Purgatory Golf Club - Noblesville IN

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
http://www.purgatorygolf.com/
scorecard.jpg

http://www.purgatorygolf.com/pgdir/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/PGC_YardageBook.pdf
[h=2]The Place[/h] Mike & Tenna Merchent purchased the property for Purgatory Golf Club 1n 1997 at an auction from a family trust. There was a kind woman there that talked about the Sassafras trees that grew on the property. That conjured up lovely images, so the golf course was originally going to be named Sassafras Golf Club. We had a logo designed, and even had business cards made.
But then we started doing market research on the golfer demographic. The experienced golfer enjoys a challenge. Sassafras turned out to be a golf course you might play, but you wouldn’t admit it.
[h=2]The Name[/h] In medieval poetry, Purgatory was referred to as “sweet misery.” Golfing often feels like that; acts of difficulty while obtaining something wonderful. We changed our mind and decided to name our golf course Purgatory as a beautiful place for golfers to test their limits. According to religious mythology, Purgatory is the place where souls pay for their earthly mistakes so they can gain entry to heaven. The name conjures images of overcoming obstacles to achieve eternal happiness.
We’ve also had a few people ask us about what the land looked like prior to construction. Below is an aerial of the property, which was farmland. You can see there was a creek running through the property, and some natural undulation.

Tips look like a blast :alien:

So that 13th hole.. Kind of a cruel par 5 if you were psychotic to play from way back. What is the carry to the fairway just out of stupid curiosity?

741 yards from the back tee on the 13th! Holy crap. I would like to try it just once to see how I do.

741 yards from the back tee on the 13th! Holy crap. I would like to try it just once to see how I do.
I'm thinking Driver/Driver/Driver!!!

So that 13th hole.. Kind of a cruel par 5 if you were psychotic to play from way back. What is the carry to the fairway just out of stupid curiosity?

Holy efff, you're right. I'd say the carry is probably longer than 75% of golfers can drive the ball. Good thing is if you are crazy/good enough to play at 7700 yards, you deserve what you got coming. And I think I will have to laser it when we play there, just for S's and G's.

There are maybe three holes where I look at the yardages on the card and say to myself, "oh well that's not horrible" the rest make me sad. I would get a lot of use out of the top portion of my bag on a lot of those holes.

So who is playing the Reds with me? Anyone? No one? That's what I thought.

I will see you on the blue tee box.

According to their HC suggestion I'm playing green :)

If I could play it a second time, I'd enjoy tackling it from the tips. Not on the first run though. GregDan, we could do this at some point this summer. I'm sure Keygo would join us.

If I could play it a second time, I'd enjoy tackling it from the tips. Not on the first run though. GregDan, we could do this at some point this summer. I'm sure Keygo would join us.

I am always down.

Hey I am trying to set up a round at Cherry hill. I won't clog this thread up but check out the OH/IN/KY thread.

I play there several times a year and the only thing that keeps me from being a member, is the hour drive. One of the greatest links course's anywhere. Love the place.

Dude! Blues playing at 74/131 at almost 6800 yards!? That's what my HCP fits into, but dang that sound just like the Dye in PS.

I'm thinking whites...

Dude! Blues playing at 74/131 at almost 6800 yards!? That's what my HCP fits into, but dang that sound just like the Dye in PS.

Perfect! I loved the Dye course. I know most enjoyed the Clive but I really liked the Dye better.

Hmmm I can see the name and course go hand in hand!

I'm going to guess that more than a few of us will be trying that hole from the tips, just to say we did it.

I'm going to guess that more than a few of us will be trying that hole from the tips, just to say we did it.

741 yards man, I've never played a par 5 over 600!

741 yards man, I've never played a par 5 over 600!

They're as enjoyable as a root canal.

741 really should be a par 6. Maybe it plays shorter due to roll hahaha

This looks like a really nice golf course can't wait to see how I can handle it with you guys.

They're as enjoyable as a root canal.

741 really should be a par 6. Maybe it plays shorter due to roll hahaha

You'd have to coat the fairways in ice or concrete in order to get the roll needed to make it legit. It's tempting to try, I'd have to say par on that hole would win a skin.

I think 7 and 12 might be more fun from the back. 230ish 3s on both. That's an easy 3i for Jeff Spicoli

Back