Daytona Area Recommendations

willc23

Reaction score
Handicap
In the Daytona area for the week and looking for some recommendations. I usually end up playing Halifax Plantation in Flagler, but looking to play elsewhere this go around. How is the LPGA course in Daytona? Thanks for any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A group of us are playing LPGA Hills course on the 31st. It is supposed to be one if the best in the area. Hammock Beach Ocean is also top rated but more money.

Hammock Beach Ocean and Conservatory are by far my favorites in the area. Although a bit of a drive. In fact its not even close.
LPGA course is also very good.

To those above you may want to add Victoria Hills in Deland just a few exits down I-4.(prob. less than 1/2 hour) Vic Hills is not that expensive and an interesting course for FL with some elevation changes and challenging holes. Always thought of it as a decent value and a fun track. Also some nice golf about about an hour up I-95 at WGV, King & Bear and Slammer & Squire courses, likely a bit more $$ though.

The Hills course at LPGA is great.

If you can get on and don't mind the price the hammock beach ocean course is one of the best in the state. Can't beat the setting, just awesome along the coast.

Thanks for the suggestions. Hit the old reliable Halifax Plantation for 36. Really tough to beat for the price. $30 for the first 18 and $20 for the next. Shot 88 from the Blues and 86 from the Blacks. Go figure. Way too many OBs. Got paired up on my first 18 and the guy had nothing but good things to say about LPGA. Also recommended Hammock. Not sure if I'll get another go this week, but if I do, LPGA is going to be it. Save Hammock for the next time I'm down. Thanks again for the responses.

Glad you had fun. Never have played Halifax, though the designer also did the course I grew up on so I've been curious.

Give us some more advance notice next time you're down and we can get some THPers together to play with you. :)

Glad you had fun. Never have played Halifax, though the designer also did the course I grew up on so I've been curious.

Give us some more advance notice next time you're down and we can get some THPers together to play with you. :)

Definitely, if you can give a bit more advanced notice, there are plenty of THP'ers in that area of Florida that I'm sure would love to play a round or two with a fellow THP'er.

Just got the go ahead to play LPGA tomorrow (Tuesday). What is everyone's preferred course?

Last edited:

Just got the go ahead to play LPGA tomorrow (Tuesday). What is everyone's preferred course?

The Hills course by far. The other (formerly Champions) is kind of links style and easier. The Hills (formerly Legends) is a woodland layout with almost no houses, beautiful sculpting and routing, some great holes, a little elevation change. If I lived closer I'd be at the hills course all the time.

The Hills course by far. The other (formerly Champions) is kind of links style and easier. The Hills (formerly Legends) is a woodland layout with almost no houses, beautiful sculpting and routing, some great holes, a little elevation change. If I lived closer I'd be at the hills course all the time.

I'm the opposite, I am partial to the Champions (Jones Course). Both are very nice and enjoyable.

Booked for the Hills course. Thanks again everyone.

One more week to go for me. Let us know how it is. Enjoy.

Just finished the Hills Course with a 93 from the whites. One poor hole really threw me for a loop. Stood on the tee knowing I should go 3 iron, but the driver devil talked me into the dumb decision. 3 ob shots later and the round went up in flames. From there the wind picked up to 30-40 mph gusts in the face for the final 4 holes. That is not a game I am familiar with. I don't want to know what it was like on the Jones course if it is more links like.

All in all I liked the course, other than the 18th hole which seemed a little too cute for my taste. Might have been different but for the wind. Got a pretty cheap rate off of Golfnow.com ($40).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Was it cartpath only or has the overseed grown in already? How were the greens? To bad about the wind but I am COUNTING on a PERFECT day. (praying to the golf gods)

It was CPO for the first couple of hours. There was lots of rain overnight. They pushed out a message over the GPS on the carts to go 90* which was pretty sweet.

Couldn't really get a good read on the greens. Sometimes very fast, sometimes slow. I think I am just not used to Bermuda greens. Condition wise they were in good shape and rolled real smooth. It's worth getting excited about IMO.

Sorry about the blowup and the wind but glad you enjoyed. Bermuda can be super aggravating even if you live with it and have played on it for 20+ years.

How did your round go?

Very ugly 103 with probably less than 30 putts so it was all ballstriking. Had a great time though with other THPers.

What did you think of 18?

Extremely demanding hole. You need to be long and right off the tee or you have no shot at the green. Even then you are hitting through the gap in the trees to a tough green.
IMG_20131231_130905093_HDR.jpg

Extremely demanding hole. You need to be long and right off the tee or you have no shot at the green. Even then you are hitting through the gap in the trees to a tough green.
IMG_20131231_130905093_HDR.jpg

No doubt. I was under the tree on the left hand side. Totally in jail. Great picture.

Back