PING i25 Driver - THP Review Thread

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
I will be doing the frontpage review on the new i25 driver from PING alongside the irons, this one is a whole lot of interesting based on looks as well as the initial buzz we are hearing which is incredibly positive thus far.

Information on the i25 driver from PING:

For all ability levels, the multi-material i25 driver helps reduce spin while optimizing launch launch conditions for greater distance and accuracy. A high strength-to-weight ratio Ti 8-1-1 body is joined to a variable-thickness Ti 6-4 face, ensuring maximum energy transfer for generating faster ball speeds for greater distance. High-density tungsten sole weights lower the CG to reduce spin for a flatter ball flight and a landing angle that maximizes roll out. Strategic placement of the weights significantly increases MOI, which means you'll spend more time in the fairway.

Screenshot_7-XL.jpg

The same width as a golf ball, patented racing stripes on the crown offer a visual cue (consciously or sub-consciously) that can lead to multiple benefits. They can help you aim the clubface accurately, align your body to the target, and assist in taking the club back on the proper path. All of which creates more-consistent clubface alignment at impact, a crucial ingredient to improved driving.

Screenshot_2-XL.jpg

Using Trajectory Tuning technology, the standard 8.5º, 9.5º and 10.5º lofts are adjustable +-1/2º. The lightweight, adjustable hosel maintains the same outer diameter and mass of PING’s traditional fixed hosels and provides the benefits of adjustability without sacrificing the performance that’s often lost in clubs with bulkier designs.

Screenshot_3-XL.jpg

To optimize performance with the i25 driver, PING engineered an industry-first shaft series that offers different weights and flex profiles without altering the club’s swingweight. Called PWR (Performance, Weighting, and Responsiveness), the shafts are matched by the weight and flex that fits the motion of your golf swing and your desired shot shape. The lighter versions promote higher ball flight and can reduce fade-type misses; the heavier versions promote lower flight and can reduce draw-type misses.

Screenshot_1-XL.jpg

Screenshot_4-XL.jpg

Screenshot_5-L.jpg

Specifications/Shaft-Options:

Screenshot_6-L.jpg

Screenshot_8-L.jpg

Initial Thoughts:

Much like the i25 irons, I was pretty critical of the look of this one initially, mainly because at first glance you see the stripes and they are just so un-traditional PING like. That said, there are WAY more subdued than the initial pic's indicated and when you read, look at, and think about it the concept makes a good bit of sense too, not much different than the different alignment aids we use on putters.

The two-tone matte crown finish is tremendous in hand and the polished sole screams modern-classic PING as well. The rear weight screw and tungsten weights on both sided of it along the real edge of the head definitely stand out but not in an abstract way, it fits well with the overall head design.

The face depth isn't as deep as I anticipated (not a bad thing at all) as it is really a tweener to what we are seeing a lot of today, not massive but not shallow either. At address the look is a good, its a solid package there and it will be nice to get it out on the course and behind a ball on the teebox.

As always, if you have ANY questions or if you have spent time with the driver and want to comment feel free to jump in here with me!

In hand Pictures:

DSC_0011-L.jpg

DSC_0012-L.jpg

DSC_0007-L.jpg

DSC_0015-L.jpg

DSC_0014-L.jpg

DSC_0017-L.jpg

DSC_0018-L.jpg

DSC_0019-L.jpg

DSC_0020-L.jpg

DSC_0021-L.jpg

DSC_0022-L.jpg

DSC_0023-L.jpg

DSC_0026-L.jpg

DSC_0025-L.jpg

Great pics dude. I said it before, but that pattern is what I chose for that crown wrap I reviewed. It really does work to line up the club.

I spent a good bit of time with mine out on the range today. It is much much louder than the i20 at times the sound surprised me a bit as I had only hit it indoors before today. Not the loudest out there just very different than the i20.

Like the i20 I still think the i25 is fade bias. The club does not want to go left which is something I like but may not be for everyone. That said it does not seem as fade bias as past I series drivers.

I was hitting mine with the veylix Rome but did throw the stock pwr 75 x flex in there for a few balls. I think these shafts are going to surprise a lot of people in a good way. However the different profiles based on weight make it a must to hit a stiffer flex or heavier shaft before you order it. Don't think just because you like one of the shafts you will like a stiffer flex or heavier shaft. The ones I have hit have all felt and performed very differently.

Overall this club is a long low spin bomber from my observations so far. That said it is not the lowest launching head by any means. My RFX launches a good bit lower however my spin numbers were much better with the i25.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jman your pics are awesome! Hawk is right about that. I'm not in the market for a driver, but I'm interested to see how it compares the the I20. My dad is looking to upgrade this year.

I have noticed Ping is for better or worse calling all of their clubs game improvement clubs , would you consider this or the g25 to be more suited to that end, meaning is one or the other more forgiving?

edit: I like the way you layed out the initial info , great pics and info to accompany them.

Really love the looks of this club. After some of what I heard with results I am going to have to put this bad boy to the test.

I love the matte finish. It's so nice on that head, and makes the graphics nowhere near as obtrusive as I thought they would be.

Can't wait to hear if the inclusion of lower tungsten weighting is an ideal way to drop spin by lowering the CG. That's something I'll follow closely through this.

Thanks for the pics and thoughts James!

I have noticed Ping is for better or worse calling all of their clubs game improvement clubs , would you consider this or the g25 to be more suited to that end, meaning is one or the other more forgiving?

