Callaway Chrome Soft Golf Ball Review Thread

Just got back from the first round of 18 and played this ball.

All I can say is I am very very impressed. Off the driver it is one of if not the longest ball I have played in quite some time while also maintaining great feel and control.

off my hybrid and long irons it just got up and held the line nicely. Nice feel off of these.

Off the mid irons I felt confident it was going to go the correct distance and hold the green.

Off wedges is really where I loved this ball. On short chips it checked up when needed and off of Full shots it was one hop and stop. On one shot from about 115 out I had my gap wedge and caught it just right to about 10 ft. From the flag however when I got closer I noticed the ball mark was about 5 ft. From the flag so it had spun back a good amount

now ow with the putter I have been struggling with feel and distance control the last few seasons. However that was not the case today. Had 12 2-putts, 41-putts and 2 3-putts. Felt great off the white hot putter I have.

All in all I am Very confident in ths balls performance.....

Have I mentioned that freaking love this ball? Its so predictable in every aspect that it boosts my confidence. I just know what this ball will do. No surprises

It snowed here in Michigan yesterday. Woke up to 4.5 inches of snow so my Chrome Softs are still brand spanking new. Reading this thread for the last 3 and a half months, I just want you all to know that you suck. :tongue::tongue:

JK. Just can't wait to try them.

Finally played these. Very nice. As nice as any ball I've hit. The greens were wet and sogged so I am not sure that it would have been much different on the greens if I had wrapped the ball in velcro but I really liked it on irons. So soft and yet it flies.

On the ninth hole (only played 9), I shanked a ~75 yard approach and grabbed a random ball from my bag to try again (playing alone so this was just a training round). Turned out it was some Bullet balls I got for free from Rockbottomgolf at a recent golf show. Let me just say....don't ever hit a Chrome Soft followed by a "Bullet." It was very jarring. Imagine hitting a chunk of gravel after hitting the Chrome Soft. Shudder.

I just grabbed a couple of dozen on ebay being sold by Sports Authority for $27 a dozen, cant wait to give em a try

I just grabbed a couple of dozen on ebay being sold by Sports Authority for $27 a dozen, cant wait to give em a try
Sounds like I need to run out to Sports Authority

Well that is an unreal price, I need pick up some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$27/dozen is a steal. Great job on that deal TBT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

So I had a go with this ball, and wow it felt excenlent. Smooth and soft a round the green and great of the driver. This will be used this season.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to the party actually getting to play a round with the Chrome Soft with a bad elbow and too much bad weather but it was worth the wait. This ball is all that others have said and more. It's just a joy to hit and compress and the distance gain is real. One area I thought would be an issue was the additional spin around the greens fearing it would check up and I would end up short too often until I adjusted to this change. What I found is this ball is just longer on chips and pitches so the added distance has it checking up right where I wanted it to. Love this ball. Like an idiot I let others in my foursome try it too, maybe shouldn't have as I lost my advantage as I'm sure next week all of us will be hitting the Chrome Soft. Unfortunately I purchased 3 boxes of B330 RXs on sale last fall. Now I will have to use them mostly on holes lined by ravines, water, houses and trees where they are in danger of having an abbreviated flight path.

Continue to be super impressed by this ball, Length, durability, feel, and greenside spin...
This ball simply does it all.
49 holes today and a few scuffs, and my sharpie dots are barely visible any longer, but still very playable!

Continue to be super impressed by this ball, Length, durability, feel, and greenside spin...
This ball simply does it all.
49 holes today and a few scuffs, and my sharpie dots are barely visible any longer, but still very playable!
49 holes, same ball. That's impressive in so many ways dude. Great feedback.

played these for the second time yesterday. The softness is very nice...feels good on both irons and woods. The durability was pretty good, i did have one scuff mark from a tree but that was after about 12 holes of playing the ball and hit a tree trying to punch out of the trees.

These didn't check up on short pitches/chips like i expected them too, more roll out than i thought i would get. Saw pretty similar results to the Z stars on short iron shots in to the green where I got minimal roll out.

For me they don't appear to be longer than other balls i normally play (B330-RX, Z Star/XV, Prov1x). I played them on a course I play regularly and with normal good swing i was at similar distances off the tee as my normal golf balls.

I am not disappointed in the ball but I have not been blown away by it either. I will continue to play these and will compare on course with other balls.

I have 3 sleeves left of the dozen I bought but I can't see using them. The new version of the SuperSoft is a much better ball for me and I can't see switching from it now.

I have 3 sleeves left of the dozen I bought but I can't see using them. The new version of the SuperSoft is a much better ball for me and I can't see switching from it now.
I actually bounce back and forth between the 2, the SS gives me a ton of confidence when I need it and the CS plays so good for me when I'm playing well. I hope that made sense.

Played these today. I am kind of indifferent. I didn't notice anything special. They checked up rather well around the greens but durability wise, I went through 3 balls today just with normal use. No cart paths or trees or anything. Some pretty big scuff marks. Overall, I played well today so I can't complain much but maybe my expectations were just really high.

Played these today. I am kind of indifferent. I didn't notice anything special. They checked up rather well around the greens but durability wise, I went through 3 balls today just with normal use. No cart paths or trees or anything. Some pretty big scuff marks. Overall, I played well today so I can't complain much but maybe my expectations were just really high.

Kind of how I feel. They were nice...I had better results with durability than you, but overall nothing that wow'd me and made me think this is the ball I need to be playing all the time.

Put this back in play today for 9 holes. It's a solid ball and has normalized for me. I am finding that it is about a half club shorter then other balls for me. I enjoy what I see but don't like being shorter than I am used to.

A big part of the reason I like this ball so much is that it performs similarly to premium balls at a lower price. But it is certainly more durable than most top end balls, IMO. I've played 27 straight holes with one ball and still no cover damage. It hasn't been all fairways and greens either. Pretty impressive

27 holes

1160239442058a4e8062b39f9e6f3a36.jpg

df5bc8d8f537f0bcc10ce46d876c2a49.jpg

98e20ba47f2841a0f7b7facd5381a811.jpg

8a551488efec3733b0de853533957931.jpg

I've enjoyed this ball, but I had a lot more success with the SR2 today. Spins more off the driver for me and it exaggerates my misses a little too much.

Really looking forward to trying them out, but still not available in shops around here. Callaway provided shops with the advertising material months ago, but still hasn't distributed the balls. So we have Chrome Soft-display cases stocked with SuperSoft balls...

Playing Pro V1x and CS lately, and I started to notice that in putting the CS jumps off the putter head more than the Pro V1x. CS sounds softer at impact but with the same stroke it actually pops and goes further for me. As our greens harden and play faster, I prefer putting with the Pro V1x, feeling a little more distance control. Anyone else notice anything like that?

I can honestly say (and had a thread like this a while back), in all of my testing, I have never noticed a golf ball have different distance control than another golf ball.

Back