TaylorMade RocketBladez - Review Thread

I put Dynamic Gold R300 shafts in my Rocketbladez irons because of the recommendation of my fitter at Dicks. I haven't played them enough yet to know if they are right for me. But after reading rave reviews about KBS shafts, I wonder if I made a mistake. I don't seem to hit them much higher than my Burners. Does anyone know how much it would cost to ship them back to TM and have KBS shafts put in them?

Hit these again today, msn are they long, was hitting the 7 iron 165-170 a full club better than my j40s but that's to be expected

Hit these again today, msn are they long, was hitting the 7 iron 165-170 a full club better than my j40s but that's to be expected
They sure are fun to hit. Two rounds with them is all it took to impress me. So effortless to hit the RBladez.

They sure are fun to hit. Two rounds with them is all it took to impress me. So effortless to hit the RBladez.

Yeah and the 50% trade bonus is almost tempting enough...almost

I'd never tell you what to do, but I definitely don't think it's a bad switch at all, Mike.

My outdoors trip with the Rocketbladez was a good one. Between practice and this testing, I'm struggling to find any true negatives from a playability aspect. They just plain work for me and I have a great deal of confidence with an iron in my hand at the moment.

Can a few of you guys talk to me about your gaps at the top end of the irons? Specifically would like to hear what you are seeing 7-PW in terms of gaps. I know that many of you talked about 15 yard gaps and I'm wondering if that's the case all the way to your PW.

While I am seeing 15ish (still dialing it in) yard gaps from the 4i down through the 8i, I am seeing a more familiar 10-12yd gap 8-AW (on average). The gap spacing seems to get tighter in the higher numbers and wedges, which makes sense to me as that is where you'd like to be more precise. I have some indoor sim time booked later in the week and I'll see if I can get some visuals on that for you.

Right on. I do appreciate it.

I'd never tell you what to do, but I definitely don't think it's a bad switch at all, Mike.

My outdoors trip with the Rocketbladez was a good one. Between practice and this testing, I'm struggling to find any true negatives from a playability aspect. They just plain work for me and I have a great deal of confidence with an iron in my hand at the moment.

Can a few of you guys talk to me about your gaps at the top end of the irons? Specifically would like to hear what you are seeing 7-PW in terms of gaps. I know that many of you talked about 15 yard gaps and I'm wondering if that's the case all the way to your PW.

I went to the range yesterday and they had the range balls inside, which really made a difference (not hitting rocks), but it was still cold out, so the balls did not fly as far as they would on a nice summer day. Here is what I was seeing in the scoring irons:

PW - 150
9 iron - 160
8 iron - 170
7 iron - 180-185

These are the same distance gaps that I had with my r7 TPs during warmer months. From what I gather on the internet, the cold air that I hit in yesterday resulted in pretty much a 8-12% distance loss, so I can extrapolate out my summer yardages to about 10 yards more per club.

LOL - ok, everybody but you, jlukes :D

Haha was it something I said?

hahaha. No, I'm just jealous. I'd love to get that kind of yardage out of a scoring club. I'm still seeing some dropoff in yardage with the PW in my hand. In my brain I know it's a swing thing, but I don't understand what the hell is wrong with me. I'm trying to figure a way out to tell myself that it's just the way it should be and my PW swing doesn't stink.

hahaha. No, I'm just jealous. I'd love to get that kind of yardage out of a scoring club. I'm still seeing some dropoff in yardage with the PW in my hand. In my brain I know it's a swing thing, but I don't understand what the hell is wrong with me. I'm trying to figure a way out to tell myself that it's just the way it should be and my PW swing doesn't stink.

I've always hit my short irons long. I am actually working on slowing my swing down a bit with the shorter irons so that I can get more consistent accuracy.

At the range yesterday, I was hitting some fantastic shots with everything except the 4 iron. I am working on letting my hands/shaft drop at the top of my back swing right before I start my downswing so I come in flatter and from the inside more rather than over the top and steep. A big work in progress.

I've always hit my short irons long. I am actually working on slowing my swing down a bit with the shorter irons so that I can get more consistent accuracy.

At the range yesterday, I was hitting some fantastic shots with everything except the 4 iron. I am working on letting my hands/shaft drop at the top of my back swing right before I start my downswing so I come in flatter and from the inside more rather than over the top and steep. A big work in progress.

That's much harder for me to accomplish with long irons for some reason.

I'm acutally working on the same thing at the moment, my instructor is having me do allsorts of drills to get me to swing from the inside and have the right swing plane. I'm struggling with it more mentally because in my head I'm afraid the coming at it from that angle is going to push the ball out to the right (which obviously is not the case). The rbladez are helping because I'm mostly using a 6 or 7 irn and listening for the distinct "thwack" when I catch it right.

All distances are 'ish'...it can vary up or down a few yards depending on my swing.
7i - 165
8i - 150
9i - 135
PW - 120
AW - 105
SW - 95
LW - 85

All distances are 'ish'...it can vary up or down a few yards depending on my swing.
7i - 165
8i - 150
9i - 135
PW - 120
AW - 105
SW - 95
LW - 85

That's actually exactly what I was hoping to see. Yes!

I am working on [coming] from the inside more rather than over the top and steep. A big work in progress.

This has been on my mind too. There was an interesting drill on The Golf Fix (?) recently. Use two balls. Place the second ball maybe 4 inches behind the ball you are going to hi and have it off center so it covers maybe the 1/4 of the ball furthest away from you. Swing so you don't hit the 2nd ball. Michael Breed said to start slowly with partial swings; it can be hard to hit the ball properly if you jump straight to full swings. I'm going to try this drill this week.

That's actually exactly what I was hoping to see. Yes!

Cool, glad to help.

I've got the same issue as you but at the other end of the bag. Per those gaps I really should hit the 5i 195 pretty easily and the 4i (if I could hit it) 210. I have not seen those distances. Obviously it is me, but it has still been frustrating.

I'm acutally working on the same thing at the moment, my instructor is having me do allsorts of drills to get me to swing from the inside and have the right swing plane. I'm struggling with it more mentally because in my head I'm afraid the coming at it from that angle is going to push the ball out to the right (which obviously is not the case). The rbladez are helping because I'm mostly using a 6 or 7 irn and listening for the distinct "thwack" when I catch it right.
This is cool. I like it.

When I hit that 5 iron pure, it's definitely gapping fine for me, but I always go back and forth between good contact and heavy contact as I get into long irons. I know why I do it, but it's not the easiest to fix.

These are fairly consistant.
7-163
8-150
9-135
PW-125
AW-110

Thanks, C-Mac. That's helpful as well!

I would appreciate any responses of whether or not I should incur the expense of having Taylor Made take my Dynamic Gold shafts out of my Rocketbladez and replacing them with KBS shafts? Any thoughts would be welcome.

What are you hoping to accomplish with the change?

I want more height and distance, I don't see much difference between these and my old Burner irons. I read that most people are finding that they are increasing their distance and ball height and this is occuring for me yet.

Back