Golf Nostalgia - what do you miss most?

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you miss most from what I would call the classic/bygone era of golf, the time before metalwoods and graphite shafts became the norm? Or in the case of the younguns (myself included), what do you most wish you could have experienced? It could be equipment related, it could be the original iteration of a course that has since changed or closed, or it could be any perceived differences in behavior or values. Pretty open ended really.

For me, it's a time when there were no power golf carts. I know that they are a positive to people who could not otherwise golf, and I am behind that 100%, but I'd still love to play my local courses without seeing a cart. I semi experienced it in England (carts are fairly uncommon), and I saw it at Chambers Bay, but most of the time carts are ubiquitous here in the US.

The sound of metal spikes on the concrete/asphalt. Clickity-clack.

I don't miss slipping on concrete/asphalt while wearing metal spikes.

Since I didn't start playing golf less than 20 years, I don't remember too much besides, the all leather golf bags.

I would say maybe classier look on the course. Seems like golfers in the past really stood out in there outfit looking nice and now it seems its really gone down hill. Like sometimes when I show up wearing a nice polo and my golf pants I feel out of place.

Back