In everyone's opinion, What are the most forgiving wedges?

jscincy

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello Guys... I'm looking to get fit for a new set off wedges this year and wad wondering what are considered the most forgiving and playable? In the past...10+ years ago... I played ping MB and have used different Vokeys ever since... I get a new set every 2 years so really have no other experience with other brands...

Let me know

Thanks

JS

A muscle back like product is not going to offer too much forgiveness in terms of missing, but many believe at that length and loft, its not too necessary. If one wants forgiveness, more bounce is a good start for many.

Then add that some companies have come with products that offer a bit of forgiveness and one can always get the wedges that match their set that will offer much more. My mind veers to the Cleveland SmartSole wedge with mass both behind the center and perimeter.

Hello Guys... I'm looking to get fit for a new set off wedges this year and wad wondering what are considered the most forgiving and playable? In the past...10+ years ago... I played ping MB and have used different Vokeys ever since... I get a new set every 2 years so really have no other experience with other brands...

Let me know

Thanks

JS

Forgiving in what way? Forgiving with turf interaction or on hitting full swings?

For full swings, the Cleveland Rotex 2.0 CB's are probably as forgiving of wedges you can find.

Forgiveness on full shots from fairways.... For instance.... My 56 goes from 90 to 120 yards... I was thinking more forgiveness will make my distances a little more consistent

If you use your wedges primarily for full swings, you could look into the ones that match your set.

I think the rtx 2.0 cb could be a good option too. Know a few guys are loving theirs

I have a lot of success with the TM ATV wedges. They have a little heft on the sole and I have no issue with full swings using the 50 or 54

If you use your wedges primarily for full swings, you could look into the ones that match your set.

This was my thought. Matching wedges from SGI sets are probably going to be your most forgiving, but the i25's like you have will still be WAY more forgiving on a full swing than a Vokey.

I agree with JB. If you are primarily using the wedge for full swings, one to match the set will be a great choice. They will produce enough spin on full shots. If you are looking for something for touch shots, then the RTX 2.0 CB would be a great choice. I play a forgiving gap wedge and then blade style 56 and 60. The 56 gets used quite often for both full and partial shots while the 60 is used exclusively for partial shots (if it ever comes out of the bag).

Set wedges for sure!

I have a lot of success with the TM ATV wedges. They have a little heft on the sole and I have no issue with full swings using the 50 or 54

I'll second this, I love my TM ATV wedges.

The most forgiving I have hit are the Fourteen DJ-11. They are not cheap, but they are really good. If I weren't a week away from getting some amazing clubs for Legacy, they would definitely be on my radar.

I have played set wedges down to a SW and LW with Ping g25's, Rapture V2's and k15's.

Nothing though is easier than a Cleveland Smart Sole S (58*) on full swings. It gets me 75 yds on a full short (I'm a short knocker) and takes care of the 15-70 yd pitches as well. It's a true hackers club but it's shaved 2-3 strokes off my avg since adding it to the bag.

I had to pick up a gap wedge this year to cover, well, a gap...between my PW and my SW. I struggled with what to buy and finally got a Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB wedge. I love it but it was a poor choice. I think wedges not from your set are fine at the bottom of the bag (say, 56* and/or 60*) but in a gap when you anticipate mostly full swings, not going with a wedge that fits in your set may be a mistake. It's not that the RTX is bad...it's great. But the weight and approach of the club make it a poor fit.

So, if it's at the bottom, there are a lot of good choices (I would look at the Nike Engage models out this year) but if it's in between irons and meant for full swings, I agree with the others here and suggest you go with something from your set.

Since you're looking to replace the Vokeys, I'd say it's moot. So, check out Nike from this year.

Agree on set wedges for full swings. Ideally you're getting the same forgiveness as your irons and proper gapping.

A little tip, go down to the highest lofted wedge in your set, then choke down to the bottom of the grip and take a full swing. See if that distance helps you any.

My Apex set I have down to the PW, which for me is right at 90 yds. Choking down gets me right at 80 yds with a full swing.

I agree with JB. Set wedges for full swings, Smart Sole C for chipping, and Smart Sole S for full swings, pitches, and sand.

I highly suggest getting a set wedge if you are having distance problems - especially with full swings.

I have a Pitch and Gap set wedge since I only really use them for full swings - one of the better decisions I have made....

Nothing though is easier than a Cleveland Smart Sole S (58*) on full swings. It gets me 75 yds on a full short (I'm a short knocker) and takes care of the 15-70 yd pitches as well. It's a true hackers club but it's shaved 2-3 strokes off my avg since adding it to the bag.

I feel the same way about the Tour Edge 1Out. It's 58 degrees, has a ton of perimeter weighting, lots of bounce, a heavy head and a fat sole. It's a piece of cake to hit on full swings.

The Cleveland Niblicks are also great. They're easy to hit for full shots, but also double as chippers and "recovery" clubs. The 37, 42 and 49 all give you a great alignment aid that really helps with chipping.

I'm mainly looking for a 54 and a 58... I have the matched gap wedge

I'm mainly looking for a 54 and a 58... I have the matched gap wedge

The i25 S and L wedges are great - notice you're playing the irons. Also the 588 RTX CBs.

I really like the look of the cally pm grinds.... Minus the green color lol

just gonna throw this out there, but consider taking the time to find and hit Miura k-grind wedges. They really do slide through the turf/sand better(in my opinion) and the feel is amazing. Where I've seen the most benefit with them is in deep rough.

Actually tested this out. The Mizuno JPX on a demo day destroyed the Cleveland Rotex wedges

TM ATV's

Back