Playing wtih "bad" players

Thanks guys. Puts everything in perspective. I had a terrible round yesterday and was getting super frustrated. My wife told me I was behaving like one of our friends that gets super pissed off if his game is off. I immediately changed my attitude. I still sucked the rest of the day but I never want to be "that guy".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't start playing regularly until 2008ish... at the time I was a complete novice shooting 120+ and my golf buddies were in the 80/90 range so there was potential for me to slow things down considerably.

I made a habit out of 1) not sweating the score, 2) not hitting every ball - if I'm in the woods and they're in the FW I'd just pick up and hit from their ball, 3) choosing not to get angry and frustrated with myself and 4) making a conscious effort to NOT slow them down.

As a result they kept inviting me back - and I got the benefit of playing with and learning from players who were much better than me.

These days I'm down to a 19 handicap and average in the 90s so I'm no scratch golfer but I'm trying to pay it forward and accommodate/encourage the novice in the group the same way my buddies did for me.

I'll play with just about anyone EXCEPT the hyper-competitive types who view each round like it's Sunday at Augusta, get mad, throw things, whatever. I just don't have the inclination to surround myself with that kind of negative energy.

Katman a great question ... I think some of us are hesitant to reach out to a better golfer and invite them to play, because you do not want to be a burden ... Example, I need to play white tees, but I would assume an 8 handicap prefers blue ...

Even here, THP has your back. At a typical THP event there is the "main" round on Saturday. But most participants also set up extra rounds on Friday and Sunday. For the extra rounds, there are no set tees and if a group you are originally assigned to wants to play a different set than you do that is no big deal either. You can either play your preferred tees being assured that nobody else will care, or switch off to a group playing your tees. It's VERY relaxed.

For the main round, they usually do a split tee box where the 3s and 5s will play from the whites and the 4s will play from the blues. But you are also part of a team, and the format will help you in that its either a format that allows for picking the best tee shot, or you'll take the best score for the hole. Either way the pressure is lessened somewhat.

I don't mind playing with anyone as long as they can keep a decent pace. If you're putting for triple or quad and looking at the putt like its for the US Open then that would be annoying to me but I can enjoy playing with anyone.

I have no threshold for a playing partner. The way I look at it is, we all had to start somewhere, so if you are trying to play the game correctly and are having fun doing it....count me in.

same as every reply on here.....have fun and play.

I hope to live up to my golf history, but also know that sometimes you just have bad days! Don't worry about a thing! THP events are FUN, not about a score.

I made a habit out of 1) not sweating the score, 2) not hitting every ball - if I'm in the woods and they're in the FW I'd just pick up and hit from their ball, 3) choosing not to get angry and frustrated with myself and 4) making a conscious effort to NOT slow them down.

Same for me. When I first started I was spraying the ball everywhere and the guys that I played with were all single digits (with one scratch). I would go to Target/Dick's and buy the mesh bag of the cheapest balls they had. If I hit one into the woods I didn't spend time looking for the ball, I would just drop one from the fairway with them. Once I hit double par on a hole I would pick it up. They kept inviting me back not just because we are all good friends but because I could "play" just as fast as them as I didn't care about the score.

Now that I'm a 12 handicap most of the times I play is as a single since I don't have any golf partners now that I moved to Cincinnati. The only time I get frustrated with a bad golfer is someone that reads the green for EVERY SINGLE putt, along with 10 practice swings for every shot. I'm sorry but maybe those 5 minutes you spent analyzing a 5ft putt might have changed your score from a 125 to a 124...

I'll play with anyone as long as they just enjoy the game and keep a good pace!

This question is likely bouncing around the heads of a lot of THPers...at least the ones that don't have single digit handicaps. It's the question that had kept me (so far) from any THP events, well that and money and vacation time.

How bad does your golfing partner or foursome member have to be that it affects your enjoyment of the game? I basically play bogey golf, sometimes putting up a snowman and sometimes getting a par. But I worry that I annoy others. I've played with some worse golfers as well but never been annoyed at all with a bad player. I only ever get annoyed with angry players (ones that throw or break clubs on bad shots).

So, if you don't mind...how good are you and what's your threshold for a playing partner?

do NOT let that keep you from enjoying great times!!!

When I was younger playing hoops, my game went to the next level only when I played people above my level...and golf is a lot the same way...

I play with a bunch of players better and worse (from a score perspective)....When I play with better players than me, I learn about the game, when I play with players who are learning, I also learn about myself and the game...both are important for the game...and you can learn from anyone....One of our groups worst players (score wise) is an INCREDIBLE example to us all about how to handle bad shots...they do NOT affect him at all....and as a group we have gotten better because of it!!!

Moral of the story, I treasure and enjoy playing, and spending time with good people, do not rob yourself or others of the joy of getting better!!!