My opinion is the i25 is not what I consider a game improvement driver. The g25 is what I would put in that category in my opinion . That said the i25 is a good bit more forgiving than the i20 and much much more forgiving than the i15 .

You picture taking machine!

Great looking offering, took a few swipes Friday morning and really liked what I saw and what I heard with that solid thwack at impact.

Expect this to be a very solid performer.

I love the matte finish. It's so nice on that head, and makes the graphics nowhere near as obtrusive as I thought they would be.

Can't wait to hear if the inclusion of lower tungsten weighting is an ideal way to drop spin by lowering the CG. That's something I'll follow closely through this.

For me it has been one of the lowest spin heads I have hit that still has some forgiveness. A few out there have been lower spin for me (yonex 380, some of the Taylor made tour issue heads) however all those were so punishing on mishits.
On the monitor the i25 is lower spin for me than the sldr, my RAZR fit Xtreme , covert and the Big Bertha alpha (heads I have directly compared to on the same day) that said it launches higher than all of those .

For me it has been one of the lowest spin heads I have hit that still has some forgiveness. A few out there have been lower spin for me (yonex 380, some of the Taylor made tour issue heads) however all those were so punishing on mishits.
On the monitor the i25 is lower spin for me than the sldr, my RAZR fit Xtreme , covert and the Big Bertha alpha (heads I have directly compared to on the same day) that said it launches higher than all of those .

this is great personal info LB, thanks! I look forward to getting one of these on a launch monitor to see what it does for me in terms of spin.

Did you stick with a familiar loft or make a change?

edit: I like the way you layed out the initial info , great pics and info to accompany them.

I wouldn't go that far, they have the letter classifications and separate lines for a reason, but the job of any company is to produce a more playable head in the end and tell the story of how they did that, traditionally PING has been very good at bringing playability to all of their clubs (the Anser driver can be considered an exception IMO).

The G series is built to spin more and launch higher, so combine that wish shape and MOI adaptations then it will typically be the more forgiving head while the I series settles into that lower spin category that many consider a players club.

Thanks brother, the tungsten is intriguing as heck to me, it'll be fun to put to work and see what is what in the end no doubt.

I do quite enjoy the looks of this driver. Knowing that you have hit many if not all of the top offerings from this year, I am very intrigued to hear how this one stacks up.

this is great personal info LB, thanks! I look forward to getting one of these on a launch monitor to see what it does for me in terms of spin.

Did you stick with a familiar loft or make a change?

I stuck with a familiar loft went with an 8.5 head and have it turned down half a degree to 8.

That brings up a point for me on this driver as well. Adjustability . It is not the king of adjustability obviously but the hosel blends so well together. It makes swapping out shafts a breeze and that is the thing that has always excited me about adjustable drivers I can order a few shafts and hit them all in the same head during the same practice session to truly compare.

I really think the amount of adjustability is enough as long as you are properly fit for the original loft and as with any ping driver I suggest ordering it digitally lofted from them as the actual head loft is usually a bit higher than what is stated on the club itself.

Great initial thoughts James.

I saw the stripes for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Very subtile.

I wasn't sure about the stripes at 1st, but you are right, they are much more subdued in hand. As someone who's been known have alignment issues from time to time, I could see them being quite helpful.

My opinion is the i25 is not what I consider a game improvement driver. The g25 is what I would put in that category in my opinion . That said the i25 is a good bit more forgiving than the i20 and much much more forgiving than the i15 .

Its why I hate the categories in todays day and age. What makes a club "game improvement"? Lee Westwood likes the G series, wouldnt that make it a "players" driver. He is a player.

I will also say that for all the knocks other companies get about having multiple drivers and not differentiating them, Ping gets a pass and I find that very interesting.

I wasn't sure about the stripes at 1st, but you are right, they are much more subdued in hand. As someone who's been known have alignment issues from time to time, I could see them being quite helpful.

I hear you completely there, traditionally my alignment is a nightmare on the teebox haha

Did you get a chance to do much shaft tinkering when you compared these heads, or were these just the numbers you got from the stock offerings?

Its why I hate the categories in todays day and age. What makes a club "game improvement"? Lee Westwood likes the G series, wouldnt that make it a "players" driver. He is a player.

I will also say that for all the knocks other companies get about having multiple drivers and not differentiating them, Ping gets a pass and I find that very interesting.

Yep, always have for whatever reason, but if its TM or Cally, look out.

Definitely intriguing.

I'm seeing pretty awesome results with this addition to my Irons. I'd love to see if it follows suit with the Driver. It could be a serious game changer for those looking for a low COG low spin head. Penetrating missiles inbound perhaps?

I do agree that it is hard to classify a driver as game improvement or not since it will be different for everyone. What many consider a less forgiving driver may work for someone with a certain type of miss better than what the masses consider the game improvement driver would. All depends on your personal swing and needs.

Have you ever had the J40 on the monitor? I seem to get along with low spin right now.

Did you get a chance to do much shaft tinkering when you compared these heads, or were these just the numbers you got from the stock offerings?

I have hit them all with the veylix Rome. I have also hit them all with their stock offerings. The sldr I hit with the fuel and rip and a couple which I also hit the i25 with. I have hit a pretty large number of shafts in both of those heads.

Yep, always have for whatever reason, but if its TM or Cally, look out.

Definitely intriguing.

I think it is the lack of marketing from ping . Not that they don't market just nothing like TM and Callaway. Those companies are always on peoples mind both good and bad.

I personally find it great that companies come out with more than one driver to cover different types of players.

Back