Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

That is awesome man! I really enjoyed my time with these irons. Still think they might be my favorite looking iron that I have ever played. They are stunners. I think Nike did a heck of a job with the blades in this set

I am pretty enamored with these irons. Have been for a year.

Problem is, I don't think that I have the game for them. It's odd though, I always feel like my swing is better with "harder to hit" clubs with smaller heads. I like my i20 irons, but I feel ore comfortable swinging a s56, Pro Combo, Razr X Forged, etc. some of the best iron shots I have ever hit were goofing around with some Titleist 710 MBs.

Maybe the head weight is different? Maybe it's mental? I dunno...

Regardless, I really want a set of these.

I am pretty enamored with these irons. Have been for a year.

Problem is, I don't think that I have the game for them. It's odd though, I always feel like my swing is better with "harder to hit" clubs with smaller heads. I like my i20 irons, but I feel ore comfortable swinging a s56, Pro Combo, Razr X Forged, etc. some of the best iron shots I have ever hit were goofing around with some Titleist 710 MBs.

Maybe the head weight is different? Maybe it's mental? I dunno...

Regardless, I really want a set of these.

I love them.

I couldn't hit my I20's to save my life.

I love them.

I couldn't hit my I20's to save my life.
Any idea why you couldn't hit the i20s? I hit them pretty well, but it feels more like work than when I swing something with a smaller head.

Having similar thoughts about drivers, too.

Still waiting on my new set...though they were delivered yesterday! Got a call from the shop, spec sheet was spot on all clubs present good to go. Came back to my phone saw I had a voicemail from the shop... they were 1/2 inch shorter instead of 1/2 inch longer. Gutted. They're hoping to rush them for the end of this week, but it might be early next which would mean another weekend (when I could have played/ practised both days) goes begging! Here's hoping the can get them to the shop by Friday!

Having to make do with diving into this looooong thread at various points to whet the appetite further, though I think that may be doing me more harm than good!

Hope to be able to share first impressions soon...

Spent some time with these today in the all CB version and was thoroughly impressed!

Tapping away on my S3

Still waiting on my new set...though they were delivered yesterday! Got a call from the shop, spec sheet was spot on all clubs present good to go. Came back to my phone saw I had a voicemail from the shop... they were 1/2 inch shorter instead of 1/2 inch longer. Gutted. They're hoping to rush them for the end of this week, but it might be early next which would mean another weekend (when I could have played/ practised both days) goes begging! Here's hoping the can get them to the shop by Friday!

Having to make do with diving into this looooong thread at various points to whet the appetite further, though I think that may be doing me more harm than good!

Hope to be able to share first impressions soon...

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the wrong specs. I'm sure they'll be worth the wait. Keep us posted.

Finally, FINALLY, got my hands on my new sticks this weekend but was range-bound due to melting snow and rain! Every silver lining...

Specs:
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW, a 56 degree VR Pro wedge and 2 iron VR Pro hybrid. All 1/2 inch longer, 2 degree upright, 1 degree strong (not wedge or hb), DG-X100 shafts (Proj X 6.0 in hb), plus two wraps on the grip. This is coming from some 20 year old, off the shelf Power Bilt TPS irons...

First impressions: Awesome. Ball going straighter and, unbelievably, higher but with a more penetrating flight. From the range I would guess these are going to be a club, or even two, longer than my old set but I need to get on the course with proper balls to confirm. I've not extensively practiced working the ball yet, plan to spend more time on that this week and next weekend. Must mention that I realise the improvements may be more down to the custom fit than the clubs, but I'll never really know how much is down to each aspect.

My irons have always been the strongest part of my game and at the moment I can only imagine I'm going to be unstoppable with these. Love the blades and splits - pure heaven to hit - but am most impressed with the 3 and 4 pockets. Mainly the ball flight and straightness compared to my old irons. I know other testers have not been so keen on them, and maybe it's because I'm coming from reeeeaaly old clubs and the new tech is just so much better, but I love them. Even if they do sound a little more 'clicky'.

Love the feel of the wedge too - have used it on the practice green and bunker. Also, a big shout out to the 2 iron hybrid which, so far, seems like a monster. It's the first hybrid I've ever hit let alone carried and I've been missing out big time. Awesome trajectory and I think this goes as far as my old Titleist 4 wood! Again just based on the range and will be interesting to see out on the real thing!

So, so far, so very good. I just hope the magic carries over to the course! I'll let you know...

