Membership or just play anywhere

Dgvillere

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm debating a membership semi close but I enjoy playing multiple courses and feel if I get a membership somewhere I am then obligated to play there or else it's just wasted money. How do you feel about it ?

Both are good options depending on what someone wants.
If they are getting a membership to a country club strictly for golf and to try and save money, it will not work out in most cases.
However if they enjoy the social side of the club, and having fixed games weekly it can really be worth it.

Membership is my choice. I love the aspect of being part of something. I still play many different courses, but I enjoy my home course and know I can go play their whenever I want. It's a pretty rural course, never need a tee time or anything like that.

Id prefer to be a club member. However the local courses here are asking too much for a membership in my oppinion for the course. So for now I play by the round untill one day I relocate

Since my husband and I both love to play a ton of golf, it is smart for us to join a club. However, we joined a country club and found we were better off just joining a club for the golf, not the social life so we switched to another course this year. It was about 1/2 the price. We still play at other places occasionally but do golf mostly at the course we join because it gets really expensive with two golf addicts in the house.

When the kids move out or when we retire = membership. Until then I'll just pay per round, otherwise I would not gain anything IMO.

When the kids move out or when we retire = membership. Until then I'll just pay per round, otherwise I would not gain anything IMO.

That is what I was thinking. I am a college student right now and I can get a membership for $300 so it might be worth it this year not after that. I calcualated I would need to play at least every other week to break even. I plan on playing a lot more than that so I am thinking I will do it this year.

If you don't have a regular group you play with, a membership is nice because most all courses have a weekend group you can get into.

We end up doing a husband/wife membership at one of the local muni courses around here. I find it gets us out more - we're not as worried about not being able to finish as it gets dark, and I'll go out for 27 holes some days. It probably doesn't save me money, but I find it gets me playing more, and I like that.

I belong to a club because it allows me to play much more golf than I would if I tried to play the local public courses. I can show up when I want, play without waiting on crowds, and leave when I need to. I also like the clubhouse a lot, so I eat/drink there frequently. Even though I play at my club most of the time, I like playing other courses and still do so.

I like my membership to my club more for the quality of our practice area. The weekly games are nice as well

I've been on both sides of the coin. I actually enjoyed the country club more, because even though I paid a little more, my charge account always had cash in it. So then at the turn I could always grab a drink and a dog or something and just charge it rather than pull out my wallet. Plus the course was better, and that was nice too. Now, with two young kids, I don't play as much as I use to or would like to, so the money factor it the biggest deal. That will change later on down the road, I'm sure.

I've been pondering this for this season, which would be my first time. It all comes down to value for me. My home course has most of its membership options being no real discount from standad greens fees, but there is option that, if I played 50 rounds, would come out to $37 a round. Normal price is 70.
The caveat is that all of hose rounds would have to be played after 2pm, which I do most of the time anyway.

The other option would be to scoop up cheap tee times on golfnow, which is a viable option as well. I just haven't decided yet.

sent without the boss's knowledge...

Pre-travel team soccer: membership
Current; travel-team soccer AND lacrosse: play where ever, when ever
Off-to-college time: membership

I miss the routine matches and camaraderie, but my boys come first. There will be time for golf, and lots of it.

had a muni-club membership for 2 years. Switched to golfnow - played more golf & after the dust settled, less than half the expense. Total golf bottomfeeder here - I just enjoy getting great tee time deals on golfnow. Problem withe EVERY SINGLE COURSE in my county - if you buy a membership, you still have to pay for the cart fee, which is $15-20 per player. So, if the wife & I want to play on a weekend - it costs us $40 to play a course we've already paid an annual membership for ... can't stomach that (if I had knees left & could walk, would make more sense). I'm a golfnow'er now ...can usually find somewhere cheaper to play that the cart fee at my old course.

Last edited:
I wish more states had a type of thing Virginia does. They have a membership club that involves multiple courses. It's relatively cheap, and covers all green fees at certain course at certain times. Some courses have very strict rules as to when the card can be used, but others are more open with it. But only paying for a cart, can't beat that at all.

I joined a local course this year - first time I've ever joined a club. Nominal fee allows me to play monday thru friday, with a cart, for free. Plus its only 2-3 miles from home. I'll still play other courses once in a while on the weekend, with some of my golf buddies, but for the most part I plan on sticking to this one course. After the year is over I'll evaluate if it was worth it or not.

For me it'll be a membership, because it will allow me to play 9 when I can which I refused to do last yr. I can also go out in just squeeze in whatever holes I can before dark sets in. I will be playing other courses to make sure my game travels.

It's really a personal preference an upto each individual what works for them best.

Both are good options depending on what someone wants.
If they are getting a membership to a country club strictly for golf and to try and save money, it will not work out in most cases.
However if they enjoy the social side of the club, and having fixed games weekly it can really be worth it.

This is so true^^^^^^!

KellyBo and I joined a Country Club for one year and although we met many wonderful people and enjoyed the heck out of the golf course, we did not use all that came with that type membership. We now are members at a course that has an excellent learning center, awesome range, chipping green with sand trap, putting green and par 3 course where you can sharpen your short game. It's based on golf only without the benefits of a social type club environment to include swimming pool, tennis, dining, etc. which we never used. $2500.00 dollars less per year and same conditioned golf course. No brainer for us.

lots of benefits to a private course that don't translate when you just look at cost. Typically a faster pace of play, nicer facilities, and a staff that cares more about their members than the average muni. At least that's the experience I've had. Of course there are plenty of very nice public courses to play but at least around here those are the expensive ones. 2-3 rounds per month at that type of places is equal to or more than what I pay to be a member at a private course. A few times I've also paid $50+ to play one round at a public course and felt like they just wanted to get my money and get me out the door. I do still play public courses occasionally and sometimes it's great, but the overall experience at my home course is much, much better as a rule.

I like to say I'm a member of GolfNow. I play a ton of courses for really great prices. I'd love to be a member somewhere one day, but for my situation right now, GolfNow is perfect.

The country clubs where I live are WAY to expensive to join, getting a membership at a muni to mean seems like a waste, I primarily play at the same place (5 courses) but I do mix it up quite a bit and play other courses

A lot of the membership courses in my area have reciprocity deals where you can play sister clubs for vastly reduced rates. That might be something to check into.

What JB said.

You can manage your expenses better as a non-member since you can opt not to play if its a tight week/month.

However there is a lot to a membership that can really expend your enjoyment including tournaments, practice areas, partial rounds, and parties if that's your thing.

Back