Short game drills

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
In an effort to improve myself, I really want to work on my short game. Drive for show, putt for dough!

For putting I plan on using the towel drill for speed control and a tee gate for control all while using a metronome for tempo.

What chipping and pitching drills could I use to help with striking, accuracy, and form?

For chipping, a drill I do is I take a number (depends on how much time I have) usually 50, and hit that many chips. I putt out, and the amount of chips I can't get up and down, is the amount of up and downs I have to make in a row before I can leave the the practice green. So if I miss 14 up and downs out of the 50, I have to get 14 up and downs in a row before I'm done. It's good for accuracy and it adds pressure too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really want to improve I'd look into SeeMore SPI method

What I started to do with my chipping the other was, chip like you would on the course. Basically play one ball and do you chip to the flag or pin, then walk up to it on the green and make the putt. Makes you really look at how well you chipped up to hole and puts some more pressure on you to get it closer to the hole.

Then onto putting what I do is put a coin down 2-3 feet away and try to hit it with the ball to work on my aim. Also I put two tee''s right infront of the cup just big enough for the ball to go through. That really gives you a small target to get in the cup and will really help you out. Lastly for lag putting I get 4-5 balls and just try and put something down at 10-15 feet and try and get all the balls right inlined with that. Really have been working hard on this, this week and hopefully it will show tomorrow.

For chipping, a drill I do is I take a number (depends on how much time I have) usually 50, and hit that many chips. I putt out, and the amount of chips I can't get up and down, is the amount of up and downs I have to make in a row before I can leave the the practice green. So if I miss 14 up and downs out of the 50, I have to get 14 up and downs in a row before I'm done. It's good for accuracy and it adds pressure too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! This is a great idea. I can't wait to try this out at the putting green.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

I do a lot of pitching in my backyard. Put out a hard surface target, so i can hear the ball hit it. A trash can lid works well. I then try to hit the lid 2 or 3 times in a row. I practice hitting high soft pitches, and lower pitches to the target. I also try to play some lousy lies, so I feel prepared for bad breaks on the course.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Back