart.

Talk to 20 people a month who have them sit in your shop .

They get some miles on them and the repair bills start stacking up pretty rapidly.

I know it's been rumoured, but heard from a friend who works for VW that the Golf Sportswagon will be available with AWD starting in early 2016. Perfect time for me to be replacing my car. Really hope he knows what he's talking about.

I love my Tahoe. Its got its little issues like any vehicle, but the only thing I don't like is the same for all GM trucks: dash cracks. There's a couple spots on the dashes that tend to crack for who knows what reason, and GM essentially acts as if they've never heard of such a thing. I've had zero mechanical or electrical issues.

Talk to 20 people a month who have them sit in your shop .

They get some miles on them and the repair bills start stacking up pretty rapidly.

I'm sure that could apply to any car in any shop. Either way, like I said, I'm not even remotely worried about it. Glad to have the warranty.

I'm sure that could apply to any car in any shop. Either way, like I said, I'm not even remotely worried about it. Glad to have the warranty.

Actually Subaru owners never complain they are a weird sort .

I can correct that if you like. Although not technically mine, the Wife owns a Forrester. It's had its fair share of problems and the bills have been what I would consider pretty high! It's a vehicle I wouldn't particularly want to drive on a daily basis. It's not a bad vehicle, just not that high on the fun factor.
With regards to VW, they have a reputation in the UK for being über reliable, something a mate of mine in the trade back home reckons is totally unfounded. His answer is always the same. If you want good reliability, buy Japanese. But I agree with previous comments about Honda's lack of torque. I can't stand their V-tec engines. They have their market, but the power never seems to be there when you need it. It's fun ragging a car sometimes, but when you have to do it all the time, it gets a bit tiresome for me.

I can correct that if you like. Although not technically mine, the Wife owns a Forrester. It's had its fair share of problems and the bills have been what I would consider pretty high! It's a vehicle I wouldn't particularly want to drive on a daily basis. It's not a bad vehicle, just not that high on the fun factor.
With regards to VW, they have a reputation in the UK for being über reliable, something a mate of mine in the trade back home reckons is totally unfounded. His answer is always the same. If you want good reliability, buy Japanese. But I agree with previous comments about Honda's lack of torque. I can't stand their V-tec engines. They have their market, but the power never seems to be there when you need it. It's fun ragging a car sometimes, but when you have to do it all the time, it gets a bit tiresome for me.

I have said it many times even in this thread. Subaru are reliable to a point. They wont leave you stranded but they have nagging little problems that cost a fair bit more than other cars because of the boxer engine and awd systems, and maintainece is at a premium cost becuase of this also.

Check out the Hyundai Sante Fe (not Sport). We have one fully loaded, its a great great vehicle - third row - power liftgate - all tech.

I was seriously considering the full sized Santa Fe but the redesigned Sorrento (2016) was the one I opted for. Only 3" shorter than the Santa Fe, three rows (don't need that) and they did a very good job on the interior.

There is a saying about subaru owners and their cars, They are both always broke. Love my suby and will not buy anything else.

We typically stay in warranty so that doesn't matter that much to me. I'd be surprised if the TDI or the GLI (same engine as the GTI) were among the bottom dwellers of that list - Which are the only two cars we're interested in.

It's also to each their own. I've never spoken to a single person face to face who said they hated their VW or that it was falling apart.
Of the six cars I have owned in the last 14 years, my VW was the only one I kept long enough for the warranty to run out. I had it five years to be exact, and other than an airbag recall, I never once had it in the shop.

The sample sizes in this thread are amazing

My brother in laws vw was a lease, 2013. Car needed an engine replacement before the lease ended.

Knock on wood, the wifes 2012 Beetle has been worry free minus a few recall issues. Same with my 2011 CC before I traded it in on the CX-5. But I always buy the extended warranty anyway so I didnt really care much.

So, I know we have some dealership guys in here, quick Q

I just got called by the dealership where I bought my car last year, 2013 Veloster Turbo in the Matte paint, and was given some pitch about another customer and insurance issue and wanting to replace their make of this one for the same, which "happens" to be mine. They want to inspect and make me a cash offer next week to buy back the car.

Now, my BS meter says to me its EXTREME ******** and a scheme to get me to move to a newer car so they can get it off their lot, but, I wanted to throw it at you guys first. Thoughts?

I just got called by the dealership where I bought my car last year, 2013 Veloster Turbo in the Matte paint, and was given some pitch about another customer and insurance issue and wanting to replace their make of this one for the same, which "happens" to be mine. They want to inspect and make me a cash offer next week to buy back the car.

Now, my BS meter says to me its EXTREME ******** and a scheme to get me to move to a newer car so they can get it off their lot, but, I wanted to throw it at you guys first. Thoughts?

Ya, I'm with you here Jman...I've never heard of this type of offer before. Yours is about to the end of the 3 years, so it might be a gimmick to get you to come back in and buy a new one.

WITH that said, if the offer is STUPID good, money talks. I'd be willing to listen to a cash offer...and be up front with them and tell them, it's either X amount of dollars coming my way, or I'm keep the car.

AND NOT trade in value...straight CASH buy offer, give me a check for THIS amount and I'll do with the cash as I please.

Last edited:

Ya, I'm with you here Jman...I've never heard of this type of offer before. Yours is about to the end of the 3 years, so it might be a gimmick to get you to come back in and buy a new one.

WITH that said, if the offer is STUPID good, money talks. I'd be willing to listen to a cash offer...and be up front with them and tell them, it's either X amount of dollars coming my way, or I'm keep the car.

AND NOT trade in value...straight CASH buy offer, give me a check for THIS amount and I'll do with the cash as I please.

I get them in the mail occasionally. "WE WANT YOUR CAR!" Like Jay says, if its a great offer, take it. They get a used car on the lot aht still has some factory warranty left, and you either get cash or a new car. I'd imagine they intend to get you in there to work a trade, so go in with the "write me a check" attitude.

Are they claiming an issue with matte paint? I have heard of that before with insurance companies not paying enough to cover the match of the paint.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Are they claiming an issue with matte paint? I have heard of that before with insurance companies not paying enough to cover the match of the paint.

Its possible. This paint is a pain, but it looks good. Appt next week with them for grins, I'm going in with a number and we will see how big the pile of ******** this is.

Its possible. This paint is a pain, but it looks good. Appt next week with them for grins, I'm going in with a number and we will see how big the pile of ******** this is.

haha I hope the number is silly. I would love to get a call like that. The dealership wouldn't even know what hit them.

Sounds a little crazy, but see what the offer is.

If it is a true buyback it should be purchase price less milage while also factoring in the interest and fees from your car loan . It is usually a pretty solid number

Back