Need to stop pulling the ball

mikey310

Reaction score
Handicap
I go throught it every year. I am hitting the ball great and then all of the sudden I start to pull the ball. It usually happens about the same time that I start hitting the driver ok. I usually fail to rotate my body with the driver which ends up in pushes and fades. Then when I start to hit that straighter and much longer, my irons start to go left. I know it is over rotation of some sort. The ball starts lefts and falls about 5-10yds off the target line. So if anyone has any drills or thoughts on why I am hitting it to the left they would greatly appreciated.

try the swing help forum. Freddie Kong can help out, especially if you post a video of your swing(s)

Moved to Swing Tips.

I do the same thing, but have been concentrating on bumping my hips toward the target and turning later, rather than spinning out with my hips when I start the downswing. It's been helping me.

Freddie can help a brazillion times more than that!

Freddie can help a brazillion times more than that!

that reminds me of a George W Bush joke... i don't want to derail the thread so I'll just choose to believe that you are referencing it. I lol'd :D

on topic - I've caught myself with the same issue. a couple of months ago I changed my swing (significantly for the better) to focus on hip rotation. I was severely lacking it before and now I'm not... but I tend to overdo it occasionally. over rotation caused the same results for me that you are seeing. if you can get some video done, I bet FK will see the culprit.

I have a similar problem. Using a strong grip with driver, I forget that the same grip will produce a pretty wicked pull. The first couple swings with a weaker grip (or neutral) feel like there is no chance I'm getting the clubhead thru the ball. But there it goes near perfect straight shots.

I go throught it every year. I am hitting the ball great and then all of the sudden I start to pull the ball. It usually happens about the same time that I start hitting the driver ok. I usually fail to rotate my body with the driver which ends up in pushes and fades. Then when I start to hit that straighter and much longer, my irons start to go left. I know it is over rotation of some sort. The ball starts lefts and falls about 5-10yds off the target line. So if anyone has any drills or thoughts on why I am hitting it to the left they would greatly appreciated.
Hooks are not caused by over rotation. It's usually the exact opposite. If I had to guess, you are slightly over the top with limited hip release.

Make sure the right elbow is dropping into the right hip as the left hip pulls away from the ball on the down swing. This will get the club moving on the correct path. The hip release will help to square the face as the club fires down the line or a bit right of the line.

Freddie, how don you feel about the feeling of keeping the back to the target for as long as possible on the swing.

Freddie, how don you feel about the feeling of keeping the back to the target for as long as possible on the swing.
It's a great feeling, creates some good lag as well

It's a great feeling, creates some good lag as well

I think that move helps me not be stuck and then flip at the ball.

...I think

I think that move helps me not be stuck and then flip at the ball.

...I think
no flip, arms still turn it down and through. Watch Joran S and Patrick reed, they do it great

no flip, arms still turn it down and through. Watch Joran S and Patrick reed, they do it great

Right. Feels like the big muscles are at work. I also notice a lot of start right ball flights.

Right. Feels like the big muscles are at work. I also notice a lot of start right ball flights.
Gets the left side pulling hard as well.

What swing thought should I take in to keep my back to the target a little longer? Or is there another way to explain it? I apologize, I'm just having a hard time visualizing that.

What swing thought should I take in to keep my back to the target a little longer? Or is there another way to explain it? I apologize, I'm just having a hard time visualizing that.

For me, with my backswing completed i bump my weight left, I work my hands and arms down my chest with the feeling that my back is still towards the target.

The elbow to the hip tip is awesome, that was a big key for helping me stop coming over the top with my driver. Definitely give it a try for a bit to see if that can help you, once I started doing that with irons as well it helped straighten my shots there as well.

Great tip Freddie. When I pull I know I didn't get good weight transfer and it forces an OTT move so I shoot for getting onto my lead leg ASAP. It helps my swing finish properly.

He thought I use is, "stay behind the ball". My pulls usually come from what Freddie referenced as well as my left shoulder opening too early. If I focus on keeping my upper body slightly behind the ball and my lower body I'm able to get better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back