Those vr bladed are beautiful! Nice choice. If i was in the market for a combo set those would be on my short list! Glad you like them.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Got in my first two rounds with these this weekend - took some money in the Swindle Saturday (played to handicap) and won my quarter final match in the Club KO comp 4&2. A pretty good first two rounds, even if I do say so myself! :act-up:

I love all the clubs. Blades and splits are just lovely and surprisingly forgiving and I love the pocket 3 and 4 - hit two of best shots with these. The 2iron hybrid is a monster! Can shape it at will and get 240+ yards out of it if I nail it with a draw. Amazing. The wedge is also beautiful from bunker, rough and anything inside 100 yards.

I can't say a bad word about these clubs, though my other set was so old and wrong for me that it was bound to be an improvement!

Thanks to the reviewers and everyone else who contributed to this thread - put my mind at ease about buying Nike clubs and gave some great insight and feedback. I owe you all!!

Single figures here I come again...

Ben

Hello newbie here! I am 27 and have been playing since I was 10. I am 6'2'' and my club head speed is around 115mph. I am currently playing TaylorMade Rac CGB Irons and find myself getting entirely too much loft even with my long irons. I have also found that I have essentially no distance control, So I am looking to make a change to something that can make my game a little more consistent. I consider myself a pretty good ball striker and my handicap is in the 12-13 range. I am seriously considering getting the VR Combos. But from what I have read these clubs may be slightly too advanced for a golfer like myself, can anyone provide some advice? I also wanted to get opinions if this might be too much of a jump as it is essentially going from one extreme to another.

Hello newbie here! I am 27 and have been playing since I was 10. I am 6'2'' and my club head speed is around 115mph. I am currently playing TaylorMade Rac CGB Irons and find myself getting entirely too much loft even with my long irons. I have also found that I have essentially no distance control, So I am looking to make a change to something that can make my game a little more consistent. I consider myself a pretty good ball striker and my handicap is in the 12-13 range. I am seriously considering getting the VR Combos. But from what I have read these clubs may be slightly too advanced for a golfer like myself, can anyone provide some advice? I also wanted to get opinions if this might be too much of a jump as it is essentially going from one extreme to another.

You swing irons at 115? Damn.

Got in my first two rounds with these this weekend - took some money in the Swindle Saturday (played to handicap) and won my quarter final match in the Club KO comp 4&2. A pretty good first two rounds, even if I do say so myself! :act-up:

I love all the clubs. Blades and splits are just lovely and surprisingly forgiving and I love the pocket 3 and 4 - hit two of best shots with these. The 2iron hybrid is a monster! Can shape it at will and get 240+ yards out of it if I nail it with a draw. Amazing. The wedge is also beautiful from bunker, rough and anything inside 100 yards.

I can't say a bad word about these clubs, though my other set was so old and wrong for me that it was bound to be an improvement!

Thanks to the reviewers and everyone else who contributed to this thread - put my mind at ease about buying Nike clubs and gave some great insight and feedback. I owe you all!!

Ben

Missed this post Ben but congrats man. These clubs are some of the best irons ever produced IMO

Ben

Very nice man. Sounds like you are very happy with your new set. I've got the 2 iron coming in soon and I cannot wait to hit it.

Dang Jeff that is gnarly! Wish I could hit a 2I. Stingers!!

I'm a 12 handicap (was 13 when I bought these clubs!!) and a good ball striker. You will have no problem with these - they are amazing!!

Two more rounds under my belt this weekend - Saturday 40 points in a stableford, got cut 0.7 to 11.8 (12) then won my semi-final of the winter knockout on the 18th, stiffing a 7i from the sopping wet rough forcing my opponent to faulter from centre of the fairway and come up short! Won it with a par 4. Worked out after that I played to handicap (in very wet and windy conditions).

These irons are less like golf clubs and more like magic wands!! I've have NEVER hit the ball so well or with as much control. I will re-iterate that this probably has more to do with the custom fit and shafts (KG - the shafts may be your consistency issue) than the clubs as I think I would have been way better with whatever I had custom fitted. But I can say no bad word about the irons. They are lovely. And the 2i hybrid is simply brilliant.

Dang Jeff that is gnarly! Wish I could hit a 2I. Stingers!!

We will see if I can hit it when it arrives. I've struggled with hybrids so I'm gonna give it a go and if it doesn't work out, I might look at a 5 wood.

Having got my irons and hit them, I was very intrigued by the sound of the 3irons makes me want to keep hitting it.

Having got my irons and hit them, I was very intrigued by the sound of the 3irons makes me want to keep hitting it.

I need to stay out of this thread.

Back