How do you measure how well you're playing?

Trout Bum

Regional Rival
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How do you measure how well you're playing when you're out on the course?

Is it the ability to hit certain shots? Hit regular shots consistently? Fairways?

How do you know?

Definitely my ability to get GIRs and FIR they usually come when my ball striking is solid. I also look at my recovery stats as well if I'm tracking them, putts per round as well.

Using Tapatalk

Score.

But haven't you had a round where you're striking the ball well and just not scoring well?

The main indicator for me would be hitting my 'normal' shot consistently. If this is working then usually the rest of my game will fall into place as I can play my shots with a fairly good idea of where it is going to end up

Putting can be another matter though.....sometimes I can be on a roll, but other times I have a habit of leaving putts short when my brain just doesn't want to compute based on the green speed :banghead:

Consistency is always going to be the biggest issue for me and getting everything working to post a good score....when it works I can be somewhere close to 80, but when one part isn't quite working you can usually add another 5-6 shots per round

But haven't you had a round where you're striking the ball well and just not scoring well?

Sure but at the end of the day the only thing that matters on the card, in a competition or to a handicap is score.

I'll take an ugly 73 vs a sweet swinging 80.

Would you rather have a thinned ball roll up and give you a hole in one or a beauty of a shot that will land 15 feet away from the pin?

Sure but at the end of the day the only thing that matters on the card, in a competition or to a handicap is score.

Would you rather have a thinned ball roll up and give you a hole in one or a beauty of a shot that will land 15 feet away from the pin?

I was staying away from score, but i agree, I beat my buddy the other day because of a thinned wedge that ended up 3 ft from the cup for birdie

Using Tapatalk

I just gauge the way I feel. Sometimes it's point and shoot out there. Most of the time, it's a struggle. I have probably only had all parts of my game really one 2 or 3 times in my life.

Consistency for me with ability to hit certain shots and good ball striking. Overall score is the determining factor at the end of the round.

For me it's score. I never have all shots working together, so an ugly par that was saved by a good pitch and putt works for me. Now this may all change if I can get my tee to green game solid but that is highly unlikely.

Well said, I agree score is a huge one at the end of the day, your explanation was really good.

Well said, I agree score is a huge one at the end of the day, your explanation was really good.

I do understand exactly what you are saying however. I just dont think of myself as a good enough player to measure it any other way.

I agree with JB its score, no doubt about it.....but I will say if I am hitting the ball well and not scoring it doesn't bother me as much

"Playing well" can be taken in more than one way. I've had days where my ball-striking was phenomenal (by my standards) but I just didn't score, and I've had days where I'm missing greens left and right but had a short game that was on fire and I ended up shooting a low round. I'm not a big fan of scoring well but playing bad because it'll never last. That's not a consistent way to play. Striking the ball well and not scoring is probably better because it leads to consistency.

Having said that I judge my round by my driving. The rest of my game is solid and consistent enough where my score is LARGELY dictated by how well I drive the ball. For me, and the courses I play, bad driving = bad scores no matter how good the rest of my game is.

I'm with JB on this one, when all is said and done, it is score.

Definitely score first. But the quality and consistency of.my strikes second. Usually, those go hand in hand

I agree with JB its score, no doubt about it.....but I will say if I am hitting the ball well and not scoring it doesn't bother me as much

My thoughts exactly

By how many times I ask the wife for another ball.

Score is the name of the game for me

Scorecard

Ball striking and most importantly the end result of my score

Score is the ultimate measure of one's game. But I feel good about my game when I'm hitting fairways and greens. I have more confident to hit other shots when I'm driving the ball well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Score, but I'll say that if I shoot a bit higher than I'd like, but realize I only hit like 6 FIR and 4 GIR, then my scramble game must be on point.
The other day I shot a 84 or something and only hit 4 fairways and 2 greens. I was thinking, 'gee, imagine if I could hit more shots from the fairway!'.

Like my dad always says..."I'd rather be lucky than good anyday"

Score is the ultimate tape measure at the end of the day.

But I also factor in how well I am striking the ball or driving it as my swing change continues. All I can do at this point is try and make a consistent swing that produces a consistent result.

Back