Do you hit the ball high enough?

I hit the ball high, i think. Probably a bit too high as I get very little roll on long irons/hybrids/woods but I probably won't look to change it though. I love getting the ball to easily spot on a green. Do I lose distance? Maybe, but I guess once my swing gets more consistent I can look to add a bit more swing speed.

The one thing that makes it hard to know is I have never seen these guys hit the ball in person. TV is one thing but it often changes the way things look. Look at how football/soccer fields look on TV compared to in person.

I definitely DO NOT get the height i'd like with my woods (driver especially) which Is why I'm pondering the 13.5* Callaway Xhot or Razr Extreme driver head to help with that a bit. Iron's are acceptible, but could probably gain a little by getting the ball a bit higher there as well.

A change of shaft may generate better results than moving to a higher loft in your driver.

I couldn't believe the difference between the stock shaft in the Razr fit and the new Aldila NVS I stuck in it recently!

I am comfortable with my ball flight, I'm playing s300's for the time being which brings my ball flight down lower than I would like, but with most irons my ball flight is pretty good I think. I think my ball flight is pretty decent with the driver. I would be ok with getting another degree or so of launch, but it is not bad. My miss with the driver is certainly low, I would like to eradicate that.

A change of shaft may generate better results than moving to a higher loft in your driver.

I couldn't believe the difference between the stock shaft in the Razr fit and the new Aldila NVS I stuck in it recently!

I'll certainly check that out, thanks!

On my iPhone T.. T.. Tapatalking away!

No way I have as high a ball flight as them. Even my 3 wood is a lower flight then Tigers stinger

No, and it's not even close. I'd like to hit the ball 3 times as high as I currently do.

When I'm playing well, I think I get it high enough with all my clubs (with the caveat that one of the things that makes pros pros is their ability to hit a 2 iron a mile high and stop it). When I'm not feeling too great with my swing, I can still get my wedges and short irons high up in the air, but play 3/4 swing low balls with the mid irons.

I have no problem getting the ball up in the air. I can certainly flight a shot lower if I need to, but I can stop a ball on an elevated green with any iron in my bag. At the same time, I don't think I hit the ball too high either. Hard to say it's too high unless we're talking about a skied drive or the wind is really howling.

Someone will have to tell me if I have high ball flight or not...I like the flight that I have with my irons if someone tells me its too high or too low I will say ok, and go about the flight I currenty have.

Out of all the flights I seen in that video, the one I liked the best was Phils at the 31 Second mark. That to me is the perfect flight...probably too low for a crappy amatuer like me..

I like the ball flight with my irons and wedges, but I really tend to balloon with my driver.

I think I hit it plenty high enough with just about every club. I'd consider myself right on the fringe of being too high, but I feel that I have acceptable distance for the height I get so I'm not complaining. I never have a problem holding a green with any approach shot so I guess it is a good benefit. I can manipulate the height of the driver with the tee height and ball position so I can go high or low depending on the conditions.

My struggle is hitting it lower with irons. I can hit a lower shot, and again, I tend to get the distance that I want out of it, but it could still be lower to help out in the windy conditions. My iron set up would be textbook for low launch, low trajectory but I still hit them very high.

Generally? No. But from time to time, I catch a mid iron just right and both the sound and the flight are great. That's one sorted, now for the other 60!

The only flight I actually enjoy is that of my driver, other than that, I wish I could get more height.

I do think high ball flight is overused and miss-interpreted among amateur golfers though.

I'm happy with my irons but anything longer than that & I struggle. I made the comment to Jman at the Texas Invitational that I rarely get off the tee more than what seems to be 8', it's higher than that but it's nothing like the bombs he, Zenger & JJMorris were dropping. If I do get one launched, it's straight up & straight down. I'd love to have a high ball flight but with distance.

I hit the ball higher than most people I play with but I am switching clubs to the 588 CB's with S300's from CG16's and the traction 85 shaft. This may bring my ball flight down some but that is ok as I tend to hit it up in the air pretty good. I don't hit it as high the the pro's but its high enough for me. My driver flight is very good as it gets up in the air but does not balloon.

I felt like a real idiot when I saw good golfers hitting the ball high and I'd spent the last few months trying to make my already low-ish ball go lower. Doh.

I had my eyes opened to this same thing. Best thing I've done is go higher, really has helped me a lot.

I had my eyes opened to this same thing. Best thing I've done is go higher, really has helped me a lot.

I want your ball flight with your driver and irons.

Iron shots, absolutely - as well as my strong 5-wood Hybrid is relatively low unfortunately most of the time but if I catch it right (which is less often than I would like) it travels a good way with a low flight, which can be a good/bad thing.

As for driver, I used to hit it very low till I realized I was catching the ball too low on the face - now that I have adjusted my tee height it is more predictable. Now just to learn how to manipulate it when I need to.

As for that video, I like the first flight Mickleson had for sure.

I'm not saying you do or do not. But our (amateurs) understanding of "high" and "mid" ball flights are not as accurate as we would like to think.

We think we are hitting the ball high, in reality, we are not.

I went with the Nippons because they are higher launching. Its amazing what the launch monitors and simulators are telling me. My iron flights have improved greatly. Without sacrificing ball speed or distance. In actuality, increasing them.
i get what you're saying, but if you saw me hit a 7i your jaw would be on the floor by how high i hit them. a little too high for my liking.

I still think I hit the ball too high.....probably because my ball flight goes up quickly not gradually like the ones in the video...mostly because I dont get enough forward shaft lean at impact.

i get what you're saying, but if you saw me hit a 7i your jaw would be on the floor by how high i hit them. a little too high for my liking.

I'm not doubting. But I still believe that in general, amateurs are too concerned with lowering their flight. There is a difference between high flight and ballooned shots however.

My last round out, I was told constantly that my drives were going ot "knock down low flying planes". Granted that day I was skying them a tad more than normal, but I still hit pretty high. I'd say to anyone coming to the northern Indiana outting, be prepared to look up.

And to the video, I only watched about half of it, the camera itself isn't at eye level for any of those golfers. Lower camera angle will make every one of those shots look higher than it really is.

I was at the range with my two buddies who I am helping with their swings and they were watching me hit and asked how I make the ball have the penetrating climb that my shots have. I said I have no clue but I love it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

I don't. I don't like it too high with irons, but might get a new shaft for driver. Grafalloy BooYah is a pretty high-launching shaft.

Back