Do you play casual rounds like you do competition rounds?

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
We've all heard it before. When you go to the driving range, make your swings count. Don't just beat balls down the range. Have a purpose with each shot. Practice like you play an actual round of golf.

Lately, I've been considering how I play casual rounds versus how I play competitive rounds, particularly in regard to shot selection. During the typical casual round at my home course (including league rounds), I will try any shot put in front of me. Most of these shots are short game shots (flop shot, bump a hybrid and let the ball run onto the green, etc), but occasionally, I'm faced with trying to bend a ball around a tree, or trying to hit that perfect punch shot through a small window. I would guess that 10% of the time, I hit the shot the way I envisioned and saved myself a stroke. 40% of the time, I hit the shot ok, and at least didn't lose any strokes (when compared to if I had just taken the 'safe' shot). 50% of the time, I mess it up, I end up with double bogey. But I always like to try those shots. I just think it's fun, and it's always nice to know that if it is all on the line, at least it's a shot I've played before.

Compare that to competitive rounds. For the last three years, I've gone into my City Tournament with basically one 'mental game' thought, which is "no double bogeys." I've been relatively successful. When preparing for it, I basically take all of those tricky 'fun' shots out of the bag, and just focus on the 'safe shot' that will ensure that I don't get a double bogey. And hey, I can't argue with my results in the City Tournament the last three years of win-win-T3. I also play 8-10 strokes under my 18 hole casual round average during the city tournament.

Would I (or you) be better off playing my casual rounds with that same "no double bogeys" and "don't try the crazy shot" mentality? Would it make me better in the competitive rounds? Should I save the 'crazy shots' for when I'm just working on my short game?

This is sort of a mental game question. I'm not even sure there is a 'correct' answer. But I'm hoping it spurs some discussion.

~Rock

There is a level of intensity I bring when playing for something on the line. But for the most part, the rounds I play are all the same.

I rarely play casual rounds. There's almost always money on the line.

If I am keeping score, I am trying for the best score regardless of the type of round it is. If I am just out there hitting balls on the course then I will try out things.

I know I play my best golf in competitive rounds or tournament rounds than I do playing with strangers or as a single. Even when I have the casual bets with my buddies, I don't have the "ice in my veins" as I do when something is real on the line.

With that being said, I still have the same amount of fun all the time unless I'm playing absolutely terrible, then I start drinking and I go back to having fun.

I am definitely more aggressive, more often, during a casual round. But, for a golfer that plays in competitions, I believe that is what those rounds are for. So, you can try stuff out. Competition rounds probably have less driver usage and more middle of the green attempts, unless you get into a scenario were a more aggressive play is needed to move up the leaderboard.

If you have a couple of shot options in front of you, is your shot selection different during casual round versus a competitive round?

If you have a couple of shot options in front of you, is your shot selection different during casual round versus a competitive round?

Nope. The thought process is always the same. Where is the worst miss on a shot? Can I expect to get to the green, and if not what distance do I want to lay up to?

Absolutely.

441 and I played very conservative at the right time during the MC and we did it for a reason.

Know your limitations and try to make the lowest score - if you want to win or have a shot at winning.

I would like to have the same focus on shots whether it's competitive or casual but unfortunately the mental side is one of the weaker parts of my game.

About the only thing that changes for me during a competitive round is club selection off the tee. During a casual round, I usually hit driver as much as possible because I enjoy hitting that club. During tournament rounds I'll play to a certain number/avoid hazards.

Yes in casual rounds I'll go for it and press my luck, during a competitive round I'm gonna take the most aggressive shot I know I can pull off.

There is a level of intensity I bring when playing for something on the line. But for the most part, the rounds I play are all the same.
Agreed, there may be a few very casual rounds or scramble that I take quite lightly, but otherwise my focus is about the same all the time, but I know I've had a few rounds, very competitive, that I was as focused as I've ever been.

I play every round trying to get the ball in the hole. I still go for some sucker shots, but I'm getting better about it. Every round for me right now is #THPLegacy prep, so I take them all seriously.

Never played a competitive game. I just play to try to do the best score I can. How the other guy(s) do makes no difference at all... I must be the most uncompetitive person there is lol

I will try the low percentage shots during casual round, to practice, just in case I get in a spot where I need to try and pull one off during a competitive round. this way I have a little experience with the low percentage shots

I do play differently when there is something on the line during a match.
I would say that, if you are trying your absolute best every round, always playing smart, and taking big numbers out of play, your hcp should drop.
If you use casual rounds for "practice" and post those scores, then your hcp will be a few shots higher than it might otherwise be.
I do not think one is better or worse than the other, unless someone calls you on it and you have to answer to a "higher" authority than your casual round buddies.

For me there are two types of "casual" rounds: a non-tournament round for which I'm still trying to post my best score & a practice round where I'm working on specific things on the course.

When I'm trying to post a score, I approach the round just like I would a competitive round. It doesn't matter if I'm playing with friends or not.

If it's a practice round then I will try different shots depending on the situation and what I'm trying to accomplish with the practice. I will also hit an additional shot here and there if pacing allows after a bad swing or to try a different type of swing/shot. For most practice rounds I will usually post a score as I'm still trying to score with the first ball. The exception is if I play a Worst Ball or Best Ball round.

I play the same in all rounds. If I changed from how I normally play in my normal everyday round, and played differently in an competitive round, I'd be beat at the first tee.

I prepare differently before a competition round. If course I haven't played before or in a while, do a bit of recon beforehand to plan strategies for holes. Arrive at course early for a solid warm-up and allowing plenty of time for putting practice to get the feel of green speeds.

Last edited:
My casual rounds are just that...casual. I have certain groups that I can play more competitive with and others not so much. I don't mind a casual game. I deal with enough stress daily at work. I'm not being paid to play golf.

I try to play every round like it's the same, but I have to admit, when it's a tourney or some money is on the line, my competitiveness and my intensity goes up a notch or two.

I try to have fun regardless. I'd say I take tourneys more seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I approach both rounds the same, but once on the course I take a competition round much more seriously. Actually marking ball position for lift/clean/place, proper tee order, and never walking ahead of a playing partner are small things I do in competition that I don't do in a casual round.

Casual rounds are ultimately about fun first and score second, and Tournament rounds are about score first and fun second. Part of what makes THP events so special is that they are Tournaments where fun comes first anyways.

I find myself not focusing as much during a casual round. I was just thinking last weekend while I was playing that I needed to approach the casual rounds with more intensity and focus.

Back