Anything wrong, Mr. Kong?

Jersey Nate

#JourneyToBetter #THPMC
Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.2
Hoping that Freddie and the rest of the knowledgeable THP family can help me with drills/suggestions/observations for improving what is now my biggest miss, the dreaded pull/hook.

In 2013 I saw my ball flight change, especially in my irons. I went from playing a familiar fade, to getting confused from time to time over a once-in-a-while hook, to getting frustrated that my stock ball flight from my irons was a heavy draw/hook. My scores suffered last year because of this.

I had Richard help me video a couple iron swings (this was done with an 8i) in my backyard (forgive the rough swing). My Ci11s have KBS Tour 90s and are a half inch long and 2* upright (lie board fitting).

If more video is desired, I will get it as soon as the weather permits. Thanks THP and Freddie!

:act-up:Nice swing man,,only critique.,and only one I see is your leg setup at address. Maybe too straight legged..add some flex. Besides that, go out and play and have some fun. Nice turn.,infact one of the best backswing turns I've seen in a while,,

nice work

:act-up:My agree about your handicap.. Jay Cutler is our handicap for the next 7 years.. Should've traded that whiny sob

I agree that perhaps a bit more flex would be good. And I think your takeaway could have the club a bit more upright (that might change the very slight over-the-top move you have). Also your chin might need to come up a bit to stop it from hindering your shoulder turn. These are all things I have worked on myself and your current swing looks a lot like mine did the last time I video'd it. I'll be doing some more of that tomorrow to see if the fixes have taken hold. I'm with you on the journey to the picture-perfect swing... you're closer than I am though I think :)

Man that's a nice looking swing! Only a couple minor things stand out to me, your weight stays on your right leg and your left leg stays very straight on the backswing. A slight OTT the top move could definitely be causing your miss, especially if you have a slightly strong grip? Freddie should get you sorted in no time.

JN sorry for delay brother, had a rough day yesterday.

As others have eluded to you left leg is like a peg, dead straight. This doesn't allow for proper weight transfer to the left and back to the right. The flex should mirror the flex in the right.

Once this is fixed you'll get behind the ball better. It will also help with a lower body clear, right hip. If you don't clear that hip, you will hook the ball because the a naturally move around you body. Clear the hip and the arms put the club in the correct position, square.

Lastly I think we need to slow your move down. It's very quick and doesn't match your body movements. You need to sync the upper and lower body. A sync'd body swing will generate more power than a fast out of sync swing.

You've been working on your swing, much improved. Visit these tips and you'll be ready for the MC fairways.

Thanks everyone!

As others have eluded to you left leg is like a peg, dead straight. This doesn't allow for proper weight transfer to the left and back to the right. The flex should mirror the flex in the right.

Once this is fixed you'll get behind the ball better. It will also help with a lower body clear, right hip. If you don't clear that hip, you will hook the ball because the a naturally move around you body. Clear the hip and the arms put the club in the correct position, square.

Lastly I think we need to slow your move down. It's very quick and doesn't match your body movements. You need to sync the upper and lower body. A sync'd body swing will generate more power than a fast out of sync swing.

You've been working on your swing, much improved. Visit these tips and you'll be ready for the MC fairways.

Thank you for pointing out these particular things that will make my game better, Freddie. Never knew how straight my left leg is during my swing, and how jerky my move is. Definitely need to smoothen that out.

Thanks everyone!

Thank you for pointing out these particular things that will make my game better, Freddie. Never knew how straight my left leg is during my swing, and how jerky my move is. Definitely need to smoothen that out.

The move isn't jerky at all just out of sync. If upper body swing got it done, you'd be in prime shape

The move isn't jerky at all just out of sync. If upper body swing got it done, you'd be in prime shape

Ah, thanks for the clarification! Time to get to work.

There seems to be something with your alignment. It appears you are aiming at a water hazard.

There seems to be something with your alignment. It appears you are aiming at a water hazard.

Hahaha, my backyard is one big hazard!

Jersey, your swing has come a long way from the hole of the day video where you took that 15 on a par 3. :D

Seriously, love your follow through. Very nice! Keep at it!

Losts of good pointers here. Agree with the back leg flex, and chin up help shoulder turn. One other thing, the takeway looks to be bit inside the plane. This is one of my biggest issues causing to either get stuck and slicing or trying to get through it and pull hooking. What do you thing Panda?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Losts of good pointers here. Agree with the back leg flex, and chin up help shoulder turn. One other thing, the takeway looks to be bit inside the plane. This is one of my biggest issues causing to either get stuck and slicing or trying to get through it and pull hooking. What do you thing Panda?

kinda agree..was going to say handle in club head out feel (alla rickey fowler).. But that is a major major change.. His setup is all he really needs..changing the motion just complicates matters at times. One step at a time..when he masters the above tips...then maybe work on a few sequence issues. Too much on ones plate can be disastrous...been there done that almost my whole career,,too hard and not enough time

mm

I think when you start talking plane it mucks up the process. No two swings are alike yet they still get it done. Tour players swing their swing, it's grooved. There aren't looking for planes, they are looking at key check points through out the swing. Average golfers should be doing the same.

i had this problem, and it was because my grip was too strong... check your hands and setup, then stand up straight and extend your arms out all the way... if your grip is too strong the club face will close... if you already have a slight outside-in swing (slight fade you mentioned), mixing this with the closed face can create that nasty pull hook

Back