Last edited:
Wow...thanks for all the replies...it definitely underscores what is important to THPers!

Also, never forget....none of us are as good as we are while behind the keyboards :)

Keep up the pace of play and have a good attitude and I couldn't care less what you shoot!

I can validate this statement. Jlukes watched me shoot well over 100 the 1st time I played with him and he was cool about it

This question is likely bouncing around the heads of a lot of THPers...at least the ones that don't have single digit handicaps. It's the question that had kept me (so far) from any THP events, well that and money and vacation time.

How bad does your golfing partner or foursome member have to be that it affects your enjoyment of the game? I basically play bogey golf, sometimes putting up a snowman and sometimes getting a par. But I worry that I annoy others. I've played with some worse golfers as well but never been annoyed at all with a bad player. I only ever get annoyed with angry players (ones that throw or break clubs on bad shots).

So, if you don't mind...how good are you and what's your threshold for a playing partner?

Katman,
As long as you have a good time when you play and play with people you enjoy being around, nobody's score should ever matter to another player. This is a Tough Damn Game whether you are a Low Handicapper or someone who is relatively new to the game. I have always said that this is the "Greatest Game that there is" and we should all enjoy it for just that, a game. If more people who play (in general) would go out for the experience of spending time with people they enjoy being around, the feeling of accomplishment from hitting a well struck shot, and being thankful to have the opportunity to experience this game (we are all so blessed to be able to play) the Golf Course would be a better place. A little etiquette and common sense go a long way to making it an enjoyable experience for all. Play away and don't fret about others and what they may or may not think about your game, just enjoy yourself!!!

Hoping You Hit Many
Fairways and Greens
Johnny Hack

For me its not how bad you play but the pace you play at. Taking 8 practice swings before every shot when you are shooting 100+ is doing nothing to help your game. All that does is slow things down.

Also never ever shy away from a THP event because of what you shoot, none of us care about that.

I second this one.

I've actually found that playing different tees from your playing partner can (in most cases) increase speed of play. I most often play golf with my father. He is a single digit player but with his growing age has lost a ton of distance. We decided to play some different tees because our games were becoming a little less competitive if we played the same tees. On many of the courses there is not a huge difference between the backs and the forwards but it allows me to hit first instead of having to wait for the group infront of us if I played up, and it allows him to not have to try and carry 230 over crap to get to the fairway. I'm a strong advocate of playing the tee that makes you comfortable.

As far as play goes, when I'm not playing with my dad or jspangs, I play with people who are more out to enjoy time away from their wives and drink some beer. With pace of play the only thing that bothers me is having to wait every single shot. I don't mind waiting off the tee but waiting each shot can easily wear you down mentally as well as makes me run out of beverages way to soon!

I played yesterday with a friend that was having a truly bad day. He pretty much couldn't do much right and had a ping-pong hole to boot. He would have putted better with his wedge. He had a couple boomer drives that he followed with a chunk. He topped one ball so badly it went nearly straight up and got him about 10 yards. I was so surprised I broke out laughing (didn't mean to) and he said "1/16" higher and I could have called it a practice swing. I followed up with asking him if he needed me to give him his new yardage to the pin. He had a couple of holes where I could tell he was getting frustrated but all in all he focused on the good things about the game (and especially focused on the cart girl who was a sweetie).

To be honest, I think it was harder for me and his other friend to watch him play that way than it was for him.

One of the funniest moments is when his drive forced him to take his second shot atop a gopher burrow. He stood on it with his hands behind him shaking his head like a pitcher shaking off his catcher. Busted me up.

I'm not a good golfer by any stretch, but I'm playing with a guy today who is top 3 worst golfers I've ever played with. but he's a very nice guy, and has great on-course etiquette, so we'll have a great time. the cycle I fall into is being overly enthusiastic about someone's good shots when they are playing poorly. it can come off condescending and patronizing when I'm just trying to be encouraging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys who suddenly get mad and yell at themselves are the worst. For some reason they rattle me more than anything else on the course besides a near unannounced miss.

I can attest to the many mentions of THP events being very friendly, and people genuinely enjoying the event more than worrying about scores.
I played in an event at NJ a couple years back and shot a 110 (give or take a couple strokes) can't remember exactly. I was fuming on the inside and even let it spill out a little, but nobody seemed to be rattled by me in the least. Everybody had fun, even though I robbed myself of it on that day.

Turned around and played the next day with a few guys that had stayed behind for another round. Shot in the mid-80's that very next day, and it wasn't a bit different, as far as attitudes go, from one day to the next. Truly good guys on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Freddie might be!

Freddie isn't all that. I saw him miss a putt once...

As for skill level at a THP event, it truly is a nonissue. No one lets score get in the way of having fun at a THP event - ever.

Back