C-Mac13

Addicted
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for some advise on improving my ball direction. My typical miss especially with my woods and driver is a hook. That's all hooks including pull hooks and the occasional snap hook. I think I have the fear of the hook so ingrained now that I have this high finish that I'm sure isn't helping matters. Any input would be appreciated.

This was last night with a 5 iron.
http://www.ubersense.com/video/view/hJy2nO2A?e=33990

A few weeks ago with the 3 wood.
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dirtman13/media/IMG_1348_zpsd1262e69.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

Not a swing guru by any means, first thing I saw was your club face pointing strait up to the sky at the peak of your backswing. This might make getting back to square troublesom

Not sure what your grip is like, but if it's strong you might try weakening it some and see what happens. There could potentially be numerous causes though.

I'm voting this for best thread title of the year. I'm still laughing :D

Sent from my ADR6300

Not a swing guru by any means, first thing I saw was your club face pointing strait up to the sky at the peak of your backswing. This might make getting back to square troublesom
I notice that as well. Funny thing is I don't believe I have a strong grip and I don't seem to bow my wrist. My left thumb is just barely to the right of the Golf Pride logo.

Not sure what your grip is like, but if it's strong you might try weakening it some and see what happens. There could potentially be numerous causes though.
As mentioned I don't believe I have a strong grip but just maybe I really don't know what strong is.

As mentioned I don't believe I have a strong grip but just maybe I really don't know what strong is.

It's basically the amount of cup in your wrist during the swing. "Cup" being if you held your arm out straight and made a fist and lift your knuckles towards the sky, that represents cup. Moving your wrist towards the ground would be bowed. The more cupped your wrist is the stronger your grip is. This all refers to your left wrist btw. So if your wrist is straight when you grip the club that would be considered a weak grip.

It's basically the amount of cup in your wrist during the swing. "Cup" being if you held your arm out straight and made a fist and lift your knuckles towards the sky, that represents cup. Moving your wrist towards the ground would be bowed. The more cupped your wrist is the stronger your grip is. This all refers to your left wrist btw. So if your wrist is straight when you grip the club that would be considered a weak grip.

That makes sense. I'm going to see what happens tonight at the range. Thanks

IMG]

Agree..hope title is golf related? If not, if you are happy with this career choice..than by all means continue

IMG]

Agree..hope title is golf related? If not, if you are happy with this career choice..than by all means continue
Yea I was hoping the title would actually draw some attention to maybe actually get some responses. I guess some may not appreciate my humor. :confused2:

So I ended up talking with the pro at the course last night and he gave me some things to work on. According to him my arms are out racing my body, my path is a little too much inside to out mostly due to a improper shoulder turn, too fast of a tempo, and I'm not staying connect.

One other thing which actually kind of blew my mind was he had move my right thumb to on top of my middle and ring finger and then take a swing. I was astonished to see I hit the ball almost perfectly straight each time. He explained that what I was doing was putting to much pressure on the club with my right thumb on the downswing which was tightening my upper forearm muscles and throwing the club out a little and closing the club face.

I'm not Freddie, but I struggle with this shot as well. If your ball is hooking, it means that your club path is more in to out than where your clubface is at impact. You can open the face all you want, but if you don't change your path, you'll just start hitting pushes with an open clubface. You have to feel like you are swinging out-to-in to fix the path. It's MUCH easier said than done, I struggle with it a lot especially when I haven't been playing much. Best of luck.

I'm not Freddie, but I struggle with this shot as well. If your ball is hooking, it means that your club path is more in to out than where your clubface is at impact. You can open the face all you want, but if you don't change your path, you'll just start hitting pushes with an open clubface. You have to feel like you are swinging out-to-in to fix the path. It's MUCH easier said than done, I struggle with it a lot especially when I haven't been playing much. Best of luck.
It defiantly is much easier said than done. The pro yesterday really helped me understand my shoulder turn and how the way I was turning them was contributing to the inside to out path. It's really tough to change that when I have been doing a different way for so long.

Exactly what I see. Your club face is closed at the top of the back swing, making it very easily to hook the ball. If you can get the face at the top to line up more with your plane, it will make it easier to hit it straight. This guy does a decent job of explaining it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5D-_Lj5Uao

That's a great video. Thanks for that.

Sounds like you got your fix. Let me know if it comes back.

Not a swing guru. but when looking at the video it almost looks like u are setting up for a hook. Seems like a closed stance but face of club seems closed as well. Dont know if the video fools me, but it sure looks that way. Lay a club straight so u know where u are aiming, put the feet along the club. Also try and make a small pause at the top of the backswing with longer irons and woods. It helps me when I get a too quick transition in the backswing. Did that make sence at all?

Makes sense. Thanks

my miss is a hook as well , im going to try the thumb tip .
martin hall has a great drill on you tube , sorry don't know how
to link
but as has been previously mentioned it entails changing ones swing path
martin says to place a tee at 5 oclock and on your take away
stay outside the tee, this has helped me a lot. I can say it will take time to trust the feel
especially on the course,good luck

my miss is a hook as well , im going to try the thumb tip .
martin hall has a great drill on you tube , sorry don't know how
to link
but as has been previously mentioned it entails changing ones swing path
martin says to place a tee at 5 oclock and on your take away
stay outside the tee, this has helped me a lot. I can say it will take time to trust the feel
especially on the course,good luck
I'm continuing to keep the thumb off to the left and it has helped. More importantly I have learned that my swing path is way to flat which was one of the main issues. Last weekend I played a round and 90% of my shots faded to the right.

I was born a hooker myself. Been hooking most of my life but I started working on a swing plane change during time off caused by knee replacement surgery. You can practice your take away in your home. When I started back playing, I use a little pre shot routine where I practice my take away a couple of times by feeling the club going out and up. Along with the swing plane modification I decided no more quick take away. I use a tempo count in my head that keeps a good rhythm. Good luck man as being a hooker can put ya in a bad place :alien:

Progress Update

Progress Update

I have spent some time with a new instructor and I have been making great progress. The biggest issue we have discovered was I was holding the club too loose and it was rotating closed in my hand on the back swing. As I started my downswing I would tighten the grip come in to impact closed and bam. Hook!!

We have worked on other things such as tempo, not shifting upper body in down swing, tempo, a little steeper takeaway, and tempo. It's really amazing how much controlling your tempo can do to improve your contact.

More importantly I have found a great instructor that really focuses on improving my swing versus trying to get me to swing like some pro.

Back