Playing Clubs Above Your Pay Grade (Skill Level)

I would like to have a really good player take my clubs for a round, score a nice 78, and rid me of the excuse that it's my clubs. Cure my ponderings as well.

I've learned that I can miss just as bad regardless of the club design as it relates to players/GI/SGI, etc.

Sure the SGI designs will offer a bit more forgiveness but it all comes down to what you crave and what you are okay dealing with as far as results of poor struck shots.

For some reason, I seem to hit traditional irons (let's just call them Apex, 545's, J40's, etc) better than I do SGI designs. Doesn't make sense and I'm about done trying to make sense of it.

We aren't getting paid to play golf so damn the skeptics and haters. Play what makes YOU happy.

I agree with everything you say here Cookie. My question is and it's probably a stupid one. If your a decent player, is it possible playing SGI irons can hold back your ball striking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with everything you say here Cookie. My question is and it's probably a stupid one. If your a decent player, is it possible playing SGI irons can hold back your ball striking?

I want to say yes.

But logically it doesn't make any sense.

Stupid mental game.

I want to say yes.

But logically it doesn't make any sense.

Stupid mental game.

I hear ha. I started to think about it and the more I do I just can't make sense of it

Got to play what works for you. I am a MC and play a tour grade iron. I found out that SGI clubs actually hurt me.

I played S56's a while and loved them. Way above my level, but I went back to an old favorite for more forgiveness. I'm sure I'll be back to a players iron soon enough

Not if you know what they are going to do, which most good ball strikers do.
To give you an example. A few years back (maybe 10), good players would never play hybrids. Remember the talk that a pro would never use such a thing. Now they are in about 70% of bags throughout the year on tour and its an afterthought? A hybrid is really no different than a super game improvement iron. Oversized, hollow body, large sole and top line.

Not if you know what they are going to do, which most good ball strikers do.
To give you an example. A few years back (maybe 10), good players would never play hybrids. Remember the talk that a pro would never use such a thing. Now they are in about 70% of bags throughout the year on tour and its an afterthought? A hybrid is really no different than a super game improvement iron. Oversized, hollow body, large sole and top line.

Thats a great example Josh. I started thinking about this because I was taking a lesson about a month and a half ago. I was playing by Bertha irons and I made just a horrible pass at the ball and the shot ended up pretty good. My instructor said "Wow those are really forgiving". That made me start to think can you get better as a ball striker using SGI irons. I'm sure the answer is, yes you can. Its just a thought that often creeps into my head.

My 1iron with 5.5 rifle shaft... used to be my go to need a drive in the fairway 250 club... now it's my " I really want to feel the sting of a miss hit" club.

Back