Course Review: Montebello Country Club

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Montebello Country Club is located roughly fifteen miles south east of Los Angeles, Ca. In the distance you can take in views of the San Gabriel Mountains. The descriptive "Country Club" within the name can be misleading as the course is now a municipal course.

As you enter the course you walk underneath a gated entry and fairly large club house...
5858E30C-CE6B-4E71-A687-4E3F0B9F41D9_zpsi8alxyco.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

45D26904-5D3C-4451-AFD8-F85C6823E8CA_zpsqmhqlj1l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Also to the right you are greeted by three large practice putting areas with more than enough holes to suit a small high school golf team, which just happened to be practicing when I arrived. The greens were in very good shape, a little slow rolling, but as the summer season kicks into gear, I can see the pace picking up. I did not find an area where they allowed chipping or any sand practicing.

The Driving Range, unfortunately happens to be about a small football field walk outside of the golf course. There are several hitting areas, however they were all mat(s). Prices were not included in the green fees, however for $4.00 you received 50-60 balls. A decent price in my opinion.

Practice Facilities: B-

I proceeded to pay my green fees for a twilight session ($14.00) walking, which wasn't to bad for a 3pm twilight kickoff. The length(s) from the various tees offer challenges for all handicappers. As you can see below the course is quite long.

Black - 6616 yds Slope 124/71.6
Blue - 6553 yds Slope 123/71.4
White - 6030 yds Slope 119/68.8
Red - 5624 yds Slope 121/68.8

Immediately after the first hole I proceeded to what I thought was the 2nd tee, only to find out after I hit my drive that I was on 18. So right out of the gate I was greeted with the thought that maybe this wasn't the course to try and walk. Secondly, this didn't happen to be the only time that I couldn't figure out where to go from one green to the next tee box.

Tee Boxes: The tee boxes were showing some wear and tear, and could use some reseeding. Between the various tee placements, shot selection along with club selection was key. I didn't count all the bunkers, but they are numerous and strategically placed. Definitely a course that requires course management.

Fairways: The fairways were beautifully manicured and in great condition. Should you happen to venture off the fairway you were greeted with a thick 3-4 inch rough in places. Not sure if this is the norm, or just lack of cutting.

Layout: Outside of the confusion from hole to hole, the layout is great. The fairways are lined with pines and bunkers. The course has three lakes which come into play on seven holes, with one fronting a par three averaging 135-150 from the white tees. The second is a beautiful par four with significant elevation changes from tee to green, with the approach shot being over water to the green.

7F63A35E-5001-4150-B782-ED2E6D4E6395_zpsv6y58o22.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

B30508AA-02DD-4A89-BBC3-77DCDF8433C4_zpshkq01ejv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

16EF7E15-9B37-4E1D-B6C6-8DBE43FD2B23_zpsovmie9vr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Course Layout: B

The pace of play was exceptionally fast. I did not wait and finished the whole round walking in roughly 3 hours. Granted I teed off during twilight hours. I did see a marshall on the course making his rounds, but did not see any snacks being sold on the course.

Pace of Play: A

The rates for this course will not break the bank. Rates average anywhere from $14.00 twilight up to 36.00 for 18 with a cart on the weekend. They offer discounted rates if you stay at the hotel they have on property. (Hilton Garden Inn).

Pricing: A

From a purchasing side of things the ProShop in the clubs offered several options bag and apparel wise, however lacked the various club choices. I did see a few putters and such but nothing extensive. The clubhouse however had two actual bars, one being located outside for those who want to take in the scenery of the mountains in the distance. The bar inside offered sit down and snack type foods with decent prices. I did not see any locker rooms, however I rushed out to the course to manage daylight hours.

Amenities: A-

Overall I believe the course provides a challenging, but not over challenging track to play, within the city limits of Los Angeles. For the pricing one can't go wrong to play a round. I would like to see some grooming take place to the bunkers and tee boxes. I would recommend this course to others looking for a good budget type course.

Overall: B-

Well done, nice review! That seems like a bargain for LA area golf.

I enjoyed your review mmaynard! $14 twilight close to a major US city this time of year is a steal.

Thanks. Funny part of my review didn't make it in. I didn't play the course hole for hole. It was more like from 1 to 18, then back to 2. Missed 6,7,8,9 and somehow ended up on 10. Kind of like finding pieces to a puzzle. If anyone happened to be watching me they had to be laughing. Here I am trying to focus on my swing, yet the layout was frustrating me.

Great prices for a LA course. I am looking at playing another tomorrow and the prices were doubled.

Course Review: Montebello Country Club

The prices have dropped some from what is depicted here.

Nicely done. Looks like a great place.

Nice review Matt, tough to beat that price anywhere period!

Back