Which part of the ball do you "Sight"

Eraff

Reaction score
Handicap
Irons and Hybrids--- I played around with sighting the front of the ball today. Still concentrating on Target, NOT contact, but the "sighting" was interesting. I'm trying to get more compression...any thoughts/ideas on this?

I aim a couple inches in front of the ball. If I aim at the ball I tend to hit behind it. It's helped a lot. The guy at the TaylorMade Performance Center had me doing that.

I just look at the ball, for better or worse.

I aim a couple inches in front of the ball. If I aim at the ball I tend to hit behind it. It's helped a lot. The guy at the TaylorMade Performance Center had me doing that.

I agree. I look at the front of the ball on all clubs except the driver, and I start every swing with my hands well in front of the ball at address, again with the exception of the driver, to hit ball first, then the divot comes. With driver, I'm behind the ball, so I keep my eyes on the back of the ball hitting up on it.

Either a sun glare spot on the ball or a point in the ground just in front of the ball where I want the center of the club to pass over.

I've honestly never given it any thought other than putting where I look at a spot of grass directly behind the back of the ball.

I usually look at the back of the ball. Lately I've had problems making good contact. Remembering an old Jack Nicklaus tip: Turn my head sideways. Look at the ball with left eye.

This gets my head and center of gravity behind ball.

Also, my thought is turn until left shoulder is under chin. Swing while looking at ball or where ball was, then swing until right shoulder pushes face foward target.

Don't look up too early.

If the shot is good you'll see it. If it was bad, you didn't want to see it .

This is just me. It works when my swing gets out of whack.

Jack

a dimple on the back of the ball.

The grass immediately in front of the ball.

I think focusing on a point is part of the issue with most amateur golfers. It doesn't promote swinging the golf club as much as it promotes hitting a spot. And hitting at a spot is a huge issue in the amateur golf community.

I'm a big fan of swinging through to your finish and allowing the ball to get in the way. Everyone's goal.should be to swing through to a balanced finished. If you want to draw it, make sure it's and inside out delivery. A fade is out to in and a straight ball is down the line back and down the line through.

